Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 03, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: What to Look for When Buying into an HOA/COA
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
AugustinD

11/15/2021 7:09 AM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 11/15/2021 6:44 AM

The part in bold jumped out at me. Are airbnb's not subject to Fair Housing laws?
I will share a specific anecdote on this point from one of my airbnb hosts. The host says yes, the airbnb company attempts to enforce Fair Housing laws and will take complaints from any airbnb guest. "Guest" of course means "short term tenant." This airbnb host has a downstairs finished basement with two bedrooms; one shared, full bath; one shared full kitchen; and a large share living room. The host and her husband advertise it as being for women only. The host can do this as long as the host is sharing space with the guest.

For this particular airbnb, arguably space is not being shared. Guests do pass through the main house somewhat, but there is a locked door that would keep out (or help keep out) any guest having ideas about getting into the hosts' space.

The host received a complaint from airbnb.com (transmitting a complaint from a guest) about the airbnb being "for women only." The host responded that her husband travels and she would not feel safe with men in the basement efficiency. Airbnb.com okayed the hosts' advertising her airbnb as 'for women only.'

One question that this begs to me is: What about guests (total strangers) sharing living space? If the guests share living space, can the airbnb host advertise 'for women only' (or 'for men only')?

My airbnb host also said she was not sure how to address transgender situations. She is quite the professional and did not say more. All I said was that I too thought this was a challenging situation.

I think the Fair Housing Act is currently being interpreted to mean discrimination against the transgender folks is prohibited: If a transgender woman applies for this host's ('for women only' space, then I think the host has to rent it to the transgender woman.

I am a proponent of complying with Fair Housing law but I personally feel that any shared space airbnb (two or more guests sharing baths, say) should be allowed to declare their airbnb for one gender only.

Of course, transgender folks using school bathrooms for their "identified gender" et cetera has come up a lot nationwide.

By all appearances, airbnb is subject to either fair housing laws; possibly business/customer service non-discrimination laws; or maybe both.

I am sitting here typing in an airbnb two-story townhome whose interior is pretty nice. I imagine there is a HOA. The home interior is quiet, despite three of us sharing the home. But the neighborhood is creepy and a bit dilapidated. Point being: These airbnbers are snapping up homes in poorer residential neighborhoods on the cheap and then cleaning up. I think the itinerant guests are not really going to help the neighborhood. Some guests may be bad news (drugs et cetera?).

I do wonder what the effect of airbnbs has been on the hotel business. Have things gone downhill at many discount hotels because of the competition from airbnbs and the need for hotels to cut costs? Kinda interesting.

But back to the forum. Yes, HOAs/COAs should prohibit airbnbs when the HOA/COA owners or board can legally do so.
AugustinD

11/15/2021 7:40 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 11/15/2021 7:09 AM
discrimination against the transgender folks is prohibited:
Pardon. That should have been "discrimination against transgender folks" et cetera.

I over-edit and mess up wording often.
AugustinD

11/15/2021 7:50 AM  
A number of sites say a home where (1) a host lives and (2) has five rental rooms or less is exempt from fair housing law.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > What to Look for When Buying into an HOA/COA

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement