Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 27, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Neighbor-Neighbor complaints
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
HenryS6
(Arizona)

09/27/2021 10:52 AM  
How do other associations handle neighbor-neighbor complaints?

We received 0 neighbor-neighbor complaints in the first 18 months I was on the board. Then in the last 6 months, we have received 3.

I'm suspecting that as we have become re-energized as an HOA, homeowners are realizing that we actually do stuff and take care of stuff, so when they have a neighbor-neighbor issue, they are now expecting we'll deal with it instead of them handling themselves.

I'm not wanting to get involved in neighbor-neighbor issues. I'm sort of the philosophy that we should have 2 or more neighbors complain about the problem neighbor before we get involved, so we know it's bothersome to the community and not just one person. The other board is silent on this. I plan to discuss it at our next meeting but am looking for some background to prepare for the meeting.
MaxB4

09/27/2021 10:54 AM  
Stay out of neighbor to neighbor disputes.
MichaelS56
(Minnesota)

09/27/2021 11:05 AM  
Max you said it all.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/27/2021 11:36 AM  
Posted By MichaelS56 on 09/27/2021 11:05 AM
Max you said it all.

I agree.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

09/27/2021 11:41 AM  
Agree with the others. Unless a covenant or rule is being violated, it is not an HOA issue. If laws are being broken, you can let the owner know to contact local authorities as appropriate, or just leave it as "not an hoa issue".

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
JerryD5
(Colorado)

09/27/2021 12:22 PM  
I agree....do not get involved. I speak from experience. It won't end well (typically). We had 3 homes in a row; lets call them homeowners A, B and C. The homeowners B had a history of HOA violations (they always fixed them when the PM sent them letters). Also, the husband was on the board and the wife served on our ARC. Homeowners A and C on either side were civil but tensions were starting to come to the surface. Every little thing that Homeowners B did was perceived as a slight. Homeowners A and C asked for the HOA board to host a meeting and mediate a solution. In the interest of harmony, the board agreed and the property manager set up a meeting. It was civil and each of the 3 homeowners got to voice their problems/solutions. Surprisingly, homeowners B agreed to be better neighbors. As we were ending the meeting, the wife matter of factly stated, "oh by the way, we are getting chickens and there is nothing you two can do about it." So much for harmony. Both homeowners A and C sold within the year and homeowners B did get their chickens (short lived as it was). They also sued the HOA (and lost). The wife was removed from her ARC position and the husband lost his reelection bid to the board. Fast forward several years, they are still in the HOA but do not talk with any of their neighbors.
BenA2
(Texas)

09/27/2021 1:58 PM  
It depends on what you mean by neighbor to neighbor complaint. If one neighbor makes a complaint that another neighbor is violating the CC&Rs, then I think you have a duty to take take action, at least in so much as you would have taken action otherwise. For example, if piles of garbage are not allowed, you cannot refuse to take action simply because it is only visible to one neighbor or only one neighbor complains.

If the neighbor's action does not violate any CC&Rs then you should stay out of it.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/27/2021 3:20 PM  
Posted By BenA2 on 09/27/2021 1:58 PM
It depends on what you mean by neighbor to neighbor complaint. If one neighbor makes a complaint that another neighbor is violating the CC&Rs, then I think you have a duty to take take action, at least in so much as you would have taken action otherwise. For example, if piles of garbage are not allowed, you cannot refuse to take action simply because it is only visible to one neighbor or only one neighbor complains.

If the neighbor's action does not violate any CC&Rs then you should stay out of it.

Sound advice.
KerryL1
(California)

09/27/2021 3:52 PM  
Agree with Douglas & Ben.
BobD4
(up north)

09/27/2021 7:10 PM  
Just for the record, jurisdictions have choices including to set up adjudicative tribunals to platform online resolution including of direct owner v owner friction. ( Talking : nuisances/interference with enjoyment that appear to potentially trigger governance documents. )

Two Canadian jurisdictions have shown that taxpayer-funded online dispute resolution - adjudicated by lawyers appointed as staff adjudicators - CAN function including amidst COVID-19. This has surprised me.

It's not a chance to win big awards, but rather to culminate in a Tribunal Order that can gain the status of conventional Court Order once so-registered.

Arguably not so popular with junior lawyers & paralegals, who would have handled a lot of such work before, whether or not it ever reached formal litigation . . . Mine was launched initially to resolve records access disputes.
AugustinD

09/28/2021 6:17 AM  
Posted By BenA2 on 09/27/2021 1:58 PM

Perfect.

I agree.
MichaelH34
(North Carolina)

10/04/2021 1:24 PM  
What about a CCR rule like the following? It would seem to require the HOA to respond to just about anything a neighbor might complain about.

"5.03 Nuisance. No owner of a Lot or Dwelling shall do or permit to be done any act, or accumulate any items or animals upon his property which is, or may become, a nuisance"
KerryL1
(California)

10/04/2021 2:18 PM  
Most CC&Rs have a "nuisance clause." But our GM would not send a courtesy letter to the alleged violator without confirmation by a staff member here. Nor would she call an alley ged violator to a hearing without confirmation by a 3rd party.
AugustinD

10/04/2021 2:57 PM  
Posted By MichaelH34 on 10/04/2021 1:24 PM
What about a CCR rule like the following? It would seem to require the HOA to respond to just about anything a neighbor might complain about.

"5.03 Nuisance. No owner of a Lot or Dwelling shall do or permit to be done any act, or accumulate any items or animals upon his property which is, or may become, a nuisance"
I agree with KerryL1 that such clauses are common nationwide.

Yes, the HOA is to investigate; be reasonable in its assessment (per the courts and one heckuva lot of case law on what constitutes a "nuisance"); possibly consult the HOA/COA attorney; and respond as it would with any other alleged violation of the CCRs.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Neighbor-Neighbor complaints

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement