Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, October 18, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Elections - Favors for Votes
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MarkH29
(California)

09/19/2021 2:48 PM  
I have recently been told that a board candidate is going door to door and holding zoom meetings allegedly promising favors to owners for votes to elect themselves and/or their group that is trying to take majority control of the HOA Board. Specific favors have been named such as approval of pending or denied architectural requests for specific units that have been denied or are pending for the board based on open meeting information.

Our election rules appear to be a boiler plate of all the HOA election laws in California and not specific to the building but includes Prohibited Activities "Attempting to solicit either a vote or proxy from another member through deceit, harassment, intimidation, improper influence, undue coercion, or force".

I have reported what I have been told to the Property Manager and I am running for the board as well as a current board member. Our annual election meeting is next week.

The owner involved appears to be disgruntled because of denied architectural requests that may violate fire or building codes and a rule change that prohibits the specific type of request.

People who may have been promised favors are probably not going to cooperate and a fine for violating the election rules is not likely a deterrent as the new Board who benefited from this activity will disregard or remove fines.

Challenging the election by an Owner seems costly and it is difficult to find attorney from what I read.

Any advice or suggestions?
MaxB4

09/19/2021 3:12 PM  
So how has the candidate violated the election rules. Promising to do something that maybe the current board is doing incorrectly is not against the law.
AugustinD

09/19/2021 3:18 PM  
Posted By MarkH29 on 09/19/2021 2:48 PM
Any advice or suggestions?
Do not make accusations on the basis of hearsay.
MaxB4

09/19/2021 3:24 PM  
Mark,

I will take what you said as fact, and not heresay. It doesn't rise to a violation of your election rules. I think I found the law firm that wrote these election rules. They are not written for a building, but based on the Civil Code, Corporation Code and then the Bylaws of your association. I found three sets of the same "boilerplate election rules", and they are specific to each association.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/19/2021 3:47 PM  
Mark

All is fair in love, war, and politics. Someone is kicking your ass to get elected and you are upset. You poor Little Darlin.
BenA2
(Texas)

09/19/2021 3:56 PM  
I do not think there is necessarily a violation or anything improper. If a candidate promises to approve an application because they believe it should have been approved before, that is not improper. That sounds more like a promise to interpret the CC&Rs more in favor of the owners, as opposed to quid pro quo for a vote.
MarkH29
(California)

09/19/2021 5:10 PM  
Posted By BenA2 on 09/19/2021 3:56 PM
I do not think there is necessarily a violation or anything improper. If a candidate promises to approve an application because they believe it should have been approved before, that is not improper. That sounds more like a promise to interpret the CC&Rs more in favor of the owners, as opposed to quid pro quo for a vote.

It seems like a quid pro quo for a vote and promises to grant approval for things without Board authorization or authority. We also have open meeting laws in California where board decisions have to be done in an open meeting and not in secret.
BenA2
(Texas)

09/19/2021 6:47 PM  
Posted By MarkH29 on 09/19/2021 5:10 PM
Posted By BenA2 on 09/19/2021 3:56 PM

It seems like a quid pro quo for a vote and promises to grant approval for things without Board authorization or authority. We also have open meeting laws in California where board decisions have to be done in an open meeting and not in secret.

It is inconceivable that the homeowner and the candidate both believe he can approve anything unilaterally. It sounds more like a promise to pursue an agenda of being more friendly to owners who submit applications. Even if the statement was exactly as you stated, I do not think it is reasonable to take it literally.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/20/2021 4:17 AM  
The point of electing someone to the board is for them to represent what you want. So what is wrong with the person saying they will do what they want if voted for? That is what they are there for...

Former HOA President
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/20/2021 4:51 AM  
I agree that the optics aren't totally great, but depending on what's being promised it's probably OK. This sounds more like campaign promises. Now if the candidate were promising to lower assessments (personal or in general) that would be a problem because it's not something they have any control over and it may be a violation of the CC&Rs.

This sounds similar to soliciting proxies, which many think is wrong but in fact isn't.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Elections - Favors for Votes

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement