Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, September 26, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Master deed question
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
GlenC
(South Carolina)

09/13/2021 9:35 PM  
I am looking into trying to get a parking rule changed. This is my first go round as an HOA member. I was told that what I was trying to change was in the master deed and the only way to change it is to get 67% of the owners vote. Does anyone have any ideas besides trying to get 67%? We are lucky if we get two or three people to vote on anything let alone 2/3 the complex. Thanking in advance.
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/14/2021 2:09 AM  
The only way to amend the covenants (aka the master deed) is to gather support.

This can be done by newsletters, holding meetings, holding socials where the issue is discussed, door to door campaigning, etc.

Remember, you need to have 67% of the units owners, not residents (as I suspect some units may be rented).

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/14/2021 10:43 AM  
Glen

Gather Proxies supporting the change. Without Proxies we would never even have enough people (20%) for an Annual Meeting, never mind a bylaw Changer (51% saying Yes) nor a Covenant Changer (67% saying Yes).

It can be done by a Petitions and over a period of time but have an attorney draw up the Petitions as it can be tricky.
JanineR
(Tennessee)

09/16/2021 8:23 AM  
Google "hybrid voting hoa"
There are independent companies that will facilitate hoa/coa voting by paper or online, if your governing documents and you state laws allow it. People being able to click a vote helps to increase the turnout.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/16/2021 9:12 AM  
The master deed forms part of the contract on people's homes, which is why it requires the agreement of a large majority of homeowners to change things. Count your blessings, it's 75% in my community.

You need to persuade people to see things your way. If they don't, then there is no short cut around this - and if a community does try to cut corners, they're setting themselves up for legal challenges which they will lose. Amending governing docs costs money - around $1000 for the legal work in my part of the world - and the money will be spent whether the amendment passes or fails. So responsible boards won't even attempt it unless they believe there is broad community support for the change.

Parking always seems to be an issue in HOAs and especially in condo communities. You'll never keep everyone happy, and there are probably good reasons that things are done the way they are currently (unless you have a poorly written or very old parking restriction, which does happen).

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Master deed question

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement