Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, September 26, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA audit levels and costs?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JdW
(Texas)

09/03/2021 12:09 PM  
From what I understand, most HOAs do "compilation" audits as they are much cheaper than Review and (real) Audits.

I am seeking comments on other board experiences with the different audit levels and the costs and the processes involved to get documents to a CPA.
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/04/2021 7:15 AM  
We do financial reviews with a cpa.

No issues getting documents back and forth, email is your friend.

If I recall correctly, the cost was around $2,500. 130lots,self managed, excel for tracking payments.

For others who may not know the differences between an compilation, review or audit, see the following thread:
Subject: Financial Audits, Reviews or Compilation Which do you use? (old thread, links within that thread may or may not work)
SheliaH
(Indiana)

09/04/2021 7:24 AM  
Our experience is similar to Tim's. I don't remember the cost, as I've been off the board for some time, but we have a property manager who makes sure the auditor gets whatever's needed.

Once you've decided what type of audit you want (reading the article Tim mentioned is a start), keep in mind the cost will also depend on the services your community provided and it's size. The more services and the bigger the community, the more money may be involved. Of course, you must do your due diligence by asking for references and checking them, checking if complaints have been filed and how they were resolved.
AugustinD

09/04/2021 7:30 AM  
JdW, from prior threads of yours, this is a condominium, correct? At one of my condominiums, around 2016 the cost of a non-full blown audit was over $11,000. I think it was a "financial review" that was done. The CPA was a polite, just the facts kind of gal. I thought her input was excellent.

I would expect a CPA's inspection of the books (at whatever level; compilation, review, audit) requires a lot more time and effort for condominiums compared to single family home HOAs. This is due to the infrastructure being more extensive and complicated at a condominium.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

09/04/2021 8:39 AM  
Posted By JdW on 09/03/2021 12:09 PM
From what I understand, most HOAs do "compilation" audits as they are much cheaper than Review and (real) Audits.

I am seeking comments on other board experiences with the different audit levels and the costs and the processes involved to get documents to a CPA.

Our audits cost approximately $1,500 per year to keep us in compliance. Depends on the state and the complexity of your HOA organization
MaxB4

09/04/2021 9:52 AM  
There are essentially four types of HOA reviews:

1. Compilation
2. Review
3. Audit
4. Forensic Audit

In California, unless the governing documents state otherwise, a review is required if the annual gross income is over $75K.

Here is a link to an article, How much does an HOA audit cost? 5 Tips to lowering your fees. https://hoatax.com/how-much-does-an-hoa-audit-cost/

My associations pay $1500 for the review and $2000 if the CPA is doing the taxes also.
KerryL1
(California)

09/04/2021 11:07 AM  
We have an Audit done every year on a fairly complex budget with three reserve accounts. This year it cost $1,536.
AugustinD

09/04/2021 11:19 AM  
Regarding the high (relative to others) cost of the CPA's financial review to which I alluded above: I wonder if it was so high ($11,000, give or take), because in the 25 year history of the condo, the condo had never had a CPA do any kind of compilation, review or audit.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA audit levels and costs?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement