Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, November 30, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA & Social Committee issues-HELP
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BenM3

08/29/2021 8:38 AM  
I've been on various boards and never seemed to have an issue with the Social Committee till now. Unfortunately the community I now reside is in great peril and the social committee seems to be just as out of the control as the community. I reside in Florida and know my statutes, but need help trying to re-organize this group. This committee has been left alone for years, but it seems they have an abundance of money, make their own rules and will not adhere to board requests for updates from meetings and minutes.

I've always followed a procedure that they can not make a profit, but the pushback is beginning to flare up. How can I get around this issue? Any insights or suggestions would be helpful. I reside in Florida and our statute 720 doesn't cover this section. I know that based on governing rules and regulations that are set fourth in our documents should cover this, but I have found nothing to substantiate this committee.

Thanks for your time.
AugustinD

08/29/2021 8:59 AM  
Posted By BenM3 on 08/29/2021 8:38 AM
I've been on various boards and never seemed to have an issue with the Social Committee till now. [snip] This committee has been left alone for years, but it seems they have an abundance of money, make their own rules and will not adhere to board requests for updates from meetings and minutes.

I've always followed a procedure that they can not make a profit, but the pushback is beginning to flare up. How can I get around this issue? Any insights or suggestions would be helpful. I reside in Florida and our statute 720 doesn't cover this section. I know that based on governing rules and regulations that are set fourth in our documents should cover this, but I have found nothing to substantiate this committee.
-- First, those who serve on HOA committees serve at the pleasure of the HOA board. For one, see the Florida Nonprofit Corporation Act, section 617.0825, at http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0600-0699/0617/0617.html Note in particular this statement from the Act: "Each committee must have two or more members who serve at the pleasure of the board of directors."
If you cannot find similar language in your HOA's governing docs, then please post and attach your HOA's Declaration or Bylaws with identifying information (like the name of your HOA) redacted.

-- Second, what exactly do you mean when you say this committee has "an abundance of money"? From where is the committee getting this money? Does the committee have its own bank account? What do you mean when you say the committee is making a profit?

-- Third, are individual committee members pocketing money intended for activities the committee runs for all owners in the HOA? If so, see FS 720 at http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0720/0720.html, and do a keyword search for "compensation prohibited".

-- Fourth, one authority that says the board runs the HOA is the Florida nonprofit corporation statute. See section 617.0801 states:"All corporate powers must be exercised by or under the authority of, and the affairs of the corporation managed under the direction of, its board of directors, subject to any limitation set forth in the articles of incorporation."
Your HOA's Bylaws or CC&Rs likely say the same. Granted you may not recognize the wording and need some help on this from those experienced with this sort of thing.

-- Fifth, are you a director (and so a member of the board)? Do a majority of directors feel as you do?
KerryL1
(California)

08/29/2021 9:11 AM  
Same question as Augustin, especially where does their money come from??

In CA, committees that spend HOA funds, like our Social committee, must turn in meeting minutes that show how they spent funds each month.

If the Committee doesn't adhere to the Board's request for information about its activities, the Board can disband it. Why do you, Ben, think the board hasn't disbanded this committee.
TimB4
(Tennessee)

08/29/2021 12:43 PM  
I have a different question:

Are the funds of the committee kept separately or commingled with the operating budget?

If they are kept separately, they should be their own entity and pay appropriate taxes.

If they are commingled, any funds that come from things other then assessments, those funds are taxable (using form 1120-H) or, worst case, if the funds are too much - then the Association may be required to file form 1120.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA & Social Committee issues-HELP

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement