Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, December 09, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Projectors (computer accessory)
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
HenryS6
(Arizona)

08/25/2021 7:16 AM  
How many of your associations own projectors?

I just put a pitch in for to buy one - I'm the board president and create detailed powerpoint presentations full of community pictures and project plans - for my use when running meetings. The idea seemed to fall flat, one person suggested that I just borrow one from other homeowners in the community.

We have a bunch of money left to spend this year (tens of thousands of dollars) and no great ideas of what to spend it on, so I thought an inexpensive projector would be beneficial. I don't have any desire to go around and borrow other people's equipment to run our HOA meetings.

I'll be honest - for me to run a meeting (board meetings, budget ratification meetings, and annual meetings), having a screen that everyone can see and I can present powerpoint presentations or other use is essential. If they don't want to buy a projector for my use, we'll have to use Zoom instead. And Zoom of course is not free either unless we "borrow" a work account.

Anyways, just wondering if other HOAs own projectors for use during meetings.

CarissaM

08/25/2021 7:18 AM  
We do not have one. We don't have enough people to even care what was on a projector.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

08/25/2021 7:23 AM  
We did buy one and use it for:

1.) Board meetings.
2.) Roughly once a month the Board meets alone and we use it to show educational videos related to HOA's. This has been a tremendous help to educate Board members on various topics.
3.) Occasionally we have movie night at the clubhouse.

We also have a pull down screen.
AugustinD

08/25/2021 7:34 AM  
HenryS6, are you sure that a large, modern flat screen TV won't work? Modern TVs are easy to connect to a computer such that what is on the computer screen is displayed on the TV screen.
HenryS6
(Arizona)

08/25/2021 7:45 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 08/25/2021 7:34 AM
HenryS6, are you sure that a large, modern flat screen TV won't work? Modern TVs are easy to connect to a computer such that what is on the computer screen is displayed on the TV screen.

A modern flat screen TV would be great, but we don't have a clubhouse. Our board meetings are either held at the firehouse, the library, or a board members home. We can easily take a projector from one location to another but cannot move around a modern flatpanel TV.

With that said, I am in concurrence that projectors are a bit dated.
TimB4
(Tennessee)

08/25/2021 8:24 AM  
Henry,

If you have tens of thousands left after expenses, I would question the budget and the amount of assessments.

How are your Reserves?
Are they fully funded?

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

08/25/2021 8:34 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 08/25/2021 8:24 AM
Henry,

If you have tens of thousands left after expenses, I would question the budget and the amount of assessments.

How are your Reserves?
Are they fully funded?

Good question.
CarissaM

08/25/2021 8:39 AM  
Do these homeowners who allow your meetings have a TV that could connect? Does the library have a projector? Does the firehouse have a TV? You might just need an HDMI cord to connect to what is already there. But it was an interesting note that you have so much leftover funds. I would want to pass that down to my homeowners in reduced dues, reserves to avoid assessments later, or maybe a Zoom account...etc.
HenryS6
(Arizona)

08/25/2021 9:00 AM  
Posted By CarissaM on 08/25/2021 8:39 AM
Do these homeowners who allow your meetings have a TV that could connect? Does the library have a projector? Does the firehouse have a TV? You might just need an HDMI cord to connect to what is already there. But it was an interesting note that you have so much leftover funds. I would want to pass that down to my homeowners in reduced dues, reserves to avoid assessments later, or maybe a Zoom account...etc.

The current logical home to have a board meeting does not have a TV in the room. The firehouse and the library do not have projectors or TVs either. They are BYOE (bring your own equipment) environments.

The projector is $600, or roughly $2/homeowner, and will last for many years.
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

08/25/2021 9:03 AM  
Posted By HenryS6 on 08/25/2021 9:00 AM
Posted By CarissaM on 08/25/2021 8:39 AM

The current logical home to have a board meeting does not have a TV in the room. The firehouse and the library do not have projectors or TVs either. They are BYOE (bring your own equipment) environments.

Renting a projector and a screen locally may be an option.

If your Board purchases one keep in mind where it will be stored and if future Boards will even use it. It may last for many years, but if it's not used regularly than it's a one time expense.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
ND
(PA)

08/25/2021 11:45 AM  
I convinced my penny-pinching Board to purchase one for our HOA years ago with primary purpose of hosting community movie nights in common space. The event was always a big hit . . . money well spent IMO! We used it for all things you and others listed as well.

I say let the idea stew with your Board and revisit it next meeting with possibly more and better explanation as to why having one would be beneficial.

An inexpensive projector is much more convenient than an external monitor/TV screen and the best solution for your needs.

You seem to be going above and beyond in your role as president and what you're doing sounds awesome and very thorough. Not getting support from your Board to the tune of a measly $600 is ridiculous.

Keep working at it, they'll support the purchase if they know what's good for them, the Board, and the HOA.
TimB4
(Tennessee)

08/25/2021 12:58 PM  

Well, the one you want might be $600.

However, there are many you can purchase for under $100 that would work for meetings.

Personally, if I were on your board (and my background is broadcasting), I would tell you to purchase your own and use it for board meetings if you want or simply email the presentation to everyone.

Putting my personal opinion aside, concerns would be:

Will it be used in the future after you leave the board?
Who would store it?
Maintenance requirements (the more expensive, the more maintenance is typically needed)?
What policies would we need if other members wanted to use it?
What other alternatives are there (with cost comparisons)?
How often would it be used (goes to cost comparisons for other options)?

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

08/25/2021 1:33 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 08/25/2021 12:58 PM

Well, the one you want might be $600.

However, there are many you can purchase for under $100 that would work for meetings.

Personally, if I were on your board (and my background is broadcasting), I would tell you to purchase your own and use it for board meetings if you want or simply email the presentation to everyone.

Putting my personal opinion aside, concerns would be:

Will it be used in the future after you leave the board?
Who would store it?
Maintenance requirements (the more expensive, the more maintenance is typically needed)?
What policies would we need if other members wanted to use it?
What other alternatives are there (with cost comparisons)?
How often would it be used (goes to cost comparisons for other options)?

I agree a sufficient one can be had for less then $100.00
LetA
(Nevada)

08/25/2021 1:49 PM  
With so many TV's that have HDMI ports, the same for laptops and smart devices that have dongles for HDMI, there is no need to have a projector.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

08/25/2021 2:16 PM  
Posted By LetA on 08/25/2021 1:49 PM
With so many TV's that have HDMI ports, the same for laptops and smart devices that have dongles for HDMI, there is no need to have a projector.

There is when you have a small clubhouse and you don't have the space for large TV. Also, the cost of a projector and a pull down screen mounted in the ceiling is just as cost effective as buying a TV.
HenryS6
(Arizona)

08/26/2021 6:49 AM  
Posted By LetA on 08/25/2021 1:49 PM

I think you might be thinking for personal use, rather than for HOA meeting use where the meetings are not in a clubhouse. We don't own a clubhouse. The meetings are held in a person's home in a dining room where there is not a TV in the room anyway.
ND
(PA)

08/26/2021 7:30 AM  
True they exist, but if you spend $100 on a projector, you'll get a generic piece of junk with poor image quality/brightness and capability only for small rooms/meetings that you'll likely have to replace in short term (eventually spending close to what you propose to spend now on a better projector).

BUT . . . if you spend only a little bit more (like the $600 projectors you are looking at), you can get a name-brand projector with significantly better specs that could be utilized for much more than a small meeting in a small room . . . like movie nights, sporting events, homeowner meetings in a large space, etc.

It's $600 for a community that sounds like they have gobs of money. It will be money well spent to help an obviously interested, involved, dedicated Officer/Board Member conduct business more efficiently, professionally, thoroughly, and engagingly.

You don't need to spend significant time and effort generating policies; doing ROI and cost comparison studies; and researching warranties and maintenance & repair plans/contracts. Just keep accountability of the projector and make sure it doesn't end up on ebay by some future unethical Board Member.

$0.33/home for a $100 crap projector or $2/home for a $600 decent projector . . . pfffft. An expense easily justifiable to the community (if it ever comes to that, which I doubt it ever will) when they see it in action at the next annual meeting.

Or the Board can continue to be tightwads and eventually lose you as an Officer/Board Member because you get fed up putting in tons of work only to have the rest of them tune out while you try to display things from your laptop screen and reference emails, documents, and digital presentations that they've never bothered to read or look at . . . sorry this hits a bit close to home for me! Haha good luck!

HenryS6
(Arizona)

08/26/2021 7:50 AM  

Or the Board can continue to be tightwads and eventually lose you as an Officer/Board Member because you get fed up putting in tons of work only to have the rest of them tune out while you try to display things from your laptop screen and reference emails, documents, and digital presentations that they've never bothered to read or look at . . . sorry this hits a bit close to home for me! Haha good luck!

Thank you.

Honestly, I am slightly offended that no one thought that investing in a projector was a good thing. I spend hours preparing for the meeting, taking pictures of our neighborhood, gathering up documents, and putting together a powerpoint so we have all of the important information, photographs, etc, in front of us for our meeting.

Clearly, I question if the other board members value the time that I spend preparing for our meetings and helping make the best possible use of their time. I think it's really important that we use our time well, and passing around paper documents and trying to read over each others shoulder is both unprofessional and a poor use of our time as volunteers.
ND
(PA)

08/26/2021 9:11 AM  
Posted By HenryS6 on 08/26/2021 7:50 AM

Thank you.

Honestly, I am slightly offended that no one thought that investing in a projector was a good thing. I spend hours preparing for the meeting, taking pictures of our neighborhood, gathering up documents, and putting together a powerpoint so we have all of the important information, photographs, etc, in front of us for our meeting.

Clearly, I question if the other board members value the time that I spend preparing for our meetings and helping make the best possible use of their time. I think it's really important that we use our time well, and passing around paper documents and trying to read over each others shoulder is both unprofessional and a poor use of our time as volunteers.

Again, I suggest you let it stew with them, refocus your proposal, and try again next meeting if you are truly passionate about getting a projector. But don't directly outwardly accuse them of being unsupportive, disinterested tightwads . . . that won't get you support.

If your initial presentation of "we need a projector" was the first they've heard of this idea, then I think their response is appropriately cautious and questioning. They've not been thinking of the various benefits for as long or as thoroughly as you have. But in time, I think you can convince them that this is an appropriate, valuable, and reasonable investment.

And (honestly) most other Board Members likely do not totally value your time and efforts. While it's a tough reality, it's ok in my opinion. It's the way you operate best and arrive at your decision-making, you get value out of it, and it is certainly an efficiency and value-added activity for your HOA and Board whether they fully understand that or not. You take pride in what you do and that should be enough motivation for you.

When/if they no longer have your thorough presentation and decision-making as part of the HOA/Board, then the $600 saved by not buying a projector will be spent many, many times over as, for example, they make hasty and uninformed decisions on inflated contracts, fail to appropriately keep up with maintenance & repair and have to prematurely replace expensive reserve items, and other similar scenarios that come with not being smart, informed and thorough in decision-making.

But I encourage you to not lose hope.
HenryS6
(Arizona)

08/26/2021 11:33 AM  
I just want to say thanks all, and especially for the suggestion that I e-mail out the powerpoint presentation ahead of the meeting. Once we start meeting in person, I will do that and ask everyone to bring printed copies of the presentation with them. Quickly they will tire of printing (unreimbursed) copies of the presentation and mention that they would prefer we had a projector, at which point they might be willing to fund one. Or they decide they don't mind printing at their own expense and bringing printed presentations along with them to each meeting, in which case we don't need a projector.
LetA
(Nevada)

08/26/2021 5:11 PM  
How about emailing everyone in attendance the .ppt file and they can all follow along on their personal devices, kind of like making paper copies.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Projectors (computer accessory)

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement