Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, December 09, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: BoD blocking speaking of non-members?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AdamL1
(Idaho)

08/23/2021 3:46 PM  
So question about this. I'm dealing with a cantankerous HOA board that is trying to string me up for some issues, and I'm trying to get some sort of hearing or official board meeting conversation to discuss the issue. However, the BoD is claiming it is against the CCR's to allow non-members to speak. One would think that if they are discussing potential legal action, they might want to allow an industry expert to come talk about the issue, right? I can't find a single reference in our docs about banning non-members from speaking at meetings. Can anyone give any insight into this?
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

08/23/2021 4:03 PM  
Is this a monthly meeting where other residents will be attending? If not what kind of meeting is it?
AugustinD

08/23/2021 4:19 PM  
Posted By AdamL1 on 08/23/2021 3:46 PM
I'm dealing with a cantankerous HOA board that is trying to string me up for some issues, and I'm trying to get some sort of hearing or official board meeting conversation to discuss the issue. However, the BoD is claiming it is against the CCR's to allow non-members to speak. One would think that if they are discussing potential legal action, they might want to allow an industry expert to come talk about the issue, right? I can't find a single reference in our docs about banning non-members from speaking at meetings. Can anyone give any insight into this?
In another thread you indicated the Bylaws require that Robert's Rules be used for meetings of the membership. I do not know if your Bylaws also require the use of Robert's Rules for Board meetings. Robert's Rules applies to the "deliberative assembly." This deliberative assembly consists solely of the directors on the board. No one else may make motions, second motions, or vote on motions. There is no requirement for the President to recognize any person who is is not on the board and offer the person a chance to speak. See also Rule 73 at http://www.rulesonline.com/rror-13.htm

If this is about the bee hives, and you want the city official to attend, write him up a statement of what you think he would say, and see if he will agree to sign it. Then present this as evidence that your bee hives are not a nuisance under city code; that per the CC&R's express reference to City Code on the subject of nuisances, your hives therefore are not a nuisance; and therefore, you have not violated the covenants.
KerryL1
(California)

08/23/2021 5:41 PM  
Board meetings in our HOA, and I think most are for directors only, but in open meeting states, Owners may attend. No others may unless the board invites a speaker. This might be in your bylaws, Adam.
AdamL1
(Idaho)

08/23/2021 6:19 PM  
yes, Roberts Rules. If that's the case, then that makes sense. I just couldn't find anything else specifically in the CCR's about it.
AdamL1
(Idaho)

08/23/2021 6:20 PM  
Posted By JohnT38 on 08/23/2021 4:03 PM
Is this a monthly meeting where other residents will be attending? If not what kind of meeting is it?

It was an annual meeting with the 1 agenda item on it dealing with my situation. BoD refused to allow City Code official and local Apiary Master and Fish & Game to speak.
AdamL1
(Idaho)

08/23/2021 6:29 PM  
so I'm reading and agree that non-members do not have a privalege or right to speak, but it seems there's mechanism to 'invite' and 'allow' a non-member to speak.

Does Open Meetings laws apply to HOA or only to gov't?

------------------
By a majority vote, however, the body may permit/invite non-members to attend, and even to address the body during the meeting, but not during deliberations.

Allowing non-members to participate in actual debate would require a suspension of the rules, which requires a 2/3 vote.

--------------
Nonmembers, on the other hand—or a particular nonmember or group of nonmembers—can be excluded at any time from part or all of a meeting of a society, or from all of its meetings. Such exclusion can be effected by a ruling of the chair in cases of disorder, or by the adoption of a rule on the subject, or by an appropriate motion as the need arises—a motion of the latter nature being a question of privilege [page 645] (19). A motion to exclude all nonmembers (except absolutely necessary staff, if any) is often referred to as a motion to "go into executive session" (see 9). " RONR (11th ed.), pp. 644-45.

-------------------
The issue is decided by a majority vote... that is, the vote of a majority of the members present and voting. If 50 people are present and 20 vote yes, 15 vote no 15 abstain, that is a majority vote even though it is less than a majority of the members present.
KerryL1
(California)

08/23/2021 6:30 PM  
It would help us assist you, Adam, if you'd keep your language straight. As pointed out to you in the past, you generally find info about Board meetings and members meetings in the Bylaws NOT in the CC&Rs--no matter what your Boards says.
AugustinD

08/23/2021 7:25 PM  
Posted By AdamL1 on 08/23/2021 6:29 PM
so I'm reading and agree that non-members do not have a privalege or right to speak, but it seems there's mechanism to 'invite' and 'allow' a non-member to speak.

Does Open Meetings laws apply to HOA or only to gov't?
Always or almost always only to federal, state, county or city government. I think there may be a state or two that is an exception.

------------------
By a majority vote, however, the body may permit/invite non-members to attend, and even to address the body during the meeting, but not during deliberations.

Allowing non-members to participate in actual debate would require a suspension of the rules, which requires a 2/3 vote.

--------------
No where near good enough; totally lacking in authority. In fact I see a number of sites that confirm the above, or statements like the above, are not actually in Robert's Rules.

Find the actual Robert's Rule that says what you claim, and from the latest edition. They are numbered. I do not think such a Rule exists in Robert's Rules.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > BoD blocking speaking of non-members?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement