Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Closing public access trail located in private park
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
HenryS6
(Arizona)

08/23/2021 7:58 AM  
The HOA owns a private park, signed as such, for residents use only. Many years ago, trail builders illegally built a trail on county land for mountain bikers to use for mountain biking. By illegally, the trail was built by volunteers without authorization from the county.

Today, the board of directors of the association that owns the park is looking at closing the trailhead. They say that, since the trail crosses an existing basketball court, that kids aren't able to play basketball because of the trail users. They would like to put in additional features in this part of the park that would be attractive to little kids, and they directors are concerned that there might be a collision between little kids playing on the new playground equipment and mountain bike riders riding through the park.

The board has approached the county with the request to move the trailhead to another location where the county land directly fronts the street and then trail users would not need to ride through the private park for mountain biking. Because of bureaucratic policy, the county is unable to do so, and unable to permit volunteers to move the trail.

The county would prefer to leave the trail where it is, but have the association donate a trail easement to give the public the right to cross the private park in the future.

The mountain bike trail is popular among the public but not as popular among homeowners. Out of 300 homes, probably less than 10 homeowners use the trail on a regular basis.

What are your thoughts?

A picture of the park with the trail is attached. The route that the riders normally take is marked with red dots.

Attachment: 1823582817271.pdf

AugustinD

08/23/2021 8:11 AM  
Would the HOA Board consider installing a fence with gate (no lock) or similar bike-stopping obstruction?

How cute that the County flipped everything and suggested the HOA grant an easement.

I think the stakes here are high enough that I would get the HOA attorney involved. The public using this private property as if there were an easement poses liability problems in my opinion. Also, if used long enough in this fashion, is there a chance common law (court made law) declares it becomes a de facto easement? I have seen this before in some situations.
LetA
(Nevada)

08/23/2021 11:33 AM  
Simple, put on your meeting agenda to solicit bids to erect a fence that blocks access to the property and post no trespassing sings and cite the state statute for trespassing on the signs. I agree with Augie, having non owners on private property is a recipe for lawsuits if someone gets injured.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

08/23/2021 11:59 AM  
If the HOA owns the land, then this is a big liability issue for the HOA, as Augustin mentioned. You're probably under-insured.

I agree that the HOA should lawyer up, talk to their insurer, and figure out its options. I'm sure there will be push back from those who used the trail if they lose access, ever mind that they had no right to it in the first place, and the HOA should be prepared to deal with the fallout. If the HOA's board is tempted to grant an easement, the board should address the liability issue and push for concessions from the county in exchange. And would such an easement or the trail itself need to be approved by the membership since these things probably aren't mentioned in the CC&Rs?

(Personal opinion: those concessions would need to be mighty attractive because of the potential problems of opening private property to the public, including loss of use of the HOA's own property and increased costs to insure the property. The county's bureaucratic issues are not the HOA's problem to solve.)

DouglasK1
(Florida)

08/23/2021 1:23 PM  
Certainly from the county's perspective, doing nothing is easiest. Maybe if you close access, lots of people will complain and the county will feel a bit more pressure to act.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

08/23/2021 1:31 PM  
Did the original developer grant the city some type of permanent easement for outsiders to use this trail?
AugustinD

08/23/2021 1:37 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 08/23/2021 8:11 AMThe correct term is "prescriptive easement."
HenryS6
(Arizona)

08/23/2021 2:18 PM  
Posted By JohnT38 on 08/23/2021 1:31 PM
Did the original developer grant the city some type of permanent easement for outsiders to use this trail?

No, the trail didn't exist when the developers built the subdivision. It was created sometime after the development was created by mountain bikers who recreated in the area. I have checked plat maps and there are no recreational easements per the plat maps and recorded documents.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

08/23/2021 3:03 PM  
Posted By HenryS6 on 08/23/2021 2:18 PM
Posted By JohnT38 on 08/23/2021 1:31 PM

No, the trail didn't exist when the developers built the subdivision. It was created sometime after the development was created by mountain bikers who recreated in the area. I have checked plat maps and there are no recreational easements per the plat maps and recorded documents.

That's great. I would definitely suggest that you call your HOA insurance agent and have a chat about the liability issue. Good luck!
LetA
(Nevada)

08/23/2021 5:19 PM  
I see on the photo you provided the red dots on asphalt. then some red dots go on a dirt trail past the basketball hoop. is that dirt trail county or HOA property?
GregM14
(Washington)

08/23/2021 6:56 PM  
Posted By LetA on 08/23/2021 5:19 PM
I see on the photo you provided the red dots on asphalt. then some red dots go on a dirt trail past the basketball hoop. is that dirt trail county or HOA property?

HOA property.

It's really unfortuanate that the trail runs right through the basketball court. Kids can't play basketball because adult mountain bikers are always riding through the court.
AugustinD

08/23/2021 7:29 PM  
Posted By GregM14 on 08/23/2021 6:56 PM
It's really unfortuanate that the trail runs right through the basketball court. Kids can't play basketball because adult mountain bikers are always riding through the court.
I agree and then some. Plus when some adult mountain biker hits a kid and sends her flying, then the lawyers will be lining up.

If I were on this HOA's Board, I'd be pretty fierce about stopping the mountain bikers from trespassing further. As in, "I move to get the HOA attorney on the line right now."
TimB4
(Tennessee)

08/23/2021 8:34 PM  
I agree with others, build a fence and check with your attorney for proper signage and, perhaps, a press statement (if needed when others complain).

You might also need to hire some off duty police officers for a few weekends to issue trespassing warnings (and if needed citations) until those who use the trail get the message.
WilliamC21
(New Jersey)

08/24/2021 6:06 AM  
Why not build a chain link fence around the basketball court with unlocked bur self closing gates? This would keep the riders out and keep the players safe.
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

08/24/2021 7:27 AM  
Posted By WilliamC21 on 08/24/2021 6:06 AM
Why not build a chain link fence around the basketball court with unlocked bur self closing gates? This would keep the riders out and keep the players safe.

That suggestion would still allow public access to the dirt path through the HOA for access. Not to mention cause additional cost to the HOA to build a fence completely around the courts.

There WOULD be an HOA cost to fence public access across the path. Public should not be using the path on HOA property and opening up the HOA to liability. Closing public access with a fence would put an end to the issue.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Closing public access trail located in private park

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement