Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Noxious weed control & noxious county employee
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
GregM14
(Washington)

08/14/2021 12:05 PM  
We discovered we have a noxious weed outbreak on our community property on June 23rd. I contacted the county noxious weed control board for some technical resources on how to handle the infestation and what we should do. The guy I talked to said it's rather pointless for HOAs to tackle the problem because our boards are in constant flux, but I told him I would see what I could do.

On August 12, he tersely send me an e-mail saying our outbreak is out of control and needs to be taken care of right away (like in 2-3 days), and informs me that I need to start walking the property and inspecting for weeds on a regular basis. I asked about cost share programs, and also to present accurate information for the other board members, asked what the consequences of us deciding no action. I explained that we likely would not take a no action route, but knowing all alternatives would be helpful for our decision making progress.

He then became unglued at me, informs me that I have a legal duty to care, and fabricates a story where he decides I personally made conscientious decision to let the weeds grow. (His story was wrong about what happened, but as written, makes it sound like I am personally liable for the weeds.) He then sends me copies of all of the applicable state laws, including one where he details the process that I can be removed from the board and threatens that I am in violation of that statute!

Further, he starts to investigate my background on the internet, where he finds out the previous roles that I have held in the association and how I am responsible for weed management in those roles, and thus, the fact the weeds are growing does fall indeed on my shoulders.

I'm flabbergasted that a county employee is threatening to have me removed from the homeowners association board of directors because I asked what the consequences of the board taking a "no action" route. I'm further flabbergasted that he took time out of his workday to investigate my background and use county resources to figure out my history so he could make a case that I'm responsible for the weeds.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with stuff like this? I can say that I will never talk with the county agency again.
GregM14
(Washington)

08/14/2021 12:08 PM  
The state is Washington, not south carolina btw.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

08/14/2021 1:22 PM  
Greg

Initial problem is you opened communication with him. He does appear rude and very pushy. I think he overstepped his authority which many bureaucrats do. There is no way he can remove you from the BOD. Also it appears your association is responsible for removing the weeds.

The way I would handle it is go over his head especially by complaining to a politician. Bureaucrats usually run from pressure by politicians.
LetA
(Nevada)

08/14/2021 5:44 PM  
Do you have a landscaper? It is time to get on them and start weed abatement.
AugustinD

08/14/2021 7:36 PM  
Posted By GregM14 on 08/14/2021 12:05 PM
He then sends me copies of all of the applicable state laws, including one where he details the process that I can be removed from the board and threatens that I am in violation of that statute!
-- One mistake is in asserting that you alone control the Board's decisions. Legally this is not so.

-- I think the guy erred again when he claimed he could have you removed from the board. I suspect the only way to remove a director from a board is via an owners' vote to recall the director, or possibly via the HOA's attorney instructing the Board that xyz crime (or similar) that the director did demands that he/she be removed.

-- I would check the county web site to see if there is a way to email complaints about employees. This guy is being ignorant and unprofessional, all on the taxpayers' dollar. I would consider submitting a complaint describing what he said and the facts above. I would request that your complaint be submitted to this employee's supervisor.

-- If you cannot find an email address for complaints to the county, write your county commissioner and ask for her or his advice.

-- I would think the chances are high that this county employee has other complaints. Put enough of them together, and maybe he will at least be moved out of a job where he interacts with the public.

-- You're a volunteer. You do not need this abuse.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

08/15/2021 8:43 AM  
There should be sort of county agency that addresses citizen complaints about the conduct of government employees. Each department may have a specific person that does this or there may be a separate agency that handles such complaints for the entire county. Do some Googling or call your county's general number to see who you should contact and then do it.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the man's threats since you know he doesn't have the power to do this. You're a taxpayer and have the right to contact any government agency with questions or concerns. That said, I'm not so sure Why he'd go through the trouble of looking up your history with your HOA - wonder if he ran his mouth to a friend who lives in your community who then gave him the information (perhaps that person is upset with you and wants to create drama).

You'll probably never find out for certain, so for now focus on the man's lack of professionalism - once his supervisor sees this, you probably won't need to worry about this again. In fact, I suspect this wasn't the first time the man drunker out - this may turn out to be the thing that gets him sacked.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Noxious weed control & noxious county employee

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement