Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: How long do we wait?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LoriM15
(Florida)

08/14/2021 11:58 AM  
I'm on the board of a large HOA in Florida. Hurricane Irma came through here in September 2017. After the hurricane, the roof contractors used the "assignment of benefits" scheme to many of our homeowners (and to the previous board for the roofs of the clubhouses). Basically, you sign a contract to assign any money from the insurance company to the roofer and they will submit the claim and go to mediation and/or trial if necessary to get you a new roof. Your only out of pocket expenses would be your deductible. Needless to say, the roofers have to make money somewhere so the new roof claims are highly inflated, costing all of us huge increases in our insurance premiums. And the number of roof claims being fought by the insurance companies is huge. Many of these people don't have leaks - they just jumped on the bandwagon and were told they have broken tiles so they qualify.

Living in Florida with concrete tile roofs means that they get moldy and unsightly and need to be cleaned about every two years. That's the homeowner's responsibility. If their roof starts to be a problem the PM sends them a courtesy letter, then an official letter and then we follow the fining policy.

However, if someone gets a letter and calls the PM and says they have a roof claim filed, she puts them on an extension list. The problem is that we are 4 years from the storm and we have many roofs that are really unsightly, but their claim is still in process.

My question is how long do we have to wait before we put these people on notice? I understand they have a roof claim in, but does that mean they are exempt from maintenance while they wait - and that may be for several more years?

Obviously our documents don't take delays for roof claims into account. Is this something as a board we should just wait out? I can see both sides of the issue.

For our clubhouses, we are two years on from the claim being filed. Mediation just got postponed because the roofer changed attornies. The roof had some leaks in the vallies that were fixed. It does not need to be cleaned yet so we aren't violating the rules as of now. But one of our sub-associations (condo) does have a dirty roofs on several buildings.

Just wondering how others would handle this. Thanks!
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

08/14/2021 12:10 PM  
Lori

My question is how long do we have to wait before we put these people on notice? I understand they have a roof claim in, but does that mean they are exempt from maintenance while they wait - and that may be for several more years?

I say they are not exempt. They must maintain their roof until replaced.
LetA
(Nevada)

08/14/2021 5:47 PM  
Remember, You're dealing with insurance companies that sometimes work slower than a DMV employee. We had an owner has their garage boarded up for over 90 days waiting for the insurance settlement to cover the repair cost. These things take time, Any PM worth their weight in salt will know this. Be patient.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > How long do we wait?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement