Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, December 09, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Acceptable meeting locations
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LynneD2
(North Carolina)

08/12/2021 10:18 AM  
HOA is looking to have one of their annual open meetings where are property owners are invited. The location that was published could be considered a highly controversial location - at one of the major political party HQs in the county. There is no common area in community i.e. clubhouse. So these meetings need to be held in a location outside the community location. Prior to this, it was at the developer's property which is no longer available. Some requests were made to find an alternate, neutral location to provide a less hostile, non-political environment. Its our view that meetings like this should be in an apolitical environment to create an atmosphere of openness and inclusion. One of the community members went and looked for a suitable location and offered a variety of options and alternatives. Such as the local library that has meeting rooms available. The HOA president responded to these requests of change of venue with a paraphrased response of 'suck it up'. Thoughts?
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

08/12/2021 10:24 AM  
Eh. It's just a building. As long as members aren't being solicited by the building owners, I don't see this as a big deal.

If it's close by, has sufficient parking, is open at the time you need it open and the price is right (ideally free) it's a good location.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

08/12/2021 10:26 AM  
Posted By BarbaraT1 on 08/12/2021 10:24 AM
Eh. It's just a building. As long as members aren't being solicited by the building owners, I don't see this as a big deal.

If it's close by, has sufficient parking, is open at the time you need it open and the price is right (ideally free) it's a good location.

I agree.
LynneD2
(North Carolina)

08/12/2021 10:28 AM  
The other locations are free, sufficient parking and don't cause quite a stir. One community member stated "If we were jewish (we are not), and HOA wanted to have the meeting at a pork processing facility because it had a free room, that would be highly offensive and exclusionatory (sic) for us"
AugustinD

08/12/2021 10:30 AM  
On the one hand, I agree it is undesirable to hold a meeting at a building with a specific political party affiliation. On the other hand, it can be hard to find meeting locations. Chances are it is volunteers giving a few hours and more to the effort.

If I were on this board, and knowing whatever effort the community member made would require more work (payment; signing of papers for liability reasons; et cetera), I think I would vote with the President to go forward with the meeting being held at one of the major political party HQs. If community members do not like it, then not only can they suck it up, they should step up and run for the board at the coming annual election. If elected, they will understand that the petty stuff burns directors out. For the most part, I think it's incredibly, disgustingly unethical to criticize a volunteer HOA/COA board if one is not willing to do the work one's self. Any critic who responds, "oh my work will not allow serving on the board," is actually saying, "I am too cheap to give up my energy and so arguably income to volunteer on a board." This is not a "reason." It's a lame excuse to continue whining. They should either put up or shut up afaic.
AugustinD

08/12/2021 10:33 AM  
Posted By LynneD2 on 08/12/2021 10:28 AM
One community member stated "If we were jewish (we are not), and HOA wanted to have the meeting at a pork processing facility because it had a free room, that would be highly offensive and exclusionatory (sic) for us"
Well the meeting is not being held at a pork processing facility, is it?

I think the person who made this comment is driven by ego and the desire to be thought important, afaic. The board should nod sweetly and respond, "Thank you for your input. Next I see Ms. Chao with her hand up. Ms. Chao, the floor is yours."
CathyA3
(Ohio)

08/12/2021 10:33 AM  
Will the association have to pay to use the facilities? That would be the one thing that would stop me, since in the current political climate it would be viewed by some as supporting the owner of the facility. Not saying that I agree or disagree with that view, only that it will come up and I wouldn't want to deal with the resulting fallout.

Many of the churches and libraries in my area make their meeting rooms available. You still have to pay or make a "thank you" donation to the owners, but the organizations themselves are less controversial.
LynneD2
(North Carolina)

08/12/2021 10:34 AM  
See my prior response. A community member went and found multiple, available alternate locations, that are suitable, and offered their service to make all the arrangements. Now how to respond?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

08/12/2021 10:37 AM  
Posted By LynneD2 on 08/12/2021 10:34 AM
See my prior response. A community member went and found multiple, available alternate locations, that are suitable, and offered their service to make all the arrangements. Now how to respond?

If free, go for the most convenient regardless.
KerryL1
(California)

08/12/2021 10:39 AM  
Are you on the board, Lynn?
AugustinD

08/12/2021 10:44 AM  
Posted By LynneD2 on 08/12/2021 10:34 AM
"Thank you for your input and offer. The Board will consider it." If there is a motion, by email or at a board meeting, the Board votes on it. If time is short, the vote can be done by email in many states, in which case most or all states further require the vote to be unanimous in approving this action without a meeting).
LynneD2
(North Carolina)

08/12/2021 11:01 AM  
thx!
SheliaH
(Indiana)

08/12/2021 11:29 AM  
I agree with Barbara and John - it's one meeting and unless the place had some really nasty symbols hung up, such as a swastika, go ahead and meet here, unless one of the alternatives has features that are even better, such as more parking or even Wi-Fi you could use to broadcast the meeting on something like zoom for the homeowners who couldn't make it.

After this, you may talk to the managers of one of the alternative sites about meeting there regularly so you don't have to go through this again.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

08/12/2021 11:49 AM  
Posted By LynneD2 on 08/12/2021 10:28 AM
The other locations are free, sufficient parking and don't cause quite a stir. One community member stated "If we were jewish (we are not), and HOA wanted to have the meeting at a pork processing facility because it had a free room, that would be highly offensive and exclusionatory (sic) for us"

If there are other, neutral locations with the same benefits as this one, I would tell the board to relocate the meeting in the name of community harmony.

But I'd also think this was a mountain out of a molehill. Unless we are talking about actual Nazis or QAnon, political parties are just people who want to spend tax dollars on one thing or a different thing.

CarissaM

08/12/2021 12:05 PM  
If some members are clutching their pearls over it and you've already mentioned to the board that it offends some people and provided alternate options and they still say suck it up, I guess you can get a straw? You could try as a group of several folks to reach out to the board to change the venue, rather than just one. You can get a poll of the number of people who are offended by the location and provide it as additional support for your stance. But you might still have to suck it up, at least this time.

The good news is you can't catch a political stance by simply being in the building. Politics are not religion so comparing it to having it at a pork processing facility is fallacious reasoning at best. I guess some people view their politics like a religion these days. You don't have to drink the Kool-Aid even if you show up at the meeting.

Is it being held there in an effort to put some people at odds?
Was it just the first place they checked?
Did someone on the board have an "in" for a quick, hey can we have it here kind of thing?
Were they trying to reduce the attendees and thought, HA, I'll show them!

I'm genuinely curious.

You can bet our #1 choice is the free church building but it might offend an Atheist, I guess we will cross that bridge if we get there.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/12/2021 4:30 PM  
Someone is always going to complain. It's how they get their way over yours and others. It should be noted that Jesus and his disciples often spread Christianity at bars. There were no churches when Jesus was creating Christianity...

Former HOA President
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

08/12/2021 4:37 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 08/12/2021 4:30 PM
Someone is always going to complain. It's how they get their way over yours and others. It should be noted that Jesus and his disciples often spread Christianity at bars. There were no churches when Jesus was creating Christianity...

Where they drinking Bloody Mary's? (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
LetA
(Nevada)

08/13/2021 7:12 AM  
Try looking for a traditional Denny's location that has a "party room" You just might be able to get it for just beverage service cost. Libraries, Salvation Army, Churches places that have community rooms.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Acceptable meeting locations

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement