Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Surprise Charge for Limited Common Element Repair
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NpB
(Arizona)

08/11/2021 1:20 PM  
Nine months ago, I received an e-mail from my HOA indicating that in preparation for the complex wide painting project, certain limited common elements that are part of the exterior of a unit need to be repaired and that affected owners will be notified in the next few weeks if repairs are required. I never received any written notification that the limited common elements of my unit were affected. Fast forward nine months, and I receive a charge for repairs to my garage door trim. This charge is a separate line item, however it was added to the monthly HOA dues, so that charge, plus the regular monthly assessment are due on the 1st of September.

I did verify in the owner packet provided to all owners that garage door trim is 100% the responsibility of the individual owner. This homeowner packet also states "This guide outlines the general parameters that will be used to apportion responsibility. The unique facts of each situation will be taken into consideration when determining responsibility. This is a guide, not a contract." The owner packet also states "There is no provision that allows the HOA to "waive" these expenses or to "exempt" any unit owner form his/her legal obligation to the Association." I also discovered that A.R.S. 33-1255(C1) states "Any common expense or portion of a common expense benefitting fewer than all of the units shall be assessed exclusively against the units benefitted."

I acknowledge the aforementioned paragraph, but if I was never notified that my limited common element needed repair, nor given the opportunity to make the repairs myself before a certain deadline (most likely at a far less cost that what the HOA billed me for), how likely appealable and reversible is this charge? On one hand, state law is pretty clear, but then the HOA's owner packet states "This is a guide, not a contract."

What convincing points would you mention in an appeal of this charge?
AugustinD

08/11/2021 3:25 PM  
Posted By NpB on 08/11/2021 1:20 PM
What convincing points would you mention in an appeal of this charge?
Based on experience, including awareness of all the hassles involved here on both sides and maybe especially the hassle of repairing the trim myself, whether I would appeal would depend on how much the bill was.
NpB
(Arizona)

08/11/2021 3:44 PM  
The amount of the charge in my opinion is significant/high based on the repairs. It's an easy way for the contractor to make a huge profit.

I couldn't find any A.R.S. HOA statutes that requires an HOA to inform an owner first about repairs done to limited common elements by the HOA. I don't know if there any corporation statutes that prohibit an HOA from making a limited common element repair without first notifying the owner. This was not an emergency repair.

KerryL1
(California)

08/11/2021 6:14 PM  
Do they have to come through your unit to make the trim repair? If not, and though I think they have informed you in writing in advance of the work the HOA did, I don't think you should spend any energy on this.

Unlike your "Guide," your CC&Rs should states who is responsible for certain limited common areas. If like ours, your CC&Rs might even say that if an Owner does not maintain their limited common area, the assn. can do so and chanre the owners an "enforcement assessment." Say, is that phrase in your CC&Rs??
NpB
(Arizona)

08/11/2021 7:03 PM  
That phrase is not in CC&Rs. The repairs were done to the exterior limited common elements, in this case the exterior garage door trim.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

08/12/2021 5:16 AM  
Depending on how much I thought I'd been overcharged - which is subjective - I'd be inclined to let it go. I got nice, new door trim that matches everybody else's door trim without having to stir a finger - and maybe my time is worth the difference in amount.

Maybe the HOA messed up, maybe your notification is still bouncing around the USPS along with last year's holiday greeting cards, ... who knows? At least it appears that an effort was made to do this properly, and I think that's where I'd draw the line - I'd have a different reaction if I thought they were not following the CC&Rs or were careless about it.
KerryL1
(California)

08/12/2021 9:07 AM  
Excuse my typo. HOA should have informed NpB.
NpB
(Arizona)

08/12/2021 11:31 AM  
I understand. Do you think it is proper protocol or ethically right for the HOA to make non-emergency repairs to a unit without the owner's consent?
NpB
(Arizona)

08/13/2021 11:55 AM  
Arizona Revised Statutes Title 10: Corporations and Associations is silent on requiring notification of an owner before a corporation or association makes repair to an owner's limited common element, as is the Arizona Condominium Act (Title 33, Chapter 9). My conclusion is that A.R.S. 33-1255 (C1) prevails and gives the HOA the authority to bill me for repair to the garage door trim.

Essentially, I am powerless to challenge this fee and if I don't pay, there could be financial consequences. Knowing that, would it be fruitful or useless to ask the Board why I wasn't informed prior to repair and to suggest in the future they inform owners by Certified Mail?
AugustinD

08/13/2021 12:40 PM  
I did verify in the owner packet provided to all owners that garage door trim is 100% the responsibility of the individual owner.
Can you verify that the covenants say this as well? I imagine they do, but you should have the covenant section ready to cite.
Posted By NpB on 08/13/2021 11:55 AM
Arizona Revised Statutes Title 10: Corporations and Associations is silent on requiring notification of an owner before a corporation or association makes repair to an owner's limited common element, as is the Arizona Condominium Act (Title 33, Chapter 9). My conclusion is that A.R.S. 33-1255 (C1) prevails and gives the HOA the authority to bill me for repair to the garage door trim.
"Prevails" is not how I would describe the effect of ARS 33-1255 (C) (1) on this disagreement you are having. I do not consider ARS 33-125 (C) (1) relevant at this point. Why? Because this statute section refers to "Any common expense associated with... " Yada yada. You presumably have a covenant that says that maintenance of the garage door trim is the owner's responsibility. Therefore, such maintenance is an owner's expense, not a common expense.
Essentially, I am powerless to challenge this fee and if I don't pay, there could be financial consequences. Knowing that, would it be fruitful or useless to ask the Board why I wasn't informed prior to repair and to suggest in the future they inform owners by Certified Mail?
FWIW: I encourage you to write the Board; quote the covenant and the owner packet indicating that the owner has responsibility for garage door trim; include a copy of the email stating that the HOA would inform owners of needed repairs to the trim; and indicate that you relied on the email in not making repairs. Conclude with: I respectfully request that I not be assessed for this repair.

Because what the HOA did here was not cool.

I advise leaving out any editorial comments suggesting the contractor is ripping people off. This is nothing you can prove. It is not relevant. Talking like this in a letter distracts from your main point: They should have told you. They promised to tell you. The trim is yours to maintain by the contract that the covenants are. Follow the contract and your promises, H.O.A.
NpB
(Arizona)

08/13/2021 1:00 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 08/13/2021 12:40 PM
I did verify in the owner packet provided to all owners that garage door trim is 100% the responsibility of the individual owner.
Can you verify that the covenants say this as well? I imagine they do, but you should have the covenant section ready to cite.
Posted By NpB on 08/13/2021 11:55 AM
"Prevails" is not how I would describe the effect of ARS 33-1255 (C) (1) on this disagreement you are having. I do not consider ARS 33-125 (C) (1) relevant at this point. Why? Because this statute section refers to "Any common expense associated with... " Yada yada. You presumably have a covenant that says that maintenance of the garage door trim is the owner's responsibility. Therefore, such maintenance is an owner's expense, not a common expense.
FWIW: I encourage you to write the Board; quote the covenant and the owner packet indicating that the owner has responsibility for garage door trim; include a copy of the email stating that the HOA would inform owners of needed repairs to the trim; and indicate that you relied on the email in not making repairs. Conclude with: I respectfully request that I not be assessed for this repair.

Because what the HOA did here was not cool.

I advise leaving out any editorial comments suggesting the contractor is ripping people off. This is nothing you can prove. It is not relevant. Talking like this in a letter distracts from your main point: They should have told you. They promised to tell you. The trim is yours to maintain by the contract that the covenants are. Follow the contract and your promises, H.O.A.

The covenants do not state that limited common elements are 100% the responsibility of the individual owner. Only A.R.S. 33-1255 (C1) and the individual owner packet, which includes a responsibility guide for maintenance, repairs, replacement and property upgrades confirm this. The individual packet states "Since January 1, 2009, Arizona law provides that HOA must charge costs back to owners for repairs to the limited common elements." The packet also states "Since January 1, 2009, Arizona law takes precedence over HOA's governing documents." The Arizona law the packet cites is A.R.S. 33-1255 (C1).
AugustinD

08/13/2021 1:21 PM  
Posted By NpB on 08/13/2021 1:00 PM
The covenants do not state that limited common elements are 100% the responsibility of the individual owner.
Then I'd say that the communications from the HOA were sloppy, and it's not at all clear that the HOA did wrong by billing you.

As you first suggested, I think it's not going to raise hackles on the board or at the PM's office if write a polite letter with a copy of the email from some months ago, and suggest that in the future the HOA inform owners of (1) repairs the HOA thinks are the owner's responsibility, and (2) when the repairs must be completed. Then let the chips fall where they may.

Or, given what you say about the covenants, let it go.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

08/13/2021 2:27 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 08/13/2021 1:21 PM
Posted By NpB on 08/13/2021 1:00 PM
The covenants do not state that limited common elements are 100% the responsibility of the individual owner.
Then I'd say that the communications from the HOA were sloppy, and it's not at all clear that the HOA did wrong by billing you.

As you first suggested, I think it's not going to raise hackles on the board or at the PM's office if write a polite letter with a copy of the email from some months ago, and suggest that in the future the HOA inform owners of (1) repairs the HOA thinks are the owner's responsibility, and (2) when the repairs must be completed. Then let the chips fall where they may.

Or, given what you say about the covenants, let it go.

I agree.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Surprise Charge for Limited Common Element Repair

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement