Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Swimming pool fencing
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
EllenI2
(Michigan)

07/28/2021 9:06 AM  
We installed an inground pool 3 years ago. We also have an automatic cover for the pool. Before installing the cover, we went through our HOA guidelines and saw no verbiage about automatic covers and fencing requirements. We consulted our township office for their regulations and received a copy. Our township does not require fencing for pools with an automatic cover. This winter, we received notice from our HOA that we are in violation of the pool fencing requirements . I forwarded what was sent to me by the township and the HOA board responded with, “this is an example of where we differ with township
Regulations”. My argument is that there is no verbiage in our by laws regarding automatic pool covers, so I went to the next governing official. Would like to know if this can be enforced by the HOA . We would not have gotten an automatic cover had we known we would still be forced to install a fence 3 years later! Thanks for any input!
BenA2
(Texas)

07/28/2021 9:25 AM  
It's not clear what documents you are referring to. If your Covenants, conditions, and restrictions (CC&Rs) do not state that you need a fence, then normally the HOA cannot enforce it. There could be exceptions though. For example, some CC&Rs have "catch-all" phrases that it might fall under. Every state is different but most have statute of limitations. So, if they knew you had the pool and did not bring up the fence until three years later, it may not be enforceable. You should consult with an attorney.
MaxB4
(California)

07/28/2021 9:30 AM  
If you had gone through the ARC process at the beginning, this should have been disclosed to you back then.
EllenI2
(Michigan)

07/28/2021 9:34 AM  
We were actually one of the original residents of the subdivision and there was not an HOA when we built.
EllenI2
(Michigan)

07/28/2021 9:37 AM  
Yes .. there is no mention of automatic pool covers anywhere in the covenants. That is what prompted me to contact our township, after unsuccessful attempts at trying to reach an HOA board member. I have considered contacting an attorney but wanted to make sure it was worth it, so thank you for that suggestion.
MaxB4
(California)

07/28/2021 9:40 AM  
I would ask the HOA to send you the guidelines that their decision was based on. I hate HOA's that just start making stuff up as they go without any facts to support them.
AugustinD

07/28/2021 9:41 AM  
Posted By EllenI2 on 07/28/2021 9:06 AM
We installed an inground pool 3 years ago. We also have an automatic cover for the pool. Before installing the cover, we went through our HOA guidelines and saw no verbiage about automatic covers and fencing requirements. We consulted our township office for their regulations and received a copy. Our township does not require fencing for pools with an automatic cover. This winter, we received notice from our HOA that we are in violation of the pool fencing requirements . I forwarded what was sent to me by the township and the HOA board responded with, “this is an example of where we differ with township
Regulations”. My argument is that there is no verbiage in our by laws regarding automatic pool covers, so I went to the next governing official. Would like to know if this can be enforced by the HOA . We would not have gotten an automatic cover had we known we would still be forced to install a fence 3 years later! Thanks for any input!
-- First, HOA covenants may lawfully be more restrictive than municipal ordinances.

-- Second, please quote verbatim what the covenant says about pool fences.
KerryL1
(California)

07/28/2021 11:53 AM  
I agree with Augustin. What DO your docs say about fences?
MaxB4
(California)

07/28/2021 11:55 AM  
I think the OP answered right at the beginning:

"Before installing the cover, we went through our HOA guidelines and saw no verbiage about automatic covers and fencing requirements."
MichaelS56
(Minnesota)

07/28/2021 4:38 PM  
Please also check with your insurance company about what they say about a fence or pool cover being enough. Your pool is an attractive nuisance and a fence may need to be installed as part of your insurance converage.
LetA
(Nevada)

07/28/2021 5:19 PM  
Please send in writhing certified USPS to your HOA. Start a paper trial. In the letter ask them to cite specific covenants pertaining to your automatic pool cover and fencing requirements.

There is ia BIG difference between perimeter fencing, which HOA' quite regularly can regulate. Pool fencing, since it is in your backyard and not likely to be seen by passers-by at the street lever, the HOA should stay out of backyards.
DavidG45
(Delaware)

07/30/2021 6:24 AM  
Posted By MaxB4 on 07/28/2021 9:40 AM
I would ask the HOA to send you the guidelines that their decision was based on. I hate HOA's that just start making stuff up as they go without any facts to support them.

This right here.

I have tried to persuade our ARC and our Property Manager than whenever they tell a resident what can and cannot be done, they provide the exact verbiage from our Declarations that support what they are saying. We continue to have too many supposed "rules" quoted by our PM and committee members that are not supported by our documents.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Swimming pool fencing

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement