Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, July 24, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Officially burned out
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JackJ9
(Oregon)

07/21/2021 2:42 PM  
After spending a lot of my personal time working with vendor certificates of insurance to get a job done, I'm officially burned out. We've had a lot of vendor non-performance issues as of late. Our irrigation system has failed due to non-performing vendors, grass is growing brown, plants are dying, homeowners are complaining.

I joined the board to help improve things in the community, but spend the past four months doing more running the association type work rather than being able to contribute to cleaning up and making our community nicer and more liveable. It seems that my plate is full just ensuring that vendors perform and meet expectations.

I have thought for a long time, and seriously believe, that we need a property manager who can effectively run our association rather than trying to have community volunteers run it. One that will ensure that vendors are performing, and when not, be effective at getting them to perform. Not just a middle person who simply forwards e-mails back and forth between the board and vendors.

I'm tired. I've been going full throttle at making our community nicer. I'm not going to quit the board, but I can't keep going at the pace that I have been going at. Our community looks nicer since I joined the board, and things are moving forward, but I need professional help from a real property manager to support me. I can ask small things of other board members but don't want to burn them out to.

Any advice is appreciated.
ChristinaW2
(California)

07/21/2021 2:51 PM  
Is there a way to rotate these responsibilities? Or at least divide them amongst board members. We self managed until 5 years ago. There is still much work to be done by board and an added cost of management. Do you have a community bulletin board to air your concerns and list priorities?
SheliaH
(Indiana)

07/21/2021 4:00 PM  
I can't remember if I suggested to you what I'm about to suggest - if so, here we go again and this time, pay attention!

It's great you've put in a lot of time and effort as aboard mem. Too many show up once a month and decide how to spend money and go along with the crowd because that's easier. I've found one or two people end up dominating the board for that reason, and you either end up flaming out like you're about to do, or they start believing their ish don't stink and you have the beginning of a board member running wild. Neither scenario ends well for you and your neighbors.

Time for you to man up and tell your board members you're not made of stone and as much as you've enjoyed the work, it's time for them to pitch in or hire a property manager to handle the daily details. Self managed communities work best when everyone pitches in and if they can't or don't want to, the board will have to hire a property manager to do it for them.

In the meantime, your tendency to run and run like a hamster on a wheel ends right now. Tell them what you'll do and stop. They may step up and then you might be tempted to jump in, but Don't Do It! If something doesn't get done, whoever volunteered to oversee that has to deal with the consequences. Homeowners may squawk at hiding a property manager, but they need to understand board members have a life outside the association. If they insist on something being addressed, they can volunteer.

You might also consider that you micromanage entirely too much. You have to get out of the way and trust people to do what you want. That doesn't mean they must do it exactly as you would, but as long as the work is done correctly, give people the space they need.

You sound like you're a great board member, and I'd hate to see you flame out like I did. I served for 10 years and near the the end I was tired and more than a little annoyed at my colleagues. That's when I realized that they may have sat around because they knew I'd jump in. I had to step down so they could see what they could do. I also came to understand that I did all i could do and maybe the next steps would have to be taken by people with fresh energy and ideas.

I don't know if that's you, but I think you need to step away and clear your head. Good luck in what you decide to do.
TimB4
(Virginia)

07/21/2021 4:02 PM  
Form a common area committee.
You can chair and have help from the committee.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/21/2021 4:44 PM  
Jack

After reading several of your posts, you are taking on to much. Either it is you personality and/or you do not trust others.
Time for you to delegate responsibilities.
KerryL1
(California)

07/21/2021 4:57 PM  
Perhaps you missed it, Jack, but I've suggested your HOA hair a PM at more than, what?, 4 hours a week? 6 parks and 250 or more homes is too much for a board--especially one that only meets quarterly.

You're said you have no place for an office for such a PM, so you need to get one who'll drive over to your HOA at least weekly and inspect the parks and other common areas. Along with the tiny handful of tasks your PM does now you'll add the parks & dealing with their vendors. It sounds like you'll need a new PM.

Will your Board vote to seek a new management company to provide the services your HOA so clearly needs?

Or, as Tim suggests, call for members of your HOA to form a committee that focuses on the parks. Give them the authority to write a report for the Board to review and to write action items for the PM to handle. The Board will need to make their charter every clear and very tight so you don't have rogue members.

You clearly do a lot of work--probably way too much so you're a fine asset to your community. But perhaps there is a tendency to micromanage and to focus on every little detail (missing [empty] poop bags; gratitude bouquet of flowers for some owners). If you're hyper-observant--you "see everything" -- it's hard to focus on the big matters and ignore the smaller ones.
KerryL1
(California)

07/21/2021 4:58 PM  
Perhaps you missed it, Jack, but I've suggested your HOA hair a PM at more than, what?, 4 hours a week? 6 parks and 250 or more homes is too much for a board--especially one that only meets quarterly.

You're said you have no place for an office for such a PM, so you need to get one who'll drive over to your HOA at least weekly and inspect the parks and other common areas. Along with the tiny handful of tasks your PM does now you'll add the parks & dealing with their vendors. It sounds like you'll need a new PM.

Will your Board vote to seek a new management company to provide the services your HOA so clearly needs?

Or, as Tim suggests, call for members of your HOA to form a committee that focuses on the parks. Give them the authority to write a report for the Board to review and to write action items for the PM to handle. The Board will need to make their charter every clear and very tight so you don't have rogue members.

You clearly do a lot of work--probably way too much so you're a fine asset to your community. But perhaps there is a tendency to micromanage and to focus on every little detail (missing [empty] poop bags; gratitude bouquet of flowers for some owners). If you're hyper-observant--you "see everything" -- it's hard to focus on the big matters and ignore the smaller ones.
AugustinD

07/21/2021 5:35 PM  
Send an email to the other directors and state, "unless a property manager is hired by September 1, I will resign from the board." The assessment will have to go up to pay for the property manager. Too bad. You have given enough of your valuable time to this. Consider having a meeting of the board properly noticed to the membership where this is first on the agenda.

Meetings of Oregon HOA Boards are required to be open to members as indicated below. I am pretty sure this was pointed out in the past to JackJ9.

ORS 94.640(8)(a)
"All meetings of the board of directors of the association shall be open to owners, except that at the discretion of the board, the board may close the meeting to owners other than board members and meet in executive session to:

(A) Consult with legal counsel.

(B) Consider the following:

(i) Personnel matters, including salary negotiations and employee discipline;

(ii) Negotiation of contracts with third parties; or

(iii) Collection of unpaid assessments.

(b) Except in the case of an emergency, the board of directors of an association shall vote in an open meeting whether to meet in executive session. If the board of directors votes to meet in executive session, the presiding officer of the board of directors shall state the general nature of the action to be considered and, as precisely as possible, when and under what circumstances the deliberations can be disclosed to owners. The statement, motion or decision to meet in executive session must be included in the minutes of the meeting."
MaxB4
(Maine)

07/21/2021 8:21 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 07/21/2021 5:35 PM
Send an email to the other directors and state, "unless a property manager is hired by September 1, I will resign from the board." The assessment will have to go up to pay for the property manager. Too bad. You have given enough of your valuable time to this. Consider having a meeting of the board properly noticed to the membership where this is first on the agenda.

Meetings of Oregon HOA Boards are required to be open to members as indicated below. I am pretty sure this was pointed out in the past to JackJ9.

ORS 94.640(8)(a)
"All meetings of the board of directors of the association shall be open to owners, except that at the discretion of the board, the board may close the meeting to owners other than board members and meet in executive session to:

(A) Consult with legal counsel.

(B) Consider the following:

(i) Personnel matters, including salary negotiations and employee discipline;

(ii) Negotiation of contracts with third parties; or

(iii) Collection of unpaid assessments.

(b) Except in the case of an emergency, the board of directors of an association shall vote in an open meeting whether to meet in executive session. If the board of directors votes to meet in executive session, the presiding officer of the board of directors shall state the general nature of the action to be considered and, as precisely as possible, when and under what circumstances the deliberations can be disclosed to owners. The statement, motion or decision to meet in executive session must be included in the minutes of the meeting."

They have a property manager who Jack can't seem to be able to delegate anything to.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/22/2021 4:17 AM  
If you take this as a "job" and start hating it, then your done. If you own it, then it is shown it. Overall think most posters here and most likely your own membership is telling you to back off. Stop taking on too much. Not everything is your job. Again if you cant walk away and let someone else do something, then that is all on you. It is not on them.

I'd recommend taking a week or two off. Just walk away from doing HOA activities that aren't required. Like still keep signing the checks to pay the bills. However, don't make a decision or make a vote. Let the others do it.

Former HOA President
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Officially burned out

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement