Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, July 24, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Is this discrimination against landlords
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RickR12
(California)

07/17/2021 7:45 AM  
I own a rental property in a townhome community that has 25% rentals. I recently listed my home For Lease as the tenant was vacating and my realtor put his sign in the yard. I received a notice the very next day from the HOA asking me to remove the For Lease sign.

Article 2 - Use And Construction Provisions, Section 2.2 Prohibited Uses and Activities, Article (m) Sign Restrictions states “…No sign of any kind may be kept or placed upon any Lot or mounted, painted or attached to any Residence, fence or other improvement upon such Lot advertising the Residence for lease or rent.”
Please remove the For Lease sign in your yard. Continued violation of this rule will result in the HOA assessing one fine per day (which shall not exceed $500.00 for each individual fine.).

The restriction is only against landlords from posting "For Lease" signs. However, "For Sale" signs are allowed to be placed in the front yard.

I find this discrimation against the landlords as the previous HOA President have been unhappy about the growing number of rentals in the community and took several steps to force landlords to prevent it. THe board was fired when landlords joined together.

Is this considered discrimination as it appears that this may have been added to the bylaws by the previous President.

CathyA3
(Ohio)

07/17/2021 8:04 AM  
What do your CC&Rs say about signage?

If they only allow For Sale signs, then that's your answer. (My CC&Rs allow only one For Sale sign in the mulch bed adjacent to the unit, and state point blank that no other signage is allowed.)

Of course you can choose to fight it if you have the time and money. You may not get anywhere though. (And any additional expenses you incur will cut into the profit you make on renting your unit, so there is that).
AugustinD

07/17/2021 8:15 AM  
This is possibly "selective enforcement," but it is not "discrimination" in the sense meant in HOA/COA legal language.

In my opinion you should use California's IDR (Internal Dispute Resolution) procedures to try to get the HOA/COA to cooperate. See https://www.davis-stirling.com/HOME/Internal-Dispute-Resolution

Of course, your taking action on this could result in neither sellers nor landlords being allowed to put up signs.

Please be exact when you are citing your HOA/COA's governing documents. For example, is this Article 2 you quoted from the Bylaws or from the Declaration of covenants or maybe from the Rules and Regulations? The difference is important.

The topic is complicated enough that you would likely best be served by hiring an attorney.
MaxB4
(Maine)

07/17/2021 8:53 AM  
That is a section from your CCRs and it will stand. You can contact an attorney in California and they will tell you you have no leg to stand on and the CCRs restriction is enforeceable.
KerryL1
(California)

07/17/2021 9:44 AM  
Please cite the language about "For Sale" signs, Rick, and tell us what document it's in. Are you sure the article 2 you quote is in the Bylaws?? That's not typical as normally it'd be in your CC&Rs or rules & regs.

If you landlords are only 25% of the HOA, how did you recall the previous board ? (Sorry, off topic)
BenA2
(Texas)

07/17/2021 11:48 AM  
Yes, it discriminates but there is nothing wrong with that. You could say that any restriction on rentals discriminates against landlords, yet they are very common. As long as they are not illegally discriminating against a protected class, I do not see a problem.

As you mentioned, if enough members are landlords they can affect a change.
LetA
(Nevada)

07/17/2021 1:28 PM  
Not at all discriminatory. The very first word in your Article 2 covenant says NO!!! Owners that live in their houses have rights too. They don't want their community overrun with rentals. Too many rentals in any given common interest community gives homebuyers and owners looking to refinance fewer options, and limits FHA and especially VA backed mortgages.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

07/17/2021 3:13 PM  
I'm with LetA and my townhouse community has similar language in its documents. These days people can use other methods to advertise, so I'm not very sympathetic to landlords (who are a primary reason my community has had its issues with rentals over the years).
RickR12
(California)

07/20/2021 6:30 PM  
THis is in the CC&R. I have attached a screenshot of this section.
RickR12
(California)

07/20/2021 6:36 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 07/17/2021 9:44 AM
Please cite the language about "For Sale" signs, Rick, and tell us what document it's in. Are you sure the article 2 you quote is in the Bylaws?? That's not typical as normally it'd be in your CC&Rs or rules & regs.

If you landlords are only 25% of the HOA, how did you recall the previous board ? (Sorry, off topic)

The ex-President took the extreme step of stopping all lease temporarily until the HOA could determine how many units are actually leased. They only know they exceeded the cap but did not know the exact number of rentals. There is very little interest from the owners when it comes to HOA meetings. It was easy for the landlords to join together and recall the Board.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/21/2021 4:19 AM  
Considering that renters are NOT contributors to the HOA nor members, I can see why HOA's frown upon advertising for getting more "visitors" they can't do anything about....

Former HOA President
KerryL1
(California)

07/21/2021 9:04 AM  
Can’t see your screenshot, Rick
KerryL1
(California)

07/21/2021 9:04 AM  
Can’t see your screenshot, Rick
CathyA3
(Ohio)

07/21/2021 11:15 AM  
Seriously, if the landlords have taken control of the association, the handwriting is on the wall. Lenders refuse to lend in communities with too many rentals, and many buyers don't want to live in such communities anyway. What you'll likely end up with is a rental community owned by a bunch of hands off owners whose only interest is getting as much money out of the place as possible - unlike an apartment complex with a single owner who has at least some incentive to keep the place from falling apart. I'd tell any owner in the community to get out while they can.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/21/2021 2:17 PM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 07/21/2021 11:15 AM
Seriously, if the landlords have taken control of the association, the handwriting is on the wall. Lenders refuse to lend in communities with too many rentals, and many buyers don't want to live in such communities anyway. What you'll likely end up with is a rental community owned by a bunch of hands off owners whose only interest is getting as much money out of the place as possible - unlike an apartment complex with a single owner who has at least some incentive to keep the place from falling apart. I'd tell any owner in the community to get out while they can.

Sound advice.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Is this discrimination against landlords

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement