Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, July 24, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Removing Valet
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NattyM
(Florida)

07/16/2021 5:39 PM  
Our condo in Florida (Miami) currently has valet and some of the residents would like to remove this amenity. If this passes does the condo have to provide handicap and guest parking.
KerryL1
(California)

07/16/2021 6:20 PM  
I'm guessing probably. You need to check with your local municipality on this. Are you on the Board? Would this require a vote by the Owners? Or is it the Board's decision?
NattyM
(Florida)

07/17/2021 8:19 AM  
No I am not on the board. Some of the owners want the valet to be remove and use that money for reserves. We need 75% of the residents to vote yes, but before we can do that the president needs to put it on the agenda. We have 138 units and the president need 70 units to sign the petition before he puts it on the agenda.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/17/2021 8:31 AM  
I don't undertand the correllation of getting rid of a Valet and then having to add handicap/guest parking. Do not see the connection. They are apples and oranges to each other. Valet is a convenience item. Handicap is an ADA requirement IF a HOA is required to be ADA complaint. (Many are not necessarily). Guest parking is also either a convenience or a good thing to have in general.

Former HOA President
KerryL1
(California)

07/17/2021 9:13 AM  
Some high rise condos require that valets park residents' cars in (usually) their own deeded parking spaces. No one (or visitors) may park their own car in these underground garages.

If residents park their own cars because valets are done away with, some handicapped owners will find themselves very far away from elevators, I assume, instead of exiting their car at the main entrance to their building very close to an elevator.

We don't have this system so I don't know the details, but some high rises near us do have it. As anyone can imagine, it's hugely expensive.

Natty, your Bylaws will say what percent of Owners need to sign a petition to place a topic on a meeting of the members (owners). Usually this % is quite small--say 10% or 20% of units must sign the petition. If you & others who want to dump this amenity are able, read your Bylaws to see how the works.

If you can't find this in your Bylaws check FL condo statutes for how to hold & conduct and members meetings

It sounds like the prez is talking about getting on the agenda of a board, not members meeting.

If the folks who want this removed aren't very knowledgeable about your governing documents and FL statues, you call could chip in and pay an HOA attorney to answer your group's questions about handicapped parking and about petitions for remember meetings.
KerryL1
(California)

07/17/2021 9:14 AM  
Some high rise condos require that valets park residents' cars in (usually) their own deeded parking spaces. No one (or visitors) may park their own car in these underground garages.

If residents park their own cars because valets are done away with, some handicapped owners will find themselves very far away from elevators, I assume, instead of exiting their car at the main entrance to their building very close to an elevator.

We don't have this system so I don't know the details, but some high rises near us do have it. As anyone can imagine, it's hugely expensive.

Natty, your Bylaws will say what percent of Owners need to sign a petition to place a topic on a meeting of the members (owners). Usually this % is quite small--say 10% or 20% of units must sign the petition. If you & others who want to dump this amenity are able, read your Bylaws to see how the works.

If you can't find this in your Bylaws check FL condo statutes for how to hold & conduct and members meetings

It sounds like the prez is talking about getting on the agenda of a board, not members meeting.

If the folks who want this removed aren't very knowledgeable about your governing documents and FL statues, you call could chip in and pay an HOA attorney to answer your group's questions about handicapped parking and about petitions for remember meetings.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

07/17/2021 9:19 AM  
Agree that valet parking has nothing to do with ADA compliance or guest parking. Your community has to provide reasonable accommodations to those with disabilities (this is a Fair Housing issue). And I assume you'll need to have some provisions for guest parking or you may end up with guests grabbing homeowners' spots.

Cutting unnecessary expenses is always a good idea, but this sounds a bit like a knee-jerk reaction to the Surfside condo collapse. The board should be taking a hard look at all of your expenses, seeing which ones don't give you value for the money you're spending, and maybe directing those funds to other areas.

But if you've been under-funding your reserves for years (and probably deferring essential maintenance), things like cutting out the valet probably won't be enough. It's like someone who finds himself in serious credit card debt and who decides to do things like pack his lunch or sell some belongings. It's a start but it won't fix the real issue, which is that he's been living beyond his means for years. Neglecting essential maintenance in condos *is* living beyond your means because you're burning through the useful life of your property faster and delayed expenditures are nearly always more costly expenditures.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/17/2021 9:27 AM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 07/17/2021 9:19 AM
Agree that valet parking has nothing to do with ADA compliance or guest parking. Your community has to provide reasonable accommodations to those with disabilities (this is a Fair Housing issue). And I assume you'll need to have some provisions for guest parking or you may end up with guests grabbing homeowners' spots.

Cutting unnecessary expenses is always a good idea, but this sounds a bit like a knee-jerk reaction to the Surfside condo collapse. The board should be taking a hard look at all of your expenses, seeing which ones don't give you value for the money you're spending, and maybe directing those funds to other areas.

But if you've been under-funding your reserves for years (and probably deferring essential maintenance), things like cutting out the valet probably won't be enough. It's like someone who finds himself in serious credit card debt and who decides to do things like pack his lunch or sell some belongings. It's a start but it won't fix the real issue, which is that he's been living beyond his means for years. Neglecting essential maintenance in condos *is* living beyond your means because you're burning through the useful life of your property faster and delayed expenditures are nearly always more costly expenditures.

Well said. Sound advice.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/17/2021 10:15 AM  
Natty

How was valet parking originally established?
KerryL1
(California)

07/17/2021 10:31 AM  
I'm thinking valets could be very expensive given you need at least three valets over 24/7 shifts and perhaps more during certain peak times (if they exist). How much do they const your HOA, Natty? Your should see this expense in your condo's financial reports. BUT valets may be lumped together with security officers.

In the two valet bldgs. I know about, residents may not drive their cars out of the garage or into it. The complaint about valet parking is sometimes having to wait a while for one's car. Both were esp stablished by the developer.

Guest parking usually is behind the gates to the garage. And, often, there's no access to residential parking from guest parking except though a gate controlled by security. Guests aren't let in unless the security officer has the required info about them the resident has made arrangements to park in their own extra space or in guest parking. Lotsa variation though so we don't know how it works at Nattie's condo bldg.
NattyM
(Florida)

07/17/2021 2:07 PM  
Hi John,
I believe the valet was written in the by laws when the building was build in 1968?
NattyM
(Florida)

07/17/2021 2:07 PM  
Hi John,
I believe the valet was written in the by laws when the building was build in 1968?
NattyM
(Florida)

07/17/2021 2:18 PM  
Hi Kerry,

The valet is optional for residents and this building has no handicap or guest parking. The valet operates from M-F 7:30-11pm and Sat and Sun 9-11pm. The guest pays $2.00 per day and overnight $5.00. The monies collected the valet keeps it. The building has a contract with the valet company which costs around $96,000. per year. Just a handful of the residents use the valet and I think its a waste of money when we could it for repairs to the building and the pool. We are definitely living above our means. We have no reserves and now each unit owners has to pay approximately $10,000.00 for building repairs.
NattyM
(Florida)

07/17/2021 2:25 PM  
My question is if we get the votes to remove the valet does the condo have to provide handicap and guest parking?
KerryL1
(California)

07/17/2021 2:44 PM  
Thanks for clarification, Natty. Wow, with limited service, valets are even more costly than I thought! Given it isn't used much, it looks like axing it will be a fine way to save money.

Given you have no guest parking, what are guests paying $2.00 for? Wait, are you saying that valets park guests' cars someplace off the premise? Is this arrangement for guests in your governing documents? Doesn't sound like anything about parking would be in your Bylaws, but, rather, in your covenants (CC&Rs; declaration)?

My first response about handicapped parking was you "probably" are required to provide disabled parking for Owners who need it. Are there disabled parking spaces for owners? Are the parking spaces deeded to owners? If there is no visitor parking on your premises, I do not think your assn. needs to carve out a space or two. You must check with local authorities about this topic. Or, your Board can easily check with the HOA attorney.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement