Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, September 26, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Patio expansion debacle
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SarahL1
(Rhode Island)

07/11/2021 7:20 AM  
Our condo board approved the plans for our patio expansion, but after the construction began they changed their mind and told us to stop the project. The board is claiming that we can’t use some of the land that they approved for the expansion bc it is common area. However, there have been at least 6 other patios that were expanded in the past few years, and all of them used common area since our bi-laws include all the property outside of the units as common area. My husband and I have thousands of dollars into this project, and they condo board’s attempt to stop our patio expansion is costing us a significant amount of money. Does the fact that other units built on common area set a precedent that should allow us to go ahead of our plans? Does the condo board have the right to change their mind halfway through the construction?
AugustinD

07/11/2021 7:36 AM  
Posted By SarahL1 on 07/11/2021 7:20 AM
Does the fact that other units built on common area set a precedent that should allow us to go ahead of our plans?
Encroaching on common area is a big deal, for liability reasons. Competent HOA/COA attorneys go nuts when they hear a Board/ACC "approved" the taking of common area by a unit owner.

Also the plats on file with the county likely have to be amended when common area is "converted" to either "limited common element" or "given" outright to an owner.

Amendment of the plats (and so covenants) requires a vote of the membership.
Does the condo board have the right to change their mind halfway through the construction?
It's entirely possible the board realized it made a mistake, and the COA's attorney said to withdraw the approval.

Your options are to lawyer up and see where this goes. Or not lawyer up and see what the COA does. Remember, the COA likely has more resources than you to pay the COA attorney to fight you.

If you proceed, you may end up having far more expenses and inconvenience than planned, including having to tear out what you put in.

If I were on this board, I would be annoyed with past boards. But I also would ask the board to see what the COA attorney says.

I personally have zero patience with owners wanting to take any common area. None. Doing so is a big deal legally. Many owners do not realize this. My post is meant to be an introduction to legal realities here.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

07/11/2021 8:57 AM  
I think AugustinD gave a great answer and this is in fact what our lawyer told us. However, since the Board approved it I would be fighting to get reimbursed for any costs associated with getting back in compliance.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

07/11/2021 12:26 PM  
I agree with the previous answers.

In addition to liability issues, another reason that encroaching onto common areas in condo associations is a Big Problem is that assessments are typically based on percentage of ownership. This encroachment can change the percentages and boils down to an illegal re-writing of the covenants, conditions and restrictions (CC&Rs) that are attached to the deed to your home. CC&Rs can only be amended by approval of a majority of homeowners, and usually a super-majority of 67% or 75%. Legally that's a big, hairy deal even though an enlarged patio seems to be such a minor issue.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Patio expansion debacle

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement