Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, September 26, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Pool gate design advice needed
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BradP4
(Alabama)

07/10/2021 8:27 PM  
We are a small HoA with a community pool.

Currently, we have a 5 foot gate with a keyed lock. It locks on both sides, meaning residents must key in and key out.

Every year, we have to repair our gate as it sustains damage throughout each pool season from climbers.

I do not like requiring key out because it is a major inconvenience for residents, and I feel like it is also a safety issue.

My board doesn't want to move on the key out issue because they feel there is no way to prevent trespassers from reaching around/through the gate and opening it from the inside.

I want to present options to this board, showing them how to produce a sturdier gate that won't be broken/damaged by the occasional climber, along with a lock placement or gate design that will not allow reach-arounds.

I didn't realize how difficult this would be to come up with. I've been searching Google for the entire afternoon and haven't come up with anything.

Can members of this forum give me some examples of what you're doing, specifically with:
- strong gates & frames
- climb-proofing
- reach through/reach around prevention

Unless there's a compelling solution, I'm not interested in lock technologies. We will use a key in/free exit latch.

Thanks!
SheliaH
(Indiana)

07/10/2021 8:52 PM  
You may be better off talking to a fencing company about this. I don't know if any gate can be made to be "climb proof" - people can be very creative when they want to be. If you have a tall fence around the pool, that could help, but I've seen people bend back bars to get into areas they're not supposed to be in.

As for the lock, you could consider some sort of keycode system, but those can be expensive. If this is an ongoing problem, you may also need s surveillance camera - sometimes simply having them can discourage people from coming in.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/10/2021 10:30 PM  
We had a combo lock on our gate. They are not that cheap but worth it. If you did not have the combo did not get in. The one we have no longer exists but may talk to a locksmith on what they recommend.

As to height you may consider putting something there to distract climbers. An extension of lattice may look attractive but also add some additional climbing prevention.

Former HOA President
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

07/11/2021 4:58 AM  
Our county Health Department requires that gates not be reach through. Our pool company installed metal sheeting on both sides of the gate to prevent this.

We had been hearing about climb overs and had some vandalism in the bathroom. We opted to put spike strips on the top of the chain link. Looks very menacing from the ground. We chose that instead of putting up barbed wire. After installation, the Board found out that they were simply stepping on the doorknob and reaching over to unlock the gate. Even when the pool was occupied. Some residents chased them, but they always come back. We don't know where the climbers live, but they are not from our community. Some have called the police, but I'm sure they have more pressing things to deal with. Back to the drawing board on securing the gate.

Our biggest problem is residents not closing the gate securely behind them or just letting anyone in. We have coded security keys that can not be duplicated. We charge $35.00 for "lost" keys to cut down on resident's just wanting an extra key.

Trying to find a gate alarm that has a delay and sounds until the gate is closed. They all need you to press a button, which would involve yet another pool sign. Not much good in a community pool when people don't read anything.

Thank goodness we are a seasonal pool. Couldn't think of chasing these issues year round.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
LetA
(Nevada)

07/11/2021 6:26 AM  
Our fencing is currently 6' high and climbers still get over. There are a plethora of gate toppers and designs that will deter climbers. We are currently contemplating raising our fence heights to 9' and installing electronic fob access. Currently our system is special security key and it is locked from both sides, there is also a metal mesh to prevent reach arounds.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

07/11/2021 12:28 PM  
Posted By PatJ1 on 07/11/2021 4:58 AM
Our county Health Department requires that gates not be reach through. Our pool company installed metal sheeting on both sides of the gate to prevent this.

We had been hearing about climb overs and had some vandalism in the bathroom. We opted to put spike strips on the top of the chain link. Looks very menacing from the ground. We chose that instead of putting up barbed wire. After installation, the Board found out that they were simply stepping on the doorknob and reaching over to unlock the gate. Even when the pool was occupied. Some residents chased them, but they always come back. We don't know where the climbers live, but they are not from our community. Some have called the police, but I'm sure they have more pressing things to deal with. Back to the drawing board on securing the gate.

Our biggest problem is residents not closing the gate securely behind them or just letting anyone in. We have coded security keys that can not be duplicated. We charge $35.00 for "lost" keys to cut down on resident's just wanting an extra key.

Trying to find a gate alarm that has a delay and sounds until the gate is closed. They all need you to press a button, which would involve yet another pool sign. Not much good in a community pool when people don't read anything.

Thank goodness we are a seasonal pool. Couldn't think of chasing these issues year round.

Yup! That's why every time I see a post about pool problems I try not to have a flashback to all the BS we went through with ours before we got rid of it. Thankfully, the majority of homeowners agreed - I think they were just as tired of hearing the expense, vandalism and all the the rest of you are dealing.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Pool gate design advice needed

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement