Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Satellite Dish questions
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DavidG45
(Delaware)

07/07/2021 9:32 AM  
Our Declarations require that satellite dishes not be visible from the street, and not be mounted on the ground. We have owners who want to install a satellite dish but have been told mounting them on the roof will void the roof's warranty. That leaves them with no viable option.

I'm curious to hear how other communities handle satellite dishes.
GregM14
(Washington)

07/07/2021 10:04 AM  
Satellite dishes, by federal law, can be installed pretty much wherever a homeowner wants. I can write a longer explanation, but that's the basic principle of it.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

07/07/2021 10:13 AM  
The FCC protects an owners right to install "over the air reception devices", which includes satellite dishes.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/installing-consumer-owned-antennas-and-satellite-dishes

SheliaH
(Indiana)

07/07/2021 10:21 AM  
We also have a rule stating the dish can't be installed on the roof, but there are some areas where this can be done. Our newsletter ran an article with photos showing acceptable spots where the dish could be placed. I live in a townhouse community and roofs are part of the community area, which is why they can't go on the roof.

Satellite dishes have been around for a while - are you sure the installer didn't look around for an area that would fit? I would think there are other homes with dishes - what did they do? Maybe these folks are more insistent on the dish being on the roof, although there are other options besides the pole. In which case, they either reconsider those spots or roll the dice on the warranty.

Are you a townhouse community or a single detached home community? Are roofs the owner's responsibility or the association.? If its the association, you can still prohibit installation on the roof because that would be common area, but I don't think you can enact rules that would result in the homeowner jumping through extra hoops or paying more for installation, (according to the FCC rules)t

It may be time for homeowners to consider amending the documents to allow poles and still dictate height and location. Meanwhile, if the documents allow the board to grant exception , consider that
LetA
(Nevada)

07/07/2021 11:02 AM  
We have an abundance of homes with tile roofs, Both satellite companies use eave mount and under mounts and they really do withstand some high winds.

As Others have mentioned, satellite dished are federally protected just like rooftop PV "solar panels" If worse comes down to worse for the person wanting installation, I would suggest a 6' pole buried 3' deep to mount the dish to. Seen a lot of those type installs in the rural settings.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

07/07/2021 12:51 PM  
Most of these replies just reiterate that you have to allow for dishes to be installed but it doesn't answer the question can the roof warranty be voided by the contractor or the shingle manufacturer. Does federal law stop them from voiding the warranty? This really doesn't sound like an HOA issue.
DavidG45
(Delaware)

07/07/2021 12:55 PM  
Thanks. Those seem like good alternatives. We have two that currently mounted on the pole as you mentioned. They are on the side of their homes near the front, and both owners also planted some shrubs in front of them. I'm going to assume the dish companies selected the location based on receptions.

I'm leaning towards asking anyone who mounts them within eyesight of the street to provide a letter from the dish company that tells them any other location will not provide adequate receptions.
EricN3
(California)

07/07/2021 4:47 PM  
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=Awr9DWsPPOZgwXcAnCyJzbkF;_ylu=c2VjA3NlYXJjaARzbGsDYnV0dG9u;_ylc=X1MDOTYwNjI4NTcEX3IDMgRhY3RuA2NsawRjc3JjcHZpZAN5OVBtY3pFd0xqTGw5NjRKWUxmYkJRWjVNVGN5TGdBQUFBQVoucDJTBGZyA21jYWZlZQRmcjIDc2EtZ3AEZ3ByaWQDcTI1TC43WE1UQ0tTX1pUMmtmQzFOQQRuX3N1Z2cDMQRvcmlnaW4DaW1hZ2VzLnNlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMEcXN0cmwDNjcEcXVlcnkDbm9uJTIwcGVuaXRyYWl0aW5nJTIwc2F0JTIwZGlzaCUyMHJvb2YlMjBtb3VudCUyMGRpcmVjdHYlMjBzbGltbGluZQR0X3N0bXADMTYyNTcwMTQxOA--?p=non+penitraiting+sat+dish+roof+mount+directv+slimline&fr=mcafee&fr2=sb-top-images.search&ei=UTF-8&x=wrt&type=E210US714G0
have you tried a non penitraiting roof mount optin at your expense ofcourse for the mount id'e call solid signal... why in the world anyone would want directv with ATT running is beyond me. the CSR'S are ver sub par as well as some of the installers in my area are usless as tits on a bore as far as wanting to do there job!!! had 10 accounts with em within 2 months and wound up telling em to shove there service
MichaelS56
(Minnesota)

07/08/2021 5:42 AM  
In our Association the owners are responsible for their own roofs.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

07/08/2021 5:59 AM  
If this is a condo, then the board can prohibit roof installations and make other *reasonable* rules about size, placement, and screening since by definition any installation will be on common elements. But there should be a policy in place so that decisions are made consistently.

Our attorney said that, in a nutshell, we must allow satellite dishes, can't make it unnecessarily difficult for the owner to obtain a signal, but are not required to allow installation in any particular place.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

07/08/2021 6:10 AM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 07/08/2021 5:59 AM
If this is a condo, then the board can prohibit roof installations and make other *reasonable* rules about size, placement, and screening since by definition any installation will be on common elements. But there should be a policy in place so that decisions are made consistently.

Our attorney said that, in a nutshell, we must allow satellite dishes, can't make it unnecessarily difficult for the owner to obtain a signal, but are not required to allow installation in any particular place.

This isn't necessarily a warranty issue with the roof, but since the roofs are common elements in a condo and the association is responsible for repairing and maintaining them, it can say no to anything affecting the roof. Our satellite dish policy also states that any homeowner who installs a satellite dish on the roof will be required to remove it and repair the roof at their own expense - if they fail to act within a certain time frame, the association will remove the dish and bill the homeowner for the costs. (And we did exactly that with a couple of homeowners.)

Of course, if you're talking about an HOA with unattached homes that are owned in their entirety by individual homeowners, I don't know why the association would care about roof warranties. The only other I can see would be aesthetics, and I'm not sure that's enough of a reason to prohibit roof installations. Generally federal laws supersede any HOA CC&Rs, and satellite dishes are covered by federal law.

MikeB23
(Louisiana)

07/28/2021 5:43 PM  
HOA can't refuse installation, but in our case our condos are in a Historic District and they don't don't allow antennas. So far they have been successful in enforcing their wishes but don't think anyone has legally challenged them.
KerryL1
(California)

07/28/2021 8:10 PM  
Jut a guess, but I'm thinking that federal law takes precedence over a local historical society.
MaxB4
(California)

07/28/2021 8:37 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 07/28/2021 8:10 PM
Jut a guess, but I'm thinking that federal law takes precedence over a local historical society.

Now we're guessing?
CathyA3
(Ohio)

07/29/2021 4:47 AM  
Posted By MikeB23 on 07/28/2021 5:43 PM
HOA can't refuse installation, but in our case our condos are in a Historic District and they don't don't allow antennas. So far they have been successful in enforcing their wishes but don't think anyone has legally challenged them.

Using the guidelines our attorney gave us, the no-antennas rule may be considered "reasonable" in a historic district but would probably not be in other communities. A community is always allowed to make reasonable rules about dish installations - they just can't make things unreasonably difficult or force owners to jump through unnecessary hoops.

I did some checking and found an article talking about historic towns in Pennsylvania, including Gettysburg. A quote from that article:

"Naugle contacted a representative at the Federal Communications Commission, the entity that regulates satellite dishes in the United States. The commission does not allow municipalities to restrict the use of television dishes except for safety reason or in historic districts, Naugle said.

She indicated that the representative was surprised to learn Gettysburg had not get put any regulations in place for the historic district, Naugle said."

Full article here: https://www.eveningsun.com/story/news/2016/08/10/should-gettysburg-hide-its-satellite-dishes/87539352/

This supports my comment that restrictions that are "reasonable" in historic districts probably won't be in other communities.

LetA
(Nevada)

07/30/2021 6:42 AM  

Nope it does not. i'm originally from Ohio, there are some cities and suburbs that are sticklers when it comes to antennas, towers and satellite dishes. That's just the not historic designation districts.
From my days working at a retailer that sold satellite dishes before and after PRb-1 & PRB-2 were passed by congress a few suburbs in my area required satellite dishes not be visible from the street and had to be installed at the rear of the home on the ground. This was just the non historic districts.
KerryL1
(California)

07/30/2021 10:54 AM  
Whew! Glad I wrote "my guess."
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/30/2021 11:57 AM  
Kerry

I agree with your "guess" and from what I understand an HOA can have a say in placement but if a given placement is the only place to get a signal, the HOA cannot stop t.
BenA2
(Texas)

07/30/2021 2:00 PM  
I think it is an oversimplification to say that federal law says you have to allow satellite dishes no matter what. According to the FCC fact sheet, the rule prohibits restrictions that impair a viewer's ability to receive signals.

"A restriction impairs if it: (1) unreasonably delays or prevents use of; (2) unreasonably increases the cost of; or (3) precludes a person from receiving or transmitting an acceptable quality signal from an antenna covered under the rule."

To me that means you could restrict ground mounting unless they had no reasonable alternative where they could still receive a signal. In the scenario you give, they could still mount it to the side of the house without incurring an unreasonable delay or cost.
BenA2
(Texas)

07/30/2021 2:03 PM  
Posted By LetA on 07/30/2021 6:42 AM

Nope it does not. i'm originally from Ohio, there are some cities and suburbs that are sticklers when it comes to antennas, towers and satellite dishes. That's just the not historic designation districts.
From my days working at a retailer that sold satellite dishes before and after PRb-1 & PRB-2 were passed by congress a few suburbs in my area required satellite dishes not be visible from the street and had to be installed at the rear of the home on the ground. This was just the non historic districts.

Federal law indeed trumps all other laws and rules but this federal law makes an exception for historic districts.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Satellite Dish questions

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement