Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Stock pictures for real estate agents
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JackJ9

06/30/2021 1:12 PM  
I've noticed that the real estate agents like to take pictures of our community amenities (like a playground, a monument sign, a park, etc) but they take really crummy pictures of them that don't show our community well. I have taken much better pictures myself.

Has anyone tried providing HOA-owned stock pictures to real estate agents of community amenities? I know it sounds strange, but it bugs me when poor quality images of the things we have put our heart and soul into making look nice are featured on real estate listings.
LetA
(Nevada)

06/30/2021 2:13 PM  
That would be a good Idea, but RE agents are much better than others. I have seen some top notch agents take stellar pictures and drone footage of the property, and I've seen some agents that are using a 0.9 megapixel camera that first came out 20 years ago. I have seen some agents use pictures from previous property listings. There are some instances where I have seen homes in my gated community showing pictures of amenities in an adjoining HOA, I reached out to one RE agent and they were so self conceited that "I know what i'm doing" attitude so I don't even bother. Quite honestly, leave it to the RE Agents. When those $#!tty agents wonder why their commission checks are nonexistent, they need to look at how their producing agents are listing homes.
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

06/30/2021 2:18 PM  
I agree.I too love it when they take pics of a pool that isn't ours. Ours looks so much better.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

06/30/2021 2:32 PM  
I know that in my neighborhood, agents regularly recycle old pictures for rental listings.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
JackJ9

06/30/2021 2:43 PM  
Posted By DouglasK1 on 06/30/2021 2:32 PM
I know that in my neighborhood, agents regularly recycle old pictures for rental listings.

That's the problem. They are recycling old images of our playgrounds, monument, etc, that have been dramatically improved since when they took the picture. Plus the pictures they use aren't very good. I have much nicer ones.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

06/30/2021 2:43 PM  
In the community I manage, the landscaping was very poorly maintained before I came along. It's getting better, but it will take years for it to look great. I've seen many realtor photos that have been photoshopped to improve the appearance - I wonder what the clients think when the actually come to the property.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/30/2021 2:54 PM  
It will be nearly impossible to make "stock" photos of your HOA to distribute. Each RE work as individuals. They may work within a "bigger agency" like Century 21 but still independent. You could always contact their main offices in town. Only other option would be to contact the seller/owner to provide them pictures to give their realtor. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter too much. Someone wants to buy the house they get stuck with the HOA...

Former HOA President
DouglasK1
(Florida)

06/30/2021 7:28 PM  
Posted By BarbaraT1 on 06/30/2021 2:43 PM
In the community I manage, the landscaping was very poorly maintained before I came along. It's getting better, but it will take years for it to look great. I've seen many realtor photos that have been photoshopped to improve the appearance - I wonder what the clients think when the actually come to the property.

My daughter was house shopping last year and found at least one listing with a photoshopped lawn and landscaping, she drove by and there was very little resemblance.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
DeidreB
(Virginia)

06/30/2021 8:54 PM  
When a homeowner lists their home for sale with an agent they hired, that is a private transaction between them exclusively and the HOA has only one responsibility -- providing the resale disclosure package (at least in all the states I have lived in this far). During our last home sale, the HOA board "busy bodies" (and I'm being kind - they were intrusive people) tried to get involved in every way possible, to include meeting with prospective buyers curbside during appointments and interfering with my agent's perfectly legal drone photography of our home. My realtor and I nipped that in the bud right away. Even so, I understand how normal it is to want to see homes in your neighborhood look nice online and sell at the highest price possible. The good thing is that it is a competitive endeavor so any lackluster photos in one listing will surely be outdone by some go getter agent in the future.
MaxB4
(California)

06/30/2021 9:42 PM  
Posted By DeidreB on 06/30/2021 8:54 PM
When a homeowner lists their home for sale with an agent they hired, that is a private transaction between them exclusively and the HOA has only one responsibility -- providing the resale disclosure package (at least in all the states I have lived in this far). During our last home sale, the HOA board "busy bodies" (and I'm being kind - they were intrusive people) tried to get involved in every way possible, to include meeting with prospective buyers curbside during appointments and interfering with my agent's perfectly legal drone photography of our home. My realtor and I nipped that in the bud right away. Even so, I understand how normal it is to want to see homes in your neighborhood look nice online and sell at the highest price possible. The good thing is that it is a competitive endeavor so any lackluster photos in one listing will surely be outdone by some go getter agent in the future.

Agree 110%.
ND
(PA)

07/01/2021 1:32 PM  
I think the best you could probably do is post your photos online somewhere, appropriately indicate that they can be used without restristion, inform members where they are, and ask that they relay this info to their agent when listings are created . . . then keep your fingers crossed that your photos get used.

I suppose, if you feel so inclined, you can reach out to many of your local agents (before properties are listed) and inform them of the same so they could possibly retain the info in their files for use/reference later. And I suppose you could also reach out to agents (after properties are listed) and let them know about the photos that are available for their use if they'd like to substitute or add to existing ones.
KerryL1
(California)

07/01/2021 2:07 PM  
I like ND's ideas and have previously considered them for our high rise HOA. Pics that show up on listing here are sometimes ridiculous because they're so bad. Some even have pics of our lobbies from 5 years ago before we rehabbed them. A photo of our nice pool, jacuzzi, sundeck shows almost nothing but pool water.

Jack has indicated he wants to cut back a bit on the work he does on his Board and ND's idea about posting some attractive pics on your website for owners to pass on to their realtors sounds the least time consuming.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

07/01/2021 2:26 PM  
The market is so hot right now that unless the pics are really bad I don't know how much this matters. I'm not saying it's not worth doing but it would be low on my priority list.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Stock pictures for real estate agents

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement