Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: property maintenance management software
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LaskaS
(Texas)

06/27/2021 3:36 PM  
Hi, does anyway have any trial and error experience with property maintenance software.
I'm specifically talking about condominium properties.

There are numerous different software options that i've researched on the web. If anyone has done the same research and gone through the process of trying to migrate property maintenance, scheduling, reporting. etc. Can you please recommend what were some of the things you encountered as you implemented the program.

It's so clear to me that a centralized computer maintenance management system would benefit our property. Finally putting in place procedures and calendars and schedules that must be adhered to.
The only people that seem to object are the people that would have to actually utilize the system.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/27/2021 4:46 PM  
Now you want to do the Property Manager's job for them... My ankles are covered in bites...

Former HOA President
TimB4
(Tennessee)

06/27/2021 5:33 PM  
As you are finding out, software only works if properly used.

I've mentioned in the past about finding a database with everything on it in our files.
nobody new how to use the database until I found it and it was many years out of date.
we chose to keep it simple.

We use:
word processing
spreadsheets
pen and paper

I created calendars that specify when things need to be done and incorporated them in our officer binders (which I also created). Hopefully they are still being used.

That said, this topic has been discussed several times in the past.
Simply do a search for "software" on this site (click magnifying glass with word Search)

Remember posting rules do not allow mentioning of products.
MaxB4
(California)

06/27/2021 5:58 PM  
Unfortunately, the days are ending for HOA's that are self-managed using less than current technology. I have heard of officers being removed because they are behind the times of more progressive leadership.

There are HOA specific software out there that will run your association about $100.00 a month and cloud based with a web portal for both homeowner and board use. The setup is cumbersome as they is a lot of prep work to make it successful. Then you need the individuals to operate it on a regular basis. That is why most communities hire out a management company to handle it.

A new association takes about a day to initially setup, owners, financials, banks, vendors. The time consuming is the compliance letters and maintenance records to automat the whole process. You have to go through the CCRs, Bylaws and Rules with a fine tooth comb. Who is responsible for what? A roof leaks, who's responsible for the damage inside. You have to do a lot of cut and paste to create compliance letters per state statues. Having to know how the election process works, how many directors, length of their terms, who's up this year, when is the annual meeting.

I do the cut and paste and all the financial stuff. When it comes to composing the language for all the letters, I have someone who know writing better than I do. Want me to write a simple letter, not a chance in hell, work on a billion dollar budget, with my eyes closed. Point is, get together a committee to work on the project, once a decision is made. There is a lot of work, but in the long run, you might like the results.
LaskaS
(Texas)

06/27/2021 7:47 PM  
no no,, this is for the property manager.

the association is trying to find a software solution
LaskaS
(Texas)

06/27/2021 8:00 PM  
Tim,

did you create the calendars using any kind of template.

what we.,re trying to get a handle on(working with a like minded board member) ,

do you use one calendar for ongoing property maintenance and another calendar for captial improvements or major renovations?

I spent months researching cmms solutions. Found one. Went through the training, spent hours setting up the back end of the software to make sure the demo for the board would go smoothly. When the demo occurred. the board loved it and approved the expenditure $3500 for a year..
then the pm at the time didn't use it. she claimed the workers didn't want to use it. ..
after she was let go for poor job performance . JB(board member) took over temporarily. He assured the board he would use the software. ( i insisted on that before I would vote to approve hiring him on a temp basis until a replacement was found). He didn't use it.
7 months later. there is still not any written maintenance schedule. short term or long term.
work orders are not being tracked .
Finally the board realizes what i've been saying all along. JB is not performing the duties that the association requires of the PM.

so i'm working with a board member and we're creating spread sheets.

I just know there is a better way. That will allow any board member to log in occasionally and see what is getting done, how long things are taken etc.

MaxB4
(California)

06/27/2021 8:10 PM  
Posted By LaskaS on 06/27/2021 7:47 PM
no no,, this is for the property manager.

the association is trying to find a software solution

Actually, self managed HOA use this software.
LaskaS
(Texas)

06/27/2021 8:19 PM  
yes we are self mananged, we employ an onsite property manager.

we want the property manager to utilize the software for all maintenance schedules and work orders of the association.
MaxB4
(California)

06/27/2021 8:25 PM  
Serious Laska, you guys need to come out of the stone ages and get some professional help.
LaskaS
(Texas)

06/27/2021 8:37 PM  
I know that.!..

pre-harvey,, we had a well oiled machine. There were schedules and procedures on how maintenance was handled.

I have repeatedly told the board that the old maintenance calendar and procedures can be easily recreated if someone would just look at the old files!.
There is one board member who has continually tried to do things his way instead of the way things have been done for 20 years. On top of that, he hasn't created any procedures or process trail so that anyone else would know what is going on. I have continued to try and warn the board that letting one person have all the control and decision making without having to keep everyone else informed or only informing them on a what he thinks they need to know basis is a recipe for disaster.

As much as he has tried to eliminate me from the picture.(since I was the only board member who recognized the dysfunction of what was going on). I'm still here. I'm not on the board anymore.
However, the majority of the board know I am right. That's why they call me and ask for my input and help on understanding the bylaws, or the property issues . etc.
If my points regarding the lack of procedures or accountability were actually just "ankle biting" as some have suggested, I would have been tuned out a long time ago.
MaxB4
(California)

06/27/2021 8:45 PM  
Posted By LaskaS on 06/27/2021 8:37 PM
I know that.!..

pre-harvey,, we had a well oiled machine. There were schedules and procedures on how maintenance was handled.

I have repeatedly told the board that the old maintenance calendar and procedures can be easily recreated if someone would just look at the old files!.
There is one board member who has continually tried to do things his way instead of the way things have been done for 20 years. On top of that, he hasn't created any procedures or process trail so that anyone else would know what is going on. I have continued to try and warn the board that letting one person have all the control and decision making without having to keep everyone else informed or only informing them on a what he thinks they need to know basis is a recipe for disaster.

As much as he has tried to eliminate me from the picture.(since I was the only board member who recognized the dysfunction of what was going on). I'm still here. I'm not on the board anymore.
However, the majority of the board know I am right. That's why they call me and ask for my input and help on understanding the bylaws, or the property issues . etc.
If my points regarding the lack of procedures or accountability were actually just "ankle biting" as some have suggested, I would have been tuned out a long time ago.

I was fighting an uphill battle where I lived over a handful of people. I realized it wasn't worth it and left Dodge as quickly as the horse could gallop.
TimB4
(Tennessee)

06/28/2021 12:28 AM  
Posted By LaskaS on 06/27/2021 8:00 PM
Tim,

did you create the calendars using any kind of template.

Simply used word - no template.

See attached

Attachment: 1628281313771.doc

TimB4
(Tennessee)

06/28/2021 12:30 AM  
Posted By LaskaS on 06/27/2021 8:37 PM

However, the majority of the board know I am right.

Then the majority of the board need to step up and replace officers.

You could be appointed an officer without being a director (if you and a majority of the board agrees).

SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

07/04/2021 6:55 AM  

I've mentioned in the past about finding a database with everything on it in our files.
nobody new how to use the database until I found it and it was many years out of date.

Yup. Software changes, computers change and suddenly that database doesnt work. Is anyone a database expert that can fix it? No. Many board members can barely use a computer. Or no one uses it. Specialized databases are over rated. A good level of organization can solve many small association needs without a database.

We use:
word processing
spreadsheets
pen and paper

Same here.

We use:
PDF for document archiving. Scanned files as PDF, saved files as PDF, etc.
Word (Google docs free)
Excel (Google docs free)
Google Calendar (share with board members)
Google Drive (share all PDF, word, excel, etc files as read only with anyone who wants to see them. No more record requests. Find it yourself. Files are easily saved to a thumb drive in case Google drive deletes everything.

All these items are free, and common files that should be able to be opened for decades. Once you stray into other files or databases, they dont age well and wont be able to be opened.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > property maintenance management software

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement