Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Pool Furniture Replacement
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MelissaJ5
(Texas)

06/27/2021 7:48 AM  
I'm on our HOA board and have been tasked with researching cost to replace all of our pool furniture as it's cheap quality, old, and cracked. We currently have resin/plastic for everything and after researching it looks like aluminum is the way to go because it's durable and affordable as compared to wrought iron. I'm looking at sling chaises and chairs and of course I'm concerned about kids ripping the fabric. We have some kids in our neighborhood who have cost us a lot of money! We've had volleyball/tennis nets destroyed, landscaping pulled, furniture thrown in the pool (common thing but don't understand it??) and just general disregard for property. They've also ripped out plumbing in the cabana bathroom and have done some other horrible things that I won't go into. We have a guarded community so the safety officers deal with this on a daily basis. Just disrespectful teens causing trouble in one way or another! Anyway, what I'm looking for is a company to purchase commercial grade pool furniture. Leaning towards poolfurnituresupply.com as it seems to have a lot of options and priced reasonably. It looks like chaises will be between $200-$250 and chairs around $170. Haven't looked at tables. Any tips and advice is appreciated!

Thank you!
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/27/2021 8:28 AM  
I would go with a pool company for pool furniture. Most of the time it is designed for pool use. It won't be cheap but quality is better. Some HOA's will "dump" their furniture into the pool at the beginning of the season to "clean" it. The chlorine is a good germ killer and can react in the sun.

May be bad/good idea but maybe can find a way to secure the furniture to the pool area. Like if you have a back wall tie a chain and hook it. I would hesitate any tie downs to the pool deck itself. There are good and bad things about that idea but maybe will give a direction to go in.

Former HOA President
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/27/2021 9:52 AM  
You might want to do fact the local parks department for referrals. Get more than one, so you can look at at least three bids.

In light of the vandalism, you may also want to consider installing storage areas for the furniture. If you don't have a process for going after the vandals (add-in by you've caught some of them), it's time to establish them. This should paying damages for the destruction and possibly banning those homeowners (everyone in that household) from using the pool. Sounds extreme, but homeowners should be held responsible for the behavior of their family members and friends.

You don't say If your safety officers are off duty cops - before we got rid of our pool, that's who we used for pool monitors and gave them authority to shut the pool down for the rest of the day of people got too rowdy. They may be able to contact police and have the crazies arrested. All of this is gangster, but people need to know understand there are rules and consequences for breaking them. The first few rounds of sanctification he could send a message to everyone else.

If nothing works, shut down the pool for the rest of the season. In fact send a letter to the homeowners letting them know that's a possibility and encourage them to notify the property manager if they see something (names will be kept confidential, but if legal action becomes necessary, they may be subpoenaed to testify.)

Finally, you may need surveillance cameras - if that means assessments will be increased to pay for monitoring, so be it. Perhaps that will encourage people to behave themselves and make their friends do the same.
RonM20
(Virginia)

06/27/2021 10:17 AM  
Our furniture is old and also needs replacing. But, we haven’t opened this year because of the lack of lifeguards.

We’ve had a group of people described as older kids break into the pool by unraveling the chain links in the fence and then swimming. This has happened late at night twice in the past week. The first time we paid a fence company 750 dollars to put it back together. I patched it up yesterday for nothing.

I’d love to be able to shut it down forever and use the space for something else.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/27/2021 2:56 PM  
Stuff like this is one of the many reasons our board finally shut down the pool. it wasn't easy because people did like the idea of having a place where the kids, visiting grandkids and whatnot could be entertained throughout the summer. However our budget couldn't handle increasing pool monitor and the maintenance costs, teens and preteens sneaking in the pool and throwing stuff in it (the last of the crawfish from recreations pond wound up there on one ocassion), lack of parents supervising their kids, especially little ones who might poop or nearly drown in the pool (because our toddler pool was also shut down), etc.

We got an estimate as to how much it would cost to upgrade the pools, the percentage of homeowners using it (less than 5%) and then sent a letter b homeowners laying out the numbers what it would do to assessments (increase them A LOT)and recommended that they approve the board getting rid of it.

It took 18 months to get the percentage we thought we needed, but it was approced. I say thought because we looked at the percentage needed to amend CcRscand thought it applied t changing amenities. Our attorney later said it didn't but it was as still a good idea to get buy-in from the homeowners.

I'd hoped the board would develop a nice outdoor space honest to the clubhouse with a gazebo where people could bring their grill to cook, that would increase the number clubhouse rentals and make the space more self supporting, but we didn't haves the money and today it remains a large grassy area that seems to be more of a restaurant for geese than anything else. Maybe someday....
MaxB4
(California)

06/27/2021 3:16 PM  
All our pool furniture was included in our Reserve Study and generally had a useful life of 8 years with a replacement cost of $10K. We originally had the high quality white plastic lounge chairs but went with a metal tubular style that had straps. We found a local company that would pickup and re-strap chairs as needed.

I found that younger people just starting out will buy into a brand new community with amenities for themselves and the kids to come. As the community ages, and home prices have escalated, the demographics change.

Sometimes a problem arises when a Board makes the decision to close the pool for lack of use, but the Architectural Guidelines do not allow for pool on private lots because the developer had provided that amenity.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

06/27/2021 5:00 PM  
Melissa,

You're on the right track in exploring your pool furniture replacement. Go with aluminum chairs w/ vinyl strapping for seating.

Purchase from a professional pool supply company and the commercial grade is what you want. Even better would be to purchase from a local pool supply/outdoor furniture company who can also assist you in the chairs' maintenance every three years or so. Local companies can help pick up your chairs, ship them off for restoration and return them to your pool site. It's worth the expense.

Aluminum chairs can be both re-strapped with fresh vinyl strapping as well as professionally repainted to restore the "like new" status. I also recommend, if needed, buying commercial pool grade tables.

If you wanna skimp anywhere, pick up your umbrellas from a local big box, home improvement store. Having purchased expensive, traditional umbrellas to pair with the tables, the store-bought ones are less expensive and tend to give you the same life span due to heavy-handed use.

However, the pool lounge chairs would be money well spent.
MelissaJ5
(Texas)

06/27/2021 11:39 PM  
Posted By KellyM3 on 06/27/2021 5:00 PM
Melissa,

You're on the right track in exploring your pool furniture replacement. Go with aluminum chairs w/ vinyl strapping for seating.

Purchase from a professional pool supply company and the commercial grade is what you want. Even better would be to purchase from a local pool supply/outdoor furniture company who can also assist you in the chairs' maintenance every three years or so. Local companies can help pick up your chairs, ship them off for restoration and return them to your pool site. It's worth the expense.

Aluminum chairs can be both re-strapped with fresh vinyl strapping as well as professionally repainted to restore the "like new" status. I also recommend, if needed, buying commercial pool grade tables.

If you wanna skimp anywhere, pick up your umbrellas from a local big box, home improvement store. Having purchased expensive, traditional umbrellas to pair with the tables, the store-bought ones are less expensive and tend to give you the same life span due to heavy-handed use.

However, the pool lounge chairs would be money well spent.

Thank you! I'm looking at aluminum frame chaises and chairs only and was actually staying away from vinyl straps. I don't like the look and comfortability. I just remember sticking to them on hot days lol. I would like to do sling chaises and chairs. Most of the chairs will be covered under a cabana so no umbrella necessary so that saves a bit on cost. I like the idea of contacting a local pool company. Don't know why I didn't think of that! I was looking for commercial patio furniture retailers near me but didn't find any that were really going to be affordable for the qty we need. Again, thank you for these tips!
KerryL1
(California)

06/28/2021 10:17 AM  
Our sling aluminum pool furniture works well. The aluminum frames & tables are Brown Jordan and are 20 years old. We've had them "reslung" if that's a word, twice--last time about 5 years ago and they'll last another 5 years if we need them too.

We have almost no children here, but grandkids, etc. do visit. So the furniture gets no abuse.

When you do get new aluminum furniture get powder coated items. Immediately have staff (or volunteers) put a thin coat of car wax on them to protect them.
JackJ9

06/28/2021 12:54 PM  
I'm just going to say that the issues that you are having with vandalism sound serious and not "normal teenager misbehavior". Things like throwing furniture into the pool might be classified as normal teenager misbehavior, but ripping out plumbing in the bathroom is not.

I agree with the others that if vandalism is common, closing the pool might be a better idea.
LetA
(Nevada)

06/28/2021 1:07 PM  
Posted By JackJ9 on 06/28/2021 12:54 PM
I'm just going to say that the issues that you are having with vandalism sound serious and not "normal teenager misbehavior". Things like throwing furniture into the pool might be classified as normal teenager misbehavior, but ripping out plumbing in the bathroom is not.

I agree with the others that if vandalism is common, closing the pool might be a better idea.

Every time a homeowner asks about pool furniture especially chaise loungers Our PM always cites people throwing it in the pool. SMH. Unfortunately this is the case, twice since the pool reopened on May 8th one of the shower heads has been vandalized costing the HOA $200.00 each time to fix it. It has been broken several times over the years. I keep insisting that we upgrade to more tamper proof fixtures, but nobody listens. They like shelling out $$$ to the vendor to keep fixing it. Like someone is getting a kickback.

As for Chaise Loungers, I I would chain them in place so they can't be moved. A simple 1" round eye hook a masonry anchor and some RTV sealant. Small length of chain and a padlock.
KerryL1
(California)

06/28/2021 1:27 PM  
OK - now there's two recs to chain longer in place. I really think that would be horrible aesthetically. In addition, sunbathers like to move lingers as the sun move. By late afternoon in our HOA, for instance, there's only sun at one end of the pool.

With others, get cameras and cite and fine the owners of the units that are vandalizing. Withhold pool use from them if your document permit. If bad behavior continues, with others, close the pool for a couple of weeks. Maybe neighbors will start disciplining violators in their own way.
LetA
(Nevada)

06/29/2021 8:58 AM  
Well Kerry, my suggestion of having garden gnomes armed with AK-47's that shoot OC skin piercing pellets That pop up out of the ground like lawn irrigation sprayers was shot down like a lead balloon.
MaxB4
(California)

06/30/2021 10:10 AM  
Posted By LetA on 06/29/2021 8:58 AM
Well Kerry, my suggestion of having garden gnomes armed with AK-47's that shoot OC skin piercing pellets That pop up out of the ground like lawn irrigation sprayers was shot down like a lead balloon.

I would stay with an AR-15, as it's American made.
ChrisP5
(Missouri)

07/03/2021 6:14 AM  
We did the vinyl strap furniture several years ago and it has held up great. Customizing the strap colors with the accent straps also gave our pool a more upscale look than when we had big box store loungers. We have had our pool furniture go in the pool several times. We ended up with some long sections of vinyl covered steel cable that runs through the backs of all of the furniture and secures it all to the pool fence. It really doesn’t look bad and has done the job of keeping the furniture out of the pool. An added benefit is that people don’t drag furniture all over the pool deck so that pool always looks in decent shape. One tip on pool furniture - if you use a management company they may have other associations looking at new furniture as well. When we ordered we did a bulk buy for 3 associations to get a volume discount and same some money on shipping costs.

Adding a security camera system was expensive but deterred a lot of the issues we were having. We also changed to an electronic lock system with cards to control access after hours. Same teenagers broke our old vinyl fence while hopping it so when we replaced the fence we went with something a foot taller and that has a flare outward at the top - it’s stopped all but the very very dedicated fence jumpers. Several other associations in town have started using what we did to keep fence jumpers out.
MelissaJ5
(Texas)

07/06/2021 10:19 AM  
Posted By ChrisP5 on 07/03/2021 6:14 AM
We did the vinyl strap furniture several years ago and it has held up great. Customizing the strap colors with the accent straps also gave our pool a more upscale look than when we had big box store loungers. We have had our pool furniture go in the pool several times. We ended up with some long sections of vinyl covered steel cable that runs through the backs of all of the furniture and secures it all to the pool fence. It really doesn’t look bad and has done the job of keeping the furniture out of the pool. An added benefit is that people don’t drag furniture all over the pool deck so that pool always looks in decent shape. One tip on pool furniture - if you use a management company they may have other associations looking at new furniture as well. When we ordered we did a bulk buy for 3 associations to get a volume discount and same some money on shipping costs.

Adding a security camera system was expensive but deterred a lot of the issues we were having. We also changed to an electronic lock system with cards to control access after hours. Same teenagers broke our old vinyl fence while hopping it so when we replaced the fence we went with something a foot taller and that has a flare outward at the top - it’s stopped all but the very very dedicated fence jumpers. Several other associations in town have started using what we did to keep fence jumpers out.

Sad thing is we just put in a taller fence with a spike at the top to deter jumping over it as well as key cards. We also have a guarded front entrance so our safety officers are always having to go back to the pool and deal with the drama. Oh and we have cameras as well. We are actually going to staff the pool area with another safety officer from may-sept from 6pm-2am. It's crazy the extent we have to through to deal with these teens!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Pool Furniture Replacement

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement