Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA Noise Guideline
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TiffanyB2
(Virginia)

06/21/2021 7:03 PM  
I am curious how a noise guideline is written. I currently live in a tiny townhouse community and I think certain residents are mistaking daily living with excessive noise. I hear my neighbors go up and down the steps, close kitchen cabinets, etc. My dog barks several times a day for a few seconds. I feel like I am getting ready to prepare for battle where normal living ends and excessive noise starts. I mean I can't find it realistic to fine someone for making noise in their home or a dog barking for a few seconds. Can you help me out and show me what is reasonable as I can't make it work in my head. Thank you
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/21/2021 7:24 PM  
It is usually a time thing with noise. 8 am to 10 pm is recommended times in many HOA's where certain noises are "acceptable". However, after 10 pm in general is time to keep things on the downlow.

Former HOA President
JackJ9

06/21/2021 7:40 PM  
I agree.

No opening cabinets after 10pm.
TiffanyB2
(Virginia)

06/22/2021 3:18 AM  
LOL- one other board member is wanting a noise clause. Our houses are not the best sound proof. I was just saying I can hear my neighbors as I am sure they hear my dog. Now on the other hand, I think this could be the exact issue(s) the person is trying to control. I am not the police and not willing to be so petty.
TiffanyB2
(Virginia)

06/22/2021 3:19 AM  
Thank you - she is wanting to make sure she can't hear anyone/anything at all times. This isn't possible living in a townhome sistuation IMO
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/22/2021 4:27 AM  
Understood. I swear it sounds like someone is mowing my carpet whenever someone mows in my neighborhood. However, there are certain noises that are reasonable and "natural". However, noises that are associated with bad behavior are a bit different. Those should best be handled by the police.

Again time plays a major role. Most cities also have similar requirements.

Former HOA President
CathyA3
(Ohio)

06/22/2021 6:20 AM  
Here's what I've learned from dealing with noise issues in condos:

* Construction quality makes a big difference, and no noise guidelines will compensate for poor construction.

* Similarly, noise guidelines will not stop the problem of inconsiderate residents.

* Side-to-side noise transmission seems to be less of an issue than noise from above or below.

* Our attorney said that attached homes are going to be noisier than detached ones. People have a responsibility to choose housing that meets their needs, and those who are bothered by noise in general should think twice about any attached homes. People should not expect a community to adjust its standards just because someone doesn't like them.

* Time restrictions on noises may not work. For example, what about the folks who work second or third shift: can they not do house work at all? And people can have emergencies in the middle of the night that require prompt attention.

* Condos and HOAs are not apartment complexes, and homeowners have more rights than tenants (if for no other reason than tenants can be evicted but homeowners can't). So just because something works in apartments doesn't mean that it will work in your community.

* In general, noise guidelines can encourage considerate behavior but they may or may not make enough of a difference to the noise-sensitive folks.
TiffanyB2
(Virginia)

06/22/2021 1:10 PM  
Thank you for your reply. I feel this board member has as issues from the start with everyone. Leading to the old President resigning. I agree our homes are not built well because I hear my neighbors some but I consider it daily living noise. I can't expect someone's dog not to bark, or going up and down the steps. I just can't see where we can put in order some sort of no noise at all that is what she wants
TiffanyB2
(Virginia)

06/22/2021 1:12 PM  
We are side by side btw
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/22/2021 3:25 PM  
May sound a bit crazy but why not hang some curtains or tapestries on the shared wall? Try something that could be more sound cancelling. Maybe add some accoustical sound boards. Something may fit your decor. May even be able to put up some foam board.

Former HOA President
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/22/2021 4:31 PM  
Tiffany

Treat her with benign neglect.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA Noise Guideline

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement