Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Doggie Stations - cost to maintain
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DavidG45
(Delaware)

06/20/2021 9:45 AM  
Several months ago we had five doggie stations installed at strategic areas around our community. The idea was that we would hire a contractor to empty them once a week. However, the service has told us there are environment regulations (EPA?) that require them to bring all the waste to a county facility, so the weekly fee is $260. I haven't been able to find any such regulations, but that kind of research is not something I've done in the past.

Does anybody know if this makes sense?

I think our odd-job man could just double bag them in trash bags and put them out with our weekly trash pickup.
JackJ9

06/20/2021 9:55 AM  
Our stations are taken care of by the landscape crew as part of the contract. We are not charged by the station, so when we added more there was no extra charge.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

06/20/2021 10:51 AM  
Posted By JackJ9 on 06/20/2021 9:55 AM
Our stations are taken care of by the landscape crew as part of the contract. We are not charged by the station, so when we added more there was no extra charge.

Same with us.

I'd ask the service to cite the relevant regulation, especially since you haven't been able to find anything. (It may be the local municipality's rules and not the EPA's.) If there is such a thing, you'll know to expect the same from other service providers - if not, then you've avoided dealing with the wrong company.

LetA
(Nevada)

06/20/2021 12:04 PM  
Ditto for us. Our landscapers refill the bags and remove the used waste bags.
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

06/20/2021 2:05 PM  
Not sure about Delaware, but here's a PSA from Charlotte, NC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy1-u6dIvHU

Our landscaper's fill the bag dispenser and empty the trash in the dumpster weekly. We spend around $400 a year for the bags.

I keep the bags at my condo unit. Some outside in a trash canister. The rest in my coat closet.

Have you tried calling another service to see what they say? You can call the county or city also.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
DavidG45
(Delaware)

06/21/2021 3:51 AM  
I appreciate all of the replies. It sounds as if this is likely an unnecessary process. Having the landscapers do it would be perfect. And I believe you are right, I should contact at least the county.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

06/21/2021 8:00 AM  
David,

1. Many landscapers will modify their service contracts as you've seen listed above. That is most efficient.
2. Your area likely has a "pooper scooper" service that would serve those cans if the landscaper will not.

We currently use our landscaper for dog waste can maintenance but did pay $20/week very early in the service to a dedicated company before shifting services.

Not sure why you'd call the government though to "help" you. That's the most risky thing being proposed.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Doggie Stations - cost to maintain

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement