Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: NC Special Meeting member requirements
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
WaltH1
(North Carolina)

06/19/2021 7:26 PM  
My Condo HOA was incorporated in 1972.

One of our State Statutes, 47C, requires 20% of the homeowners to call for a Special meeting.

Another State Statute, 55A, require 10% of the homeowners to call for a Special meeting.

A prestigious NC law firm says the both appy.

I'm confused? How can that happen? Does anyone have a definitive answer? court case? or anything saying which is which?

Thanks!
AugustinD

06/19/2021 8:00 PM  
The rules of statutory construction say that, when a provision from one statute conflicts with a provision of another statute, the more specific statute trumps the more general one. Hence here, and assuming the Bylaws do not specify a lower percentage than 20%, 47C (the condo statute yada) trumps 55A (the nonprofit corporation statute yada).

The law firm site you keep advertising here reflects 47C trumping 55A for condos at: https://lawfirmcarolinas.com/uploads/HOA-Condo%20Meeting%20Procedures%20Chart.pdf
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/20/2021 9:59 AM  
Aug

Great chart if for no other reason then to show things change and who they apply to.
WaltH1
(North Carolina)

06/21/2021 8:53 AM  
You're a Prince! Augustin! Are you an attorney or student of law? I have been going by the 20% rule, as indicated by Law Firm Carolinas and 47. So, 20% it is, and thank you so much for your help. Walt
MaxB4
(California)

06/21/2021 10:11 AM  
This might be worth reading

https://cedarmanagementgroup.com/north-carolina-hoa-laws/
AugustinD

06/21/2021 10:48 AM  
Posted By WaltH1 on 06/21/2021 8:53 AM
You're a Prince! Augustin! Are you an attorney or student of law? I have been going by the 20% rule, as indicated by Law Firm Carolinas and 47. So, 20% it is, and thank you so much for your help. Walt
WaltH1, I am not an attorney. I have just been around the block with HOAs/COAs for around 15 years now and have observed a few lawsuits. I know my way around the statutes and a fair amount of HOA/COA case law. You are welcome. I am sorry your Board is not complying with the law or perhaps its governing documents. It's very hard to fight these HOA/COA boards, since they will spend members' money pretty liberally to boost their ego and have an attorney represent their position. Granted there are some HOA/COA attorneys who serve the corporation and will set Boards straight when the Board is doing something not allowed under the governing docs or state and federal FHA statutes.
WaltH1
(North Carolina)

06/21/2021 11:01 AM  
Well said, AugustinD. I'm not anti-HOA's either. I've been involved with 4 over the years. 2 good and 2 bad.

As a licensed Real Estate agent, I believe in HOA's, generally, and think the good ones do a good job maintaining home values.

There are plenty of people that don't like HOA's. When showing property, I liked to drive by a house not in an HOA, painted school colors, Purple and Gold, and say this is why a good HOA is good for you.
WaltH1
(North Carolina)

06/21/2021 11:19 AM  
Thanks MaxB4. Pulled it up. Reading now.
AugustinD

06/21/2021 11:36 AM  
Posted By WaltH1 on 06/21/2021 11:01 AM
Well said, AugustinD. I'm not anti-HOA's either. I've been involved with 4 over the years. 2 good and 2 bad.

As a licensed Real Estate agent, I believe in HOA's, generally, and think the good ones do a good job maintaining home values.

There are plenty of people that don't like HOA's. When showing property, I liked to drive by a house not in an HOA, painted school colors, Purple and Gold, and say this is why a good HOA is good for you.
WaltH1, in some parts of my state, I too have noticed quite a difference between HOA neighborhoods and non-HOA neighborhoods, of the same age.

If I ever land in another HOA, my hope would be that it had minimal common areas and common facilities to maintain (so way low monthly dues), and that the covenants are being enforced.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > NC Special Meeting member requirements

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement