Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, November 29, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: rules for annual membership meetings?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BobM
(California)

04/28/2006 5:23 PM  
I am a homeowner and member of our HOA at Solera at apple valley. we recently (yesterday) attended our annual so called membership meeting. I might note that the monthly board meeting was scheduled to convene as soon as the membership meeting ended, in other words the meetings were scheduled, back to back, which was very confusing to almost all attending. The VP board member ran the meetings. Most residents in attendance were in the dark as to the conduct of this meeting, and were told by the VP they had to fill out a form before the meeting in order to speak out on any issues. That would be true for the board meeting but not for a membership meeting. I asked the VP, are we in the board or membership meeting? I was told I could not speak, and at that point the VP seemed very confused. The co. mgt. person insisted they ignore my questions and keep going! The agenda for this farce of a meeting had one item and was the appointment of three e-board members by the Developer, (Pulte) which was quickly over and the board members themselves made and passed a motion to close the meeting. I was told we the HOA members could not discuss or bring issues in front of our residents unless we called the co. Mgt. office and told him we wished them to be on the agenda! Is this a requirement for a ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING? hE QUICKLY ADDED, you do not have a quorum? I believe in the absence of a quorum, I could have made a motion to adjourn this meeting to another time and or location, is that correct? Does anyone have knowledge of rules that govern membership meetings?
hoatalk
(California)

04/28/2006 6:23 PM  
Try searching this forum for:
roberts rules

or

meeting rules

The search feature is on the upper of the forum. You will find many good discussions here on rules of meetings.

Best Regards,
HOATalk.com

HOATalk.com, A free service of Community123.com
Provider of Upscale Community Websites
CLICK HERE to get a FREE trial community website
*See legal notice below (end of page) or go to www.hoatalk.com/legal
RogerB
(Colorado)

04/28/2006 6:53 PM  
If a quorum was not present the meeting should not have been called to order. The only business which could be legally conducted is to schedule another members meeting. Genally the annual members meeting has election of directors, ratifying the annual budget, and any business which a member wishes to address. All of the items listed are violations of the proper conduct of a members meeting except it is okay to have a Board meeting after the members meeting. Obviously the chair wanted to "railroad" the members rights and or else does not know how to conduct a meeting.
SwanB
(Washington)

04/29/2006 5:33 AM  
I wanted to make a note about the Board meeting right after the Annual General Meeting as this would be normal if your AGM had been run properly under Roberts Rules of Order, had a quorum, and Board members were elected legally by the membership.
In our association our Board holds a brief Board meeting after our AGM to elect the year's Board officers; President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer.
BobM
(California)

04/29/2006 2:26 PM  
THANK YOU ROGER B FOR YOUR RESPONSE TO MY POST ON ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS. I MIGHT ADD OUR MEMBERS WERE NEVER GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO DISCUSS OR VOTE IN ANY WAY ON THE VERY LARGE BUDGET AND 19.77% ASSESSMENT INC. (JUST UNDER THE20% REQUIRING MEMBERSHIP APPROVAL) IT LOOKS LIKE THERE WERE MANY IREGULARITIES IN ALL THAT OCCURRED. I AM CONCERNED ABOUT OUR FUTURE IF NOTHING IS DONE TO STOP THIS KIND OF ABUSE? WE ARE AROUND 500 UNITS AT THIS TIME WITH ANOTHER 1500 OR SO TO GO, CAN YOU OFFER ANY GOOD ADVICE? THANKS AGAIN. BOB M.
LuciusD

04/29/2006 2:57 PM  
BobM,
It seems to me your questions are so specific to your particular association and to your state that the first thing you need to do is to read all your association documents very carefully. Probably the most important one is the bylaws. They may be very specific in the conduct of both annual and board meetings.
Then you need to read your state statutes. They may also be very specific with regard to conduct of meetings. You should be ablew to find them on the internet without too much trouble.
Good luck. It sounds like you have a bad situation.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > rules for annual membership meetings?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement