Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Security Camera at the pool
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LowellH1
(Georgia)

06/16/2021 7:18 AM  
We have an issue with people not from our community coming in and using the pool by just reaching over and opening the emergency exit gate. We are in the process of fixing that but are not too sure that will be the solution, but more of a deterrent. The idea of a security camera was proposed by a homeowner so myself and the other board members have been kicking it around the last couple of days. What are your thoughts? Do any of your pools have security cameras?
AugustinD

06/16/2021 7:21 AM  
LowellH1, I have read of condos/HOAs using security cameras at pools. I have seen them used. I think there are excellent reasons for having a security camera at the pool. Hopefully the deterrence value of the cameras outweighs the cost. My vote: Do it.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

06/16/2021 7:39 AM  
We have considered cameras to deal with inappropriate behavior at the pool (unattended children, damaging the pool furniture, dogs brought into the pool area) but we would also be able to connect video footage to the access card timestamp and identify people. I'm not sure how video of people who don't live in the community will enable you to stop them from entering.

LowellH1
(Georgia)

06/16/2021 8:48 AM  
Posted By BarbaraT1 on 06/16/2021 7:39 AM
We have considered cameras to deal with inappropriate behavior at the pool (unattended children, damaging the pool furniture, dogs brought into the pool area) but we would also be able to connect video footage to the access card timestamp and identify people. I'm not sure how video of people who don't live in the community will enable you to stop them from entering.

The way our pool is set up, we could see the cars they pull up in. The parking area for the pool faces the emergency exit instead of the pool entrance. The folks we are trying to catch have stolen pool umbrellas and have left the pool trashed a couple of times. If we can catch them at the pool, we can call the police and go from there.
DaveP8
(Oklahoma)

06/16/2021 9:15 AM  
Our cameras installed last summer have already enabled us to identify and prosecute vandallism and other prohibited activities. We installed cameras and DVR ourselves for around $1500.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

06/16/2021 9:28 AM  
Lowell,

Address the gate infrastructure to prevent easy access and you'll limit trespassing. The camera will not stop trespassing nor will it necessarily identify trespassers, it just proves what you already know is happening.
LetA
(Nevada)

06/16/2021 9:50 AM  
Consider piggybacking your surveillance system with RFID fobs on the doors to the pool and bathrooms so you can easily identify the culprit.
LowellH1
(Georgia)

06/16/2021 10:41 AM  
Posted By DaveP8 on 06/16/2021 9:15 AM
Our cameras installed last summer have already enabled us to identify and prosecute vandallism and other prohibited activities. We installed cameras and DVR ourselves for around $1500.

Thanks for the advice. We will shop around and see what makes sense for us.
MarkM19
(Texas)

06/16/2021 10:50 AM  
Lowell,
First Cameras are a great tool for the HOA to have in the Pool area. I highly recommend very bright signage posted that is also a deterrent. It also warns others who may reconsider doing vandalism. It will not stop all issues and in many cases may only be used as a way to figure out how the act was done.

Here are things to consider.

1) How many cameras do you need to cover the Pool area?
2) Do you have internet access in that Pool area?
3) Who will have access to the cameras? Usually your board and PM should have access
4) I agree that the Cameras also should be used along with the card access system to figure out who was in the area at any given time it this information is needed.
5) be prepared for some push back from some owners who will thing you are spying on them. They have no extra right to privacy when in a outside venue. I always say if you go into a typical Wall Mart you are under constant surveillance.
6) When placing cameras you should be aware that you are not looking to get close up views of people but the general view of the areas you are covering.

I always say that Camera are the best thing a HOA can purchase for the community. They work 24/7/365 and are really inexpensive these days.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Security Camera at the pool

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement