Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, September 26, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: board responsibility for repairs
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LeonaG
(Oregon)

06/15/2021 9:43 AM  
Issue: Board (via bylaws)is clearly responsible for all fence repair (including paint). Board states that because repairing fences is not 'on the agenda this year'... they will reimburse owners for materials, but not labor. Owners will be responsible for labor to repair fences.

This seems clearly illegal considering clarity of bylaws. Would the board not be required to provide some mechanism for owners to recoup those monies? Not sure how it would work - misc. expenses contributed by owner? Written statement by board of 'contribution'?

Ideas?
AugustinD

06/15/2021 9:54 AM  
Posted By LeonaG on 06/15/2021 9:43 AM
Issue: Board (via bylaws)is clearly responsible for all fence repair (including paint). Board states that because repairing fences is not 'on the agenda this year'... they will reimburse owners for materials, but not labor. Owners will be responsible for labor to repair fences.

This seems clearly illegal considering clarity of bylaws.
-- I am betting it is the covenants (not the bylaws) that say the HOA is responsible for the fences.

-- I agree with your concerns. To transfer a part of the maintenance responsibility to the owners requires a vote by the membership to amend the covenants. Liability concerns arise.

And yet, I have seen HOA membership undertake some maintenance of certain common areas (in violation of the covenants, and even with board support). It's bad practice, and it's not the "gold standard," but I admit sometimes it gets the job done a lot more quickly.

The gold standard: The Board should arrange to amend the covenants, or it should increase the assessment to pay for the painting of the fences.

Would the board not be required to provide some mechanism for owners to recoup those monies? Not sure how it would work - misc. expenses contributed by owner? Written statement by board of 'contribution'?
I do not feel attempting to estimate the value of an owner's labor is appropriate at all. Nor, in my opinion, should the board pay one cent to an owner for her or his labor to maintain a common area.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

06/15/2021 11:01 AM  
Playing devil's advocate for a bit:

The board has said that fence painting is not on the agenda for this year. This isn't unusual - the HOA can get better pricing from vendors for big projects, so it makes sense to bundle non-urgent repairs and maintenance. It's also not unusual for homeowners not to understand this if they want something done righthisminute. HOAs are often underfunded, they don't have a Magic Money Printing Machine somewhere, so strict budgeting is important if homeowners want assessments to remain in check.

It sounds like the board is attempting to meet the Rightthisminute Crowd half way by at least paying part of the cost of doing the fence work.

I agree that allowing homeowners to perform the work is a liability issue and shouldn't be done.

On the other hand, I wouldn't call it a violation of the governing documents. Many associations keep costs down by using homeowner volunteers to do some of the work. I personally think it's unwise for a variety of reasons, but as long as the HOA carries the enough insurance to cover itself when it gets sued over injuries, so be it.

If I were on the board, my answer would be "it's not on the agenda, we haven't budgeted for this expense this year, it will be done in 202x." End of discussion.

MaxB4

06/15/2021 11:38 AM  
There is a huge difference between having to repair a fence that is HOA responsibility and painting, or maintenance. One would come out of the operating budget while the other out of the reserve budget.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > board responsibility for repairs

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement