Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA Business Cards
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JackJ9

06/13/2021 5:03 PM  
Hello,

I'm the President of our Homeowners Association. I work extensively with vendors, city and county officials, and others in my duties as President.

I'm wondering if it would be appropriate and valid for me to have business cards printed up that I could exchange with others? On one hand, e-mail has replaced business cards to a large extent. I'm thinking that I probably don't need business cards. Wanted to check here and see what others thought.

Cost is minimal, maybe $40 for a decent size set. I'd do the design of course so wouldn't need to hire a designer for the cards.

Curious what others think.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/13/2021 5:24 PM  
I had a business card when I was President. It came in handy for a few reasons. Remember you are an elected VOLUNTEER. So don't go too overboard. Keep it more in keeping of HOA contact than personal. Meaning maybe set up a HOA email address. If you have a PM maybe put them down. Make sure to keep the HOA's name prominent.

It's kind of a fine line. You don't want your members to think your "running the place". You still have a board. Also want to make sure any vendors understand they are dealing with a HOA and NOT you as an individual. Locals authorities will most likely want your personal #'s. Your also a voter in their district after all...

I found it a good thing and makes you look more professional. Like your taking your job seriously. It just has to also convey it's a HOA and you just represent it.

Former HOA President
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/13/2021 5:25 PM  
Not necessary in my opinion. If this was something you were doing full time and being paid for it there may be a case for it. It's true you may work with a lot of vendors,but that won't last forever - you may get voted out or decide to resign.

MaxB4
(California)

06/13/2021 5:35 PM  
Posted By JackJ9 on 06/13/2021 5:03 PM
I'm thinking that I probably don't need business cards.

You are correct, you don't need them. But, if you want, you can make them on MS Publisher and Office Depot sells business card stock. This should be on your dime.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/13/2021 5:42 PM  
Yes for once I agree with Max. This is NOT a HOA expense. This is YOUR expense. You are doing this for your convenience.

Former HOA President
JackJ9

06/13/2021 7:06 PM  
So exactly why would this NOT be reimbursable by the association?

Something like

Jack A. Johnson
President, Twenty Acres Homeowners Association
200 Twenty Acres Drive
Medford Falls, OR
(555) 555-555
[email protected]

Along with the logo for Twenty Acres Homeowners Association.

These are not for my convenience, but for me to use as a representative of the homeowners association.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/13/2021 7:19 PM  
You are in a VOLUNTEER position. The other board members would need to vote and agree this is an approved expense. Remember the HOA budget is NOT your money. It is EVERY member's money. You have been voted in to handle the every day running of that budget. Would you agree with some of these expenses on your dime?

Former HOA President
JackJ9

06/13/2021 7:58 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 06/13/2021 7:19 PM
You are in a VOLUNTEER position. The other board members would need to vote and agree this is an approved expense. Remember the HOA budget is NOT your money. It is EVERY member's money. You have been voted in to handle the every day running of that budget. Would you agree with some of these expenses on your dime?

Yes, I think that reasonable overhead expenses that help run the association more effectively are a worthwhile expenditure. We have an operating budget between $250,000 and $300,000, and you are quibbling about a $40 expense? That is a drop in the hat compared to our overall annual budget.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/13/2021 8:13 PM  
It is not the cost it's the principle of the thing. It is still an expense that needs to be run across the rest of the board. You can't just decide what is or is not a worthy business expense on your own. I did not make our HOA pay for my business cards. I made them myself. Even if I buy something for the HOA's use, it has to be approved.

Former HOA President
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

06/14/2021 3:43 AM  
Posted By JackJ9 on 06/13/2021 7:58 PM
Posted By MelissaP1 on 06/13/2021 7:19 PM

Yes, I think that reasonable overhead expenses that help run the association more effectively are a worthwhile expenditure. We have an operating budget between $250,000 and $300,000, and you are quibbling about a $40 expense? That is a drop in the hat compared to our overall annual budget.

This is my personal opinion. I would not want to waste the time of my other volunteer board members on something this trivial. I would just buy the business cards and move on. If you feel otherwise, be prepared to explain how this expense benefits the HOA and what the cost justification is.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

06/14/2021 4:15 AM  
I never had business cards as a board member, but we employ a full-service PM who handles the work where such a thing may be needed. That may be the deciding factor. Or maybe if you're on the board of a large, well-known HOA and/or you spend time lobbying or promoting HOAs in general, physical cards may make sense - but I suspect that's not most of us.

The large majority of our vendors use smart phones since they're often in the field, which suggests some form of online business contact. If you do want to go the physical card route, the web hosting company that we used for our website also offers a bunch of design tools since they cater to the small business segment of the market.

I agree with others that this is a reasonable HOA expense (if approved by the board). It's also a trivial expense if you use the various design tools available to you, and I never bothered to get reimbursed for the little stuff - at some point my time was worth more than the few bucks I was chasing.
MarkM19
(Texas)

06/14/2021 5:24 AM  
Jack,
I agree with Cathy and mostly with others. The way you can handle this with no costs to anyone is setup a Contact in your phone that is labeled as XXX Board President with your information in it. When someone asks if you have a Business card you send them your HOA Contact info and you also get theirs. As she mentioned everyone has a smart phone and knows how to use it these days. Once you are off the board you can just delete your Contact in your phone and your are done. You may occasionally get calls from some vendors and if so you refer them to the new board member in charge.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

06/14/2021 11:59 AM  
Buy cardstock at Office Depot and print them yourself. You aren't going to be president of this HOA forever, and you likely won't use all of them during your time on the board.
JanineR
(Tennessee)

06/21/2021 10:21 AM  
A free digital business card with all the Boards info and logo seems like a good solution.

When talking to a vendor you can text or email them your card, and it will have all your details, and in turn, you will have theirs.
BenA2
(Texas)

06/21/2021 1:38 PM  
For a business, absolutely. If you get one customer with a business card you more than pay for the whole box. For an HOA I think it is a waste of money. Vendors will have a system for keeping your information and will not be accustomed to getting business cards from customers anyway.

My guess is that most people will enter your information in their phone and throw away your card.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement