Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 15, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Material recommendations for a swimming pool
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SamanthaG1
(Virginia)

06/08/2021 8:39 PM  
Hi HOA Talk! I've been thinking about getting a pool installed as part of my backyard renovation as an additional recreation area for my family and hopefully increase my home's overall value as well. I've been taking a look at the cost of getting one built and I've decided that I'll be getting an inground pool built and the material choices that I'm considering are vinyl and concrete. Vinyl seems to be the more affordable option based on this analysis in terms of purchase and installation costs plus maintenance but the concrete material option would last a lot longer before needing to have anything replaced. For pool owners, what do you think about this? Is the additional cost of going for a concrete pool over a vinyl worth it? Please let me know your thoughts, thanks!
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/08/2021 9:08 PM  
First off make sure to get approval from the HOA. Plus make sure what you plan fits any regulations they may have for having a pool. Some may not allow permanent below ground pools. It may have to be an above ground pool that is temporary.

2nd pool's do NOT typically add any home value to a home. Matter of fact, many times pool's can lower or lessen chances of purchase. Pool's are not always that attractive to potential buyers. They are cost intensive and viewed as dangerous to those with young children.

My neighbor has a pool and it's a nightmare. Doesn't clean it most of the year and it does nothing but attract mosquitos. So don't get caught up in the fantasy of pool ownership. You may find your not using it as much. The cost of chlorine is through the roof right now. Plus you may also have to install a fence around it. Are you prepared for all of these expenses with little return at sale?

Former HOA President
DouglasK1
(Florida)

06/09/2021 6:02 AM  
I've never had a vinyl pool, but have had two concrete ones. Typically I'd say they need resurfacing every 10-15 years assuming you keep your pool chemicals in balance and brush regularly, less if you are lax on that. I don't know how often vinyl liners need to be replaced, but they are probably a lot cheaper than resurfacing a concrete pool. Like many home improvements, pools typically cost more than the value they might add to your home, so buy one for the enjoyment, not as an investment. Here in Florida many buyers are looking for pool homes so they are fairly easy to sell, not sure about VA.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

06/09/2021 9:32 AM  
I agree with Melissa's comment about pools not necessarily adding value to a home. I'm currently house hunting, and I don't even consider a home with a pool - to me it's an added expense and chore, either to maintain and insure it or to get rid of it permanently after I close on the home.

So, the OP's only consideration should be whether or not he and his family will get their money's worth in enjoyment. If yes, the next consideration is the HOA's requirements for pools. Some say only in-ground, some say only above ground, some regulate screening and fencing or set other lot requirements. As far as materials go, that may depend to some extent on local climate and what holds up better and where the water table and freeze lines are. Parts of the country can have wild temperature swings, from well below 0 to well over 100 that are hard on materials.

It's not unusual to discover that by the time all the requirements are met, what you're left with isn't worth doing.
LetA
(Nevada)

06/09/2021 11:53 AM  
If you go the concrete pool route, I highly recommend plaster with quartz.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Material recommendations for a swimming pool

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement