Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 15, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: No Public Meetings
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AllanO
(Florida)

06/07/2021 8:34 AM  
Our HOA has not held a public meeting since the beginning of COVID, nor have they published minutes of their board meetings. Elections have not been held since January of 2019. They claim they don't have to because of COVID restrictions. These have been lifted by the state.

Attachment: 167343888171.pdf

SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/07/2021 6:38 PM  

Your community hasn't had a public meeting since 2019 - sorry, they can't blame all that on COVID because everything started going to caca last February and now things are opening up. In addition to the board not doing its job, I have to wonder why you and your neighbors have let this go on for two years. If your documents call for open meetings, all of you need to demand that the board do them - during COVID, lots of people went to Zoom, GoToMeeting and regular telephone conference calls to get the meetings done.

Sometimes a county may have more restrictions than the state, so you may want to check that too. Otherwise, I say to you what I usually say to people in your situation - go out and talk to your neighbors (wear a mask please!) and see how many feel the same as you. Then write a letter to the board (yes, all of you should sign it) and demand answers, starting with requesting that board meeting minutes for the last two years be made available to the homeowners. If you have a website, they can all be posted there.

If there's no response or they start to push back, your documents should also say what's required for a special meeting - you'll need one to demand the board explain themselves and then the homeowners may need to vote on recalling this board and have people ready to step up and take over. YOU may need to be one of those people, so think carefully how far you want to go with this. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

PS - even though things are opening up, you may still need to watch your social distancing, so make sure those state and/or county regulations address that, and then plan accordingly. If your clubhouse or whatever won't be big enough to do social distancing and accommodate everyone, you may have to find a place that can or have people sign up to attend and everyone else can listen in through a conference call or video conference.
AllanO
(Florida)

06/08/2021 9:52 AM  
I have filled a notice with our county Department of Business and Professional Regulations, and waiting for an investigation. They have acknowledged this and have assigned it a review number. Waiting for results. Unfortunately I am not interested in holding office but I am encouraging others to consider this option.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/08/2021 12:09 PM  
Well if you find them, great, but if you don't, you may not have any other choice. Sometimes things don't get fixed until YOU step and get involved - and if you can't or refuse to, it may not happen at all.

No one knows (yet) how this will end, but in the meantime, you can still do the work of rallying together your neighbors. You don't have to do this alone (and you really shouldn't) - once you find a group of people who feel as you do, you can divide up the work so it'll get done twice as fast and more effectively. In fact, you may get further along than waiting for the county to do anything.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

06/08/2021 1:37 PM  
Posted By AllanO on 06/08/2021 9:52 AM
I have filled a notice with our county Department of Business and Professional Regulations, and waiting for an investigation. They have acknowledged this and have assigned it a review number. Waiting for results. Unfortunately I am not interested in holding office but I am encouraging others to consider this option.

Shelia said it more diplomatically, but have you considered the possibility that your neighbors have all taken a similar "oh no not me" attitude and this is why you haven't had any meetings lately?

Frankly, encouraging others to do things you're not willing to do yourself can be a mighty tough sell - and when I was on the board myself, that attitude was the one thing that consistently got my nose out of joint.
AugustinD

06/10/2021 6:55 PM  
Unfortunately I am not interested in holding office but I am encouraging others to consider this option.
I question the ethics of someone criticizing a board for significant mistakes but who will not run for the board him- or herself.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/11/2021 9:57 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 06/10/2021 6:55 PM
Unfortunately I am not interested in holding office but I am encouraging others to consider this option.
I question the ethics of someone criticizing a board for significant mistakes but who will not run for the board him- or herself.

I agree.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement