Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, December 09, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Condo Blue Book
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BarbaraD11
(Washington)

06/06/2021 11:26 AM  
Does the condo blue book apply to all states or just California.?
AugustinD

06/06/2021 11:30 AM  
I believe whoever is printing, say, a "blue book for condominiums" is running a commercial, and so for profit, enterprise, not sponsored by any state government.

The only "blue book" that counts to me is a state's condo/HOA statutes; a state's nonprofit corporation statute; the case law pertaining to the statutes and condos/hoas in general; and the HOA/COA's governing documents.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

06/06/2021 11:53 AM  
The web site says that it's for California.

Condo associations have many similarities but there are significant differences based on location and the details of individual governing documents. Even single communities can change over time.

So things like this blue book can be helpful for getting the gist of what an owner can expect, but it should not be taken as gospel, especially if you live in a different state. And as Augustin noted, these folks are selling a service - they also appear to be a law practice and couldn't give legal advice if not licensed in your state. Caveat Emptor (the first thing a potential condo owner should know.)
MaxB4
(California)

06/06/2021 12:54 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 06/06/2021 11:30 AM
I believe whoever is printing, say, a "blue book for condominiums" is running a commercial, and so for profit, enterprise, not sponsored by any state government.

The only "blue book" that counts to me is a state's condo/HOA statutes; a state's nonprofit corporation statute; the case law pertaining to the statutes and condos/hoas in general; and the HOA/COA's governing documents.

I have to assume you have never hear of the Condominium Blue Book for California. Here is a link: https://www.condobook.com/
MaxB4
(California)

06/06/2021 12:55 PM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 06/06/2021 11:53 AM
The web site says that it's for California.

Condo associations have many similarities but there are significant differences based on location and the details of individual governing documents. Even single communities can change over time.

So things like this blue book can be helpful for getting the gist of what an owner can expect, but it should not be taken as gospel, especially if you live in a different state. And as Augustin noted, these folks are selling a service - they also appear to be a law practice and couldn't give legal advice if not licensed in your state. Caveat Emptor (the first thing a potential condo owner should know.)

It's also put out by a leading California HOA law firm ...... kinda like ....Adams Stirling
AugustinD

06/06/2021 3:02 PM  
Posted By MaxB4 on 06/06/2021 12:54 PM

I have to assume you have never hear of the Condominium Blue Book for California. Here is a link: https://www.condobook.com/
You did not read my post, jackass.
MaxB4
(California)

06/06/2021 3:24 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 06/06/2021 3:02 PM
Posted By MaxB4 on 06/06/2021 12:54 PM

You did not read my post, jackass.

Here is what the book contains:

The Condominium Bluebook for California
Written in a clear and concise manner by an expert on condominium law, this unique and valuable “homeowner’s bible” covers the statutory laws, case law and procedures that govern how common interest developments operate in California.

More Than 200,000 Copies Sold
The 2021 Condominium Bluebook represents the 33rd Edition of the Condominium Bluebook series. Homeowners have relied on this resource book and buy a new copy every year to stay current.

The Bluebook is Concise, Easy to Read, and Easy to Use
This handy reference is meant to be taken to every member and board meeting – like having an attorney in your back pocket.

It Covers Nearly Every Aspect of HOA Law with an Expert Analysis
Mr. Bickel has developed a thorough and clearly written guide to every aspect of HOA law which makes the Condominium Bluebook a uniquely valuable resource. Every new or amended code section is highlighted in bold italics for ease of reference.

Including Forms, Parliamentary Procedures, and Other Tools
From over 35 years of advising homeowners association and serving as a mediator, Mr. Bickel has created checklists and forms that every association will find useful. Also included in the 2021 edition are model election rules that conform to the newly renumbered and revised Davis-Stirling Act and a handy Conversion Table.

Outside of one's governing docs, it appears it checks off all "your" requirement. But then, that would require you to actually read what I posted!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement