Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 15, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA management company with no office
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JohnP48
(Florida)

06/04/2021 8:13 AM  
Our HOA is looking at hiring a new, small management company but they do not have a physical office yet although they say they will very soon when they grow. Should that be a concern? Are there any requirements for a management company having office space?

They have assured us they have a space available for meeting with owners to review documents and other situations that may arise.

Thoughts?
AugustinD

06/04/2021 8:16 AM  
My vote as a director on whether to hire this management company (MC) would depend on the size of the non-condo HOA and the extent of what the Board expects the MC to do. I might very well be fine with the MC not having offices.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

06/04/2021 9:28 AM  
Posted By JohnP48 on 06/04/2021 8:13 AM
Our HOA is looking at hiring a new, small management company but they do not have a physical office yet although they say they will very soon when they grow. Should that be a concern? Are there any requirements for a management company having office space?

They have assured us they have a space available for meeting with owners to review documents and other situations that may arise.

Thoughts?

They have space available? What space?

Do they have references? Do they have experience?

Is it one person or an actual company with employees?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/04/2021 9:29 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 06/04/2021 8:16 AM
My vote as a director on whether to hire this management company (MC) would depend on the size of the non-condo HOA and the extent of what the Board expects the MC to do. I might very well be fine with the MC not having offices.

I agree. Also, be especially sure to define duties and obligations.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/04/2021 9:34 AM  
Since Covid many people no longer use their office spaces. Most people are working from home. So it may be the new "normal" to not have an "office space". My work have not seen my co-workers in office for over a year now. Some may not even come back into the office unless for Tech support.

Former HOA President
JeremyH5
(Wisconsin)

06/07/2021 1:34 PM  
I found that since the pandemic, remote HOA Management has taken off. Clark Simson Miller is probably one of the most up and coming businesses. You can find them here. https://clarksimsonmiller.com
CathyA3
(Ohio)

06/07/2021 2:11 PM  
Our current PM has no offices. I don't understand how they are able to provide the services they claim to provide to the number of communities they claim to serve.

Who maintains your community's records, and where do people go when they've requested access to some of your records? Where would owners have to go? What sort of backup protection do your records have? Rb.cords management is often a PM's job.

My issues with companies that lack a physical location are:

* Big issue: no track record/lack of recommendations from satisfied customers.

* Making people go to strangers' homes is not safe for a variety of reasons, for both the homeowners and the persons who live in that home.

* Commercial office space often provides physical security, including sprinkler systems in case of fires. A person's home is unlikely to have these. In addition, a person's home may have pets and kids getting into stuff they shouldn't or a spouse who can access confidential information.

* Is after-hours emergency support an issue? People who work at home aren't going to want somebody calling at 2 AM because a pipe burst in the condo upstairs.

* They may plan to grow, but that's no guarantee that they will. If they don't get enough clients or they don't manage their growth well, they may well put themselves out of business.

A new company can work out well - our previous PM's company started with a single person who was fed up with the quality of service provided by the company that managed her community. But this company provided top notch service from the get-go and now is taking serious market share from the Big Dog in my area. Your new company may not do that.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to wait a while and see what kind of a track record they have after a few years.
LetA
(Nevada)

06/07/2021 3:34 PM  
After the age of Covid, who needs an office? I'm willing to bet this is going to be a new trend. Expect more zoom meeting in the future. The Jetsons age is here and now.

I have a question for more of you seasoned board members when it comes to sealed bids and opening them during the meeting, Before, covid, bids were opened during the meeting, read, reviewed and sometimes voted on at the meeting.

Is it legal and kosher to after the PM opens the bids, reads them on the record, then make a motion to review the bids via email and vote to approve after the meeting? IF we had to wait, i would be 3 months or longer to approve a bid.
MaxB4
(Maine)

06/07/2021 4:01 PM  
Posted By LetA on 06/07/2021 3:34 PM
After the age of Covid, who needs an office? I'm willing to bet this is going to be a new trend. Expect more zoom meeting in the future. The Jetsons age is here and now.

I have a question for more of you seasoned board members when it comes to sealed bids and opening them during the meeting, Before, covid, bids were opened during the meeting, read, reviewed and sometimes voted on at the meeting.

Is it legal and kosher to after the PM opens the bids, reads them on the record, then make a motion to review the bids via email and vote to approve after the meeting? IF we had to wait, i would be 3 months or longer to approve a bid.

I have a meeting in two weeks with a board to discuss roofing and paving. The average length of the three roofing bids is 24 pages, while the paving is 10 pages long. Who and when does the 102 pages of bids put into the record as you describe?
LetA
(Nevada)

06/08/2021 11:44 AM  
Posted By MaxB4 on 06/07/2021 4:01 PM
Posted By LetA on 06/07/2021 3:34 PM

I have a meeting in two weeks with a board to discuss roofing and paving. The average length of the three roofing bids is 24 pages, while the paving is 10 pages long. Who and when does the 102 pages of bids put into the record as you describe?

Nobody reads all the pages into the record, typically name of company and product, service and price.
MaxB4
(Maine)

06/08/2021 1:21 PM  
So when do the board read them and then discuss. why not give them the info ahead of time to be prepared to discuss.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA management company with no office

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement