Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 15, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: New community pool questions
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DavidG45
(Delaware)

06/04/2021 5:05 AM  
I am on the board of a three-year old HOA in a new community that currently has about 400 homes. Our developer (finally) has completed the clubhouse and swimming pool, which were opened a week ago.

I have questions about standard practices for maintaining the pool and deck area. Currently we have a cleaning company come out three days a week to vacuum the pool, check the chemicals, clean the skimmers, etc. However, that still seems to me to leave a lot of things undone. For instance:

* Emptying the trash cans
* Cleaning up any trash that people may have left (or a spilled bag of Doritos)
* Closing the umbrellas so they don't get blown over if a windstorm comes through

Heck, if some kid vomits on the deck we don't have a janitor who would come out to clean it up.

I'm curious how these little things are maintained at most HOA pools. I've asked our property manager, but they don't know anything (which is a separate story) so I get my best information on this forum.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/04/2021 5:29 AM  
Maintaining the pool itself isn't the same as conventional cleanup like you described, so what you need is some sort of housekeeping or janitorial service that could do do this stuff for you. You could have them come to the pool before or after pool operating hours.

You haven't mentioned COVID - yes, I know things are opening up and everybody is tired of it, but you need to address it nonetheless. In addition to setting some rules regarding capacity, you'll have to address wiping down seats and whatever else people may touch while they're there.

You may want to contact your local parks department to see how they will handle this, along with the health department to see what they require. Then you can get bids from various companies, including the current company to, see what will work best for your community.
DavidG45
(Delaware)

06/04/2021 5:40 AM  
Thanks.

Thankfully all the silly "wiping down" of furniture restrictions have been lifted in Delaware, along with all other COVID restrictions other than advising people to maintain three-foot distancing. We did the opening under the advice of attorney with careful considering of all state regulations, so I don't have concerns about those areas.

I'm just curious how people keep things cleaned-up. I didn't know if a committee has volunteers who take turn, or if they spend the $$$ to have a daily janitorial crew take care of things.
LetA
(Nevada)

06/04/2021 5:52 AM  
Look for a pool cleaning company that offers janitorial services with pool servicing, there are plenty out there.
LetA
(Nevada)

06/04/2021 5:57 AM  
BTW, I failed to mention. Work with your landscapers. Ask them how much more it would cost to add trash removal to the duty list. Since the landscapers maintain the dog waste stations, for us it is a bonus
MaxB4
(Maine)

06/04/2021 8:36 AM  
I have to assume that with 400 homes you have a management company and you should have a PM assigned to you. Ask him/her, that is what they are trained to do.
DavidG45
(Delaware)

06/04/2021 9:11 AM  
I wish. We have a PM. But it's a girl who is only assigned three days a week, has no experience, and somehow even though it's a national company she has no support behind her.

Replacing our PM is an item on my to-do-list this summer.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

06/04/2021 9:26 AM  
Posted By DavidG45 on 06/04/2021 9:11 AM
I wish. We have a PM. But it's a girl who is only assigned three days a week, has no experience, and somehow even though it's a national company she has no support behind her.

Replacing our PM is an item on my to-do-list this summer.

If your association is employing children, you have bigger problems than lack of porter service.

I'm going to assume there is an adult woman assigned to your property. Who deserves some basic respect and courtesy.

National companies are exactly the ones who don't provide any support and hire people without HOA experience. That's how they can afford to charge those low management fees.

This isn't rocket science. You just need a porter service. Contact your board of directors, include some photos of the mess, and ask them to hire one.

(Another crazy concept - residents could also not leave their food and trash on the ground and I don't know... put it in a trash can? That would solve one problem.)

KerryL1
(California)

06/04/2021 9:51 AM  
Agree with tours. You need daily porter service at the pool for these custodial tasks. don't you have custodians who clean your clubhouse? If not, who does? Who lean the club and pool restrooms? Are they the same restrooms or separate?
DavidG45
(Delaware)

06/04/2021 9:54 AM  
We have a cleaning service for the clubhouse, but they only come once a week. I felt that during the summer months we need more and am simply looking to see what others do. I've not heard the term "porter service" before; that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks.
KerryL1
(California)

06/04/2021 3:46 PM  
Well, I don't know what they're called elsewhere. Porter is just a term used in our 20 y.o original documents.

Is the clubhouse restroom & pool restroom shared?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > New community pool questions

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement