Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, December 09, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Restricting Pool Access Because We Have Too Many Gate Stickers
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CatherineL3
(Georgia)

06/02/2021 11:05 AM  
In this gated community, the HOA has decided to limit each home to 6 gate access stickers. This is not a written rule that they can present to us. We have 5 cars (teenagers live in the home), and the 6th sticker went to his elderly parents because they can't work the call box at the gate and visit often. They have just switched the pool gate access from a key, to a fob only access. When we requested a fob for access to the pool, we are told we have to give up one of the car stickers. Can they do this? They are simply refusing to give us a fob for the pool unless we comply.
LetA
(Nevada)

06/02/2021 11:49 AM  
Were you issued one fob to the pool when the access was changed? I don't see how pool access is tied to parking permits, unless you are trying to get more than one fob to the pool. In that case each owner should be issued one fob per household to the pool. On that note, HOA's have CC&R's and Rules and Regs R&R's Rules and regs can be voted on by the Board, but the R7R's can not be harsher than whats in your CC&R's.
AugustinD

06/02/2021 12:45 PM  
Posted By CatherineL3 on 06/02/2021 11:05 AM
In this gated community, the HOA has decided to limit each home to 6 gate access stickers. This is not a written rule that they can present to us. We have 5 cars (teenagers live in the home),
Multiple cars for multiple teenagers under one roof is the first problem. Pretty soon they may be multiplying in the cars. (joke, in part)
and the 6th sticker went to his elderly parents because they can't work the call box at the gate and visit often. They have just switched the pool gate access from a key, to a fob only access. When we requested a fob for access to the pool, we are told we have to give up one of the car stickers. Can they do this? They are simply refusing to give us a fob for the pool unless we comply.
-- First, the HOA/COA has the right to create reasonable rules for the use of the common areas.

-- Second, is a limit of six total pool fobs and gate access stickers reasonable? I tell you, if this went to court and I were the judge, with 25 years of COA/HOA living experience under my belt, including ten years on the board, I'd say yup, this limit is reasonable; I rule for the HOA/COA.
KerryL1
(California)

06/02/2021 1:19 PM  
Catherine wrote: "In this gated community, the HOA has decided to limit each home to 6 gate access stickers. This is not a written rule that they can present to us."

If this isn't a" written rule," how do residents know about this limit?

Have you looked at your governing documents like your Rules & Regs or your Deed restriction (AKA covenants, CC&Rs, declaration ) to see if the HOA (by which you mean the board of directors) can limit access stickers for cars to a certain number?

Is there anything in your documents that limit the number of people who can dwell in a unit?

Do your documents say that all residents in "good standing" have access to the pool or common area amenities in general? If so, are you in good standing? Up to date in dues? No outstanding fines?

Too much missing for me to fully understand the situation.

Based on what you did write, Catherine, my first impression is the HOA has no right to keep your household from the pool, or to limit the number of car stickers a dwelling can have. Need more info, though, defiantly.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/02/2021 7:17 PM  
Posted By CatherineL3 on 06/02/2021 11:05 AM
In this gated community, the HOA has decided to limit each home to 6 gate access stickers. This is not a written rule that they can present to us. We have 5 cars (teenagers live in the home), and the 6th sticker went to his elderly parents because they can't work the call box at the gate and visit often. They have just switched the pool gate access from a key, to a fob only access. When we requested a fob for access to the pool, we are told we have to give up one of the car stickers. Can they do this? They are simply refusing to give us a fob for the pool unless we comply.

I do not see the correlation between amount of gate access stickers and pool fobs? Please explain more and/or ask the BOD about the correlation.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

06/03/2021 9:09 AM  
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the pool gate and the access gates use the same software and there is a fixed number of programmable slots available.

You should ask the board why they have made their decision.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Restricting Pool Access Because We Have Too Many Gate Stickers

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement