Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, September 26, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Need some clarification
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LetA
(Nevada)

05/24/2021 9:57 AM  
Need some clarification on those RFID fob locks.

For those of you that have electronic locks, how well do they work and do they work as I envision?

I envision a system where each FOB has a unique serial number that is assigned to each key holder. I envision this system to be sophisticated enough to tell if the door the system is connected to has been closed all the way and send an audible alarm and a silent alert that the door is open. This system should keep a log of what key holder opens and closes the door, and through process of elimination, one can easily determine who did not close the door.

Does this system exist or is it just a pipe dream?
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

05/24/2021 10:49 AM  
Posted By LetA on 05/24/2021 9:57 AM
Need some clarification on those RFID fob locks.

For those of you that have electronic locks, how well do they work and do they work as I envision?

I envision a system where each FOB has a unique serial number that is assigned to each key holder. I envision this system to be sophisticated enough to tell if the door the system is connected to has been closed all the way and send an audible alarm and a silent alert that the door is open. This system should keep a log of what key holder opens and closes the door, and through process of elimination, one can easily determine who did not close the door.

Does this system exist or is it just a pipe dream?

What you envision is a typical, fob-based, entrance system that is programmed and maintained through a cloud-based/Internet-connected connection that allows full control of access on a per-fob basis as well as general entrance and exit reports.

Yes, they exist. A security company or sophisticated locksmith shop would be your lead source of information.

Our community uses this type system for our clubhouse and pool gate access. That said, if you must track who's leaving the gate open or propping it open, you'd need to pair with an internet-based camera system to match a visual ID to the actual fob being triggered.

This is VERY doable. We don't have the camera option but were pitched it. The fob system works very well as it's unique to each household. Limit the number of active fobs per household and you'll control a lot of unauthorized access.
LetA
(Nevada)

05/24/2021 12:04 PM  
Thank You Kelly, according to my PM he just tells me these systems are worthless and no better than a brass key. He goes on to mention how a few of his other properties have these and they do no good.
i am under the impression that he don't know how to use them or structure the system to utilize the system benefits.. The way I envision, magnetic locks can be used to set what time the gates can be entered eliminating the need for guard patrol to padlock the gates at night, nor would they need to be padlocked at the end of season. I feel fobs can be tailored to allow a few master fobs for PM, BOD's, security and pool cleaner unfettered access and disallow others at certain periods of time..

I guess I need to tell my PM in a polite way he's full of "IT" and no I don't mean Pennywise.
KerryL1
(California)

05/24/2021 2:35 PM  
Our situation is about the same as Kelly's. We limit the # of fobs per unit. Deactivate them when folks move out; lock the pool & gym access at midnight. We have deactivated pool & gym access as a way of withholding privileges for rules violations.

But, you need to sell it to the Board, which you're on, not your PM. Imagine it's pretty easy to look these systems up online. Place on a open board meeting agenda that you seek authorization to research systems for your HOA to bring to the Board for its consideration.
LetA
(Nevada)

05/24/2021 4:10 PM  
I suppose a FOB activated system is no more valuable than a brass key system when you treat the FOB system like a brass key lockset.

I get the impression from our PM that they are just lazy and don't want to invest the time and energy to utilize the systems full potential. And the lazy work it will take to mail a warning letter to the last person to scan the fob lock warning them they need to make sure they close the gate behind them.. It is all about wanting to do their job, or not wanting.
MaxB4

05/24/2021 4:16 PM  
Posted By LetA on 05/24/2021 4:10 PM
I suppose a FOB activated system is no more valuable than a brass key system when you treat the FOB system like a brass key lockset.

I get the impression from our PM that they are just lazy and don't want to invest the time and energy to utilize the systems full potential. And the lazy work it will take to mail a warning letter to the last person to scan the fob lock warning them they need to make sure they close the gate behind them.. It is all about wanting to do their job, or not wanting.

A solution would be for the board to step up and run the system. How hard can it really be, right?
KerryL1
(California)

05/24/2021 4:28 PM  
LetA, as a board member does the rest of the board support your HOA having such a system?? It's not the PM's decision to make.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Need some clarification

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement