Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: fire hydrants in a residents yard
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CarolK10
(California)

05/18/2021 2:09 PM  
We have a resident who has a fire hydrant in her front yard that is covered in brush, flowers., et. My question is can a board member tell a resident they must cut the brush around their fire hydrant to meet the city fire code. There is nothing in our CCRs that states the Board has authority to cite her if she does not comply. We live in California in an area prone to fires. How do you suggest we deal with this issue. CarolK10
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

05/18/2021 2:11 PM  
I would suggest "Hi neighbor! I noticed the fire hydrant in your yard is getting covered up by brush. Do you need help getting that trimmed?"
CarolK10
(California)

05/18/2021 2:14 PM  
We tried that and it didn't work so we sent her an letter of violation for corrective action. She said it was not the Board preview to do that.
BillH10
(Texas)

05/18/2021 2:21 PM  
What does the fire department have to say about the matter?

You should always look to a higher authority to address an issue before expending Association time and resources.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/18/2021 2:57 PM  
This doesn't sound like an HOA issue. It sounds like the extent of it being an HOA issue is that the HOA calls the fire Marshall. That is what I would do to settle the matter. To be honest they may not care as long as they can get their hoses plugged in. I believe they are not even responsible for any damages they do if they do connect. So this person is just setting themselves up to have their property damaged.

There are pictures of people parking in front of hydrants and hoses going through them. The fireman will bash the windows out and pull the hose through. Which from what I understand they don't have to pay the car's owner for the damages. Fire Hydrants are kind of like mail boxes. They have their own set of laws of enforcement. Which isn't on the HOA.

Former HOA President
CarolK10
(California)

05/18/2021 3:33 PM  
thanks, I agree the best action is to call the fire marshall.
ND
(PA)

05/19/2021 8:51 AM  
Posted By BillH10 on 05/18/2021 2:21 PM
What does the fire department have to say about the matter?

You should always look to a higher authority to address an issue before expending Association time and resources.

This is good advice. . .

Contact the fire dept, city codes office/er, etc. in regard to a fire hydrant area/easement that is potentially being improperly maintained. Let them investigate and then reach out to the homeowner for fixing the situation. It is in everyone's best interest that fire hydrants and surrounding areas are maintained properly.

I also found this online quickly that links to an National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Fire Code. I'm sure there are plenty of other references to similar situations:

https://www.nfpa.org/news-and-research/publications-and-media/blogs-landing-page/nfpa-today/blog-posts/2017/01/13/nfpa-1-clearance-around-fire-hydrants-firecodefridays
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > fire hydrants in a residents yard

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement