Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, November 29, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: pre-existing parking space
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BrendaM8
(Florida)

05/17/2021 6:16 AM  
I bought a mobile home in a 55+ community about three years ago. the home has a covered paved driveway and a gravel parking spot on the side street of the home. This gravel parking spot has been here for 44+ years. There has never been an issue of the gravel parking spot until a couple of months ago. The property manager wrote a complaint out that we were parking in a non-designated area on the grass and in front of our home. the space is definitely not grass and definitely not in front of our home. I contacted the district manager about the issue and she sided with the property manager. I talked with a lawyer and he talked with the district manager. He was told it was an HOA issue. Therefore, I talked to the president of our HOA. I was informed that the HOA was not aware of the problem and that they did not have a problem with the parking space. He researched the issue. On our second meeting I was informed that the local HOA has no problem with us keeping the parking space as is and have it grandfathered in but the issue is with the state HOA. Does anyone know what my next step should be.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/17/2021 6:19 AM  
I am confused. Did A HOA give you this notice? This seems like the city. I have never heard of a state HOA. That makes no sense.

Former HOA President
BrendaM8
(Florida)

05/17/2021 7:23 AM  
It was the property manager that is sending the letters. I live in the state of Florida and it was the local HOA president that told me that it was the state HOA that I would need to deal with.
LetA
(Nevada)

05/17/2021 7:29 AM  
Who is sending you the letters? The HOA property manage or your local jurisdiction? You mention state HOA ????
If the letter is coming from the property manager, you board president needs to DIRECT the property manager to cease bothering you on this issue.
BrendaM8
(Florida)

05/18/2021 5:22 PM  
The property manager for the community is sending me the letters. She is not a member of the HOA. She works directly for the property owner. My lawyer addressed the issue with the district manager for the property owners and was informed that it was an HOA issue. Therefore, I contacted the HOA president for our community. He informed me that as far as they were concerned there was no issue for the parking area especially since it has been there for over 44 years. He stated that he would talk with the district manager and expected her on the property last Saturday. When I talked with the HOA president on Sunday, he stated that the district manager did not show up so he did not talk with her. He did state that he researched the issue and that is when he stated that the local HOA did not have a problem about the issue but that the state HOA was the issue because the property manager is pushing the issue. I never heard of a state HOA, It is possible he is referring to state bylaws regulating general guidelines. I am really quite confused and trying to find out the next best step to preserve this parking space.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/18/2021 7:39 PM  
There is no such thing as a "State HOA". It sounds like your dealing with the property management the HOA hired to assist them. Which sometimes those lines get blurred. Property Managers can sometimes think/feel they are running the place. Instead they are HIRED contractors to the HOA. I suspect this property manager is the one assigned to your HOA as they may handle several.

It may be the President is going to have to talk to the Property Management at a "higher" level. Explain that their employee over the HOA is sending unnecessary or requested letters. Usually the HOA would have been been the one requesting the PM send the violation letter.

FYI: I had 3 vehicles and a 2 car garage. I would often park my Truck beside my garage where there used to be some gravel. It had been there for years and no one ever complained. Next thing I know there is a violation warning on my front door. It is from the city informing me that you can NOT park on the grass. It has to have pavement under the tires. So I had to play "musical" cars everyday. That way 1 was in the driveway and 2 in the garage. I wasn't able to extend/widen my driveway due to some trees. I don't even live in a HOA. Plus in the back of a neighborhood with little traffic. It appears my neighbor was having his house up for sale. I believe the realtor reported it so could get the house sold.

Former HOA President
TimB4
(Tennessee)

05/19/2021 3:14 AM  
Posted By BrendaM8 on 05/17/2021 6:16 AM
He researched the issue. On our second meeting I was informed that the local HOA has no problem with us keeping the parking space as is and have it grandfathered in but the issue is with the state HOA. Does anyone know what my next step should be.

Get it in writing.
BrendaM8
(Florida)

05/19/2021 6:07 AM  
Makes sense, thank you. And yes, I will get it in writing.
BrendaM8
(Florida)

05/19/2021 8:52 PM  
Thank you so much for your insight. Thing are starting to fall into place for me.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > pre-existing parking space

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement