Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Mowing lawn and noise disturbance
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RobertW31
(New York)

05/14/2021 11:09 AM  
We have a resident witha large yard and he mows it himself even though we have a mowing service. He takes pride in his lawn and is out there almost everyday. One of the neighbors has complained about the noise. She thinks he should not mow after 6 PM but he works. I tried to suggest that he would only mow the back area of his lawn at certain times and he could mow on the side of the house at other times which would block a lot of the noise.
We have some rules in general but not specific and normally we would not consider mowing a lawn a disturbance. I think it may be the frequency that she hears it from inside her house. He doesn’t mow if anyone is outside on their decks or patios.

The board is going to review the issue and I was wondering if anyone has any rules they could suggest.
LetA
(Nevada)

05/14/2021 11:30 AM  
I feel there is not much your board can do. What is your town's local ordinances say about noise and nuisances? Typical noise ordinances are usually 6-7am to 9-10 pm, and Sundays I was raised not to run the mower until after 12 noon. I too get the feeling the person complaining is upset with the frequency of the mower being use. With that said, there is probably little to nothing you can do.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

05/14/2021 1:16 PM  
Posted By LetA on 05/14/2021 11:30 AM
I feel there is not much your board can do. What is your town's local ordinances say about noise and nuisances? Typical noise ordinances are usually 6-7am to 9-10 pm, and Sundays I was raised not to run the mower until after 12 noon. I too get the feeling the person complaining is upset with the frequency of the mower being use. With that said, there is probably little to nothing you can do.

I agree.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

05/14/2021 7:13 PM  
I concur with the others - unless you get other complaints, there's not much the board can do. If this lady is concerned, she really should talk to the neighbor and work this out herself. Sometimes, people prefer letting the board do their dirty work, which isn't good either - adults should be able to talk and work things out.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/14/2021 8:44 PM  
I have complete empathy for this neighbor on lawn mowing/care noise. Used to work 3rd shift. Come home to sleep and nothing but lawncare outside through out the day. It drove me crazy. I tried EVERYTHING to drown out the noise. My neighbors will even mow in the RAIN!!! BTW: I did find a noise machine that made wave or storm noises only thing worked the best. Earplugs were not as helpful as you would think.

Our HOA had rules of work only between 8 to 5 pm. Meaning contractors including lawncare could only come work during those hours unless emergency. May want to set a similar policy. Explain that due to various work hours of members, that noise levels need to be kept low after 6 pm.

Not much can really do to enforce IMO. Just kind of put it out there that noise levels of work should not carry over after certain hours.

Former HOA President
MaxB4
(California)

05/14/2021 9:37 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 05/14/2021 8:44 PM
I have complete empathy for this neighbor on lawn mowing/care noise. Used to work 3rd shift. Come home to sleep and nothing but lawncare outside through out the day. It drove me crazy. I tried EVERYTHING to drown out the noise. My neighbors will even mow in the RAIN!!! BTW: I did find a noise machine that made wave or storm noises only thing worked the best. Earplugs were not as helpful as you would think.

Our HOA had rules of work only between 8 to 5 pm. Meaning contractors including lawncare could only come work during those hours unless emergency. May want to set a similar policy. Explain that due to various work hours of members, that noise levels need to be kept low after 6 pm.

Not much can really do to enforce IMO. Just kind of put it out there that noise levels of work should not carry over after certain hours.

Homeowner mowing the lawn is not, I repeat, not a contractor, thus not subject to your rule.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/15/2021 12:00 AM  
Max it is time someone tells you to shove It. Noise is noise. Whether contractor or not, we have a rule of no work after a certain time like 5 or 6 so to respect others.

Former HOA President
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

05/15/2021 6:42 AM  
This is a conflict between neighbors and not an issue for the board. Even if you have a noise rule, mowing is a common household activity and 6pm is far too early for “quiet hours”. Good grief, the sun hasn’t even set yet at this time of year!

This whole discussion reminds me of the most amusing complaint I’ve ever received in my career - a woman called me because her neighbor mowed his lawn every week - shirtless. He was out of shape and she found looking at his beer belly disgusting.

I suggested she not look.

Mowing at 6pm might be annoying but living in an HOA is not a guarantee that your neighbors will never annoy you.
AugustinD

05/15/2021 6:53 AM  
Posted By BarbaraT1 on 05/15/2021 6:42 AM
This whole discussion reminds me of the most amusing complaint I’ve ever received in my career - a woman called me because her neighbor mowed his lawn every week - shirtless. He was out of shape and she found looking at his beer belly disgusting.
Heh. One of my former condos once put a notice in the newsletter asking that folks not put their trash receptacles on the curb, for the weekly trash pickup, attired in their bathrobes and bedroom slippers.

I agree with LetA and others posting similar.
LetA
(Nevada)

05/15/2021 11:00 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 05/15/2021 6:53 AM
Posted By BarbaraT1 on 05/15/2021 6:42 AM
Heh. One of my former condos once put a notice in the newsletter asking that folks not put their trash receptacles on the curb, for the weekly trash pickup, attired in their bathrobes and bedroom slippers.

I agree with LetA and others posting similar.

I too would suggest they not look. I can't tell you the number of times I took out the trash to the curb in my Pj's and slippers.
MaxB4
(California)

05/15/2021 11:06 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 05/15/2021 12:00 AM
Max it is time someone tells you to shove It.

That works both way dearie
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Mowing lawn and noise disturbance

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement