Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Color Palettes
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ToddB12
(Louisiana)

05/13/2021 9:00 AM  
I recently received a notice of violation that a color for my door was out of compliance. The liaison sent me a black and white preapproved exterior paint palette then included “these aren’t the only colors that can be approved.” When looking at doors throughout our neighborhood, 40% of door colors are “out of compliance” with palette I was given. No one knows what these other colors consist of; can’t this be arbitrary? More importantly dont i have a argument for selective enforcement considering all the other colors outside of the HOA pallets? Thank you
BillH10
(Texas)

05/13/2021 9:14 AM  
Why don't you ask what other colors have been approved you may use?

If your door is not a color on the palette, and was not approved as a variation, your door is not in compliance.

All the variations you see may have been approved and are therefore compliant.
ToddB12
(Louisiana)

05/13/2021 10:58 AM  
I really appreciate your reply. We have asked for the other colors and they don’t have anything “written down.” Understanding compliance on colors outside of the approved pallet, why approve those colors opposed to mine. “Not on the pallet” is not on the pallet therefore, in my opinion, they are “selecting” when to enforce their rules.

I know in emails/text things can come across the wrong way and I promise that will never be the case bc I sincerely appreciate you answering my questions. Thats my disclaimer.

The other argument I have is they violated a by-law by taking 16 days to approve our color which means “approved thereof.” They HOA is still arguing. And as you probably can tell, there is a lot of water under the bridge. 90% of it is because of someone who doesn’t even live in the subdivision, the property manager
BillH10
(Texas)

05/13/2021 1:42 PM  
Todd, that's too bad.

They should be able to hand you a list of standard colors and variances which have been approved, you obviously know that.

Sounds like it is time for a new management company. The property manager does not make the decisions, the Board does.

Good luck.
ToddB12
(Louisiana)

05/13/2021 2:21 PM  
Well, I agree with you. The approved pallet they dis give me was in black and white and they told me to “look it up.”
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/13/2021 2:51 PM  
Usually you apply for permission to paint and they give you the color pallet to choose from. Which is the process for exterior changes in a HOA. Just because others may have different colors doesn't mean it is arbitrary. It may mean they did not apply for permission/approval either. Plus the HOA may be trying to correct all those previous issues. That happens when people are on wrong page.

Plus paint tends to change over time. It depends if it is in the light or not. Which will bleach the color. Once that happens the HOA will contact the owner to have them paint.

Simply apologize and pick out a new color. It's not worth the battle.

Former HOA President
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

05/14/2021 9:43 AM  
As Melissa said:
Simply apologize and pick out a new color. It's not worth the battle.
I agree.
BillH10
(Texas)

05/14/2021 2:46 PM  
Todd, I too agree with Melissa and John. Find the path of least resistance and stress and follow it.
WilliamC21
(New Jersey)

05/17/2021 7:24 AM  
I would paint it black or white, in accordance with the info supplied.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement