Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, December 09, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Condo trust document question
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
StanleyS4
(Massachusetts)

05/03/2021 7:17 AM  
Good Morning

I am part of a 2 unit townhouse condo trust. I have discovered that the other owner is making structural changes to an inside wall, one that may be weight bearing. the trust document, separate from master deed, states no structural changes, additions, or modifications can be made without written consent by the trustees. he is 1 and I am the other.

my question is really guidance if there is any on how to proceed?

Is the document solid if I were to hire a lawyer?

Anyone have an experience similar?

Thank you very much for any thoughts you may have.
TimB4
(Tennessee)

05/03/2021 8:14 AM  
Contact the local permit office and let them know that you believe the unit next door is changing supporting walls without permits.

They will investigate.
StanleyS4
(Massachusetts)

05/03/2021 8:35 AM  
Tim,

Thanks for reply. that's a thought but I am more interested in the view from the condo trust document and how enforceable it is and is the only way lawyer involvement?
CathyA3
(Ohio)

05/03/2021 9:02 AM  
Prohibitions on structural changes in a condo community are very common. It's also common to have language saying that owners may not do anything that affects the insurance status of the common area, which this almost certainly would do.

I'm not a lawyer and haven't read the trust document, but I'll go out on a limb and say it's solid. I'd do what Tim suggests and start with the local permit office.
TimB4
(Tennessee)

05/03/2021 5:55 PM  
Stanley,

For quick action - make a complaint to the permitting office. They have authority to stop the work immediately.

Regarding Associations, I suspect that your documents, like most Associations, specify that the Association (or any owner) may enforce the covenants through the courts. Combining the fact that someone may have already spent money on some major renovations, it's likely (and I would certainly recommend) that the Association will need to involve an attorney. Initially to get the owners attention and for legal action if the owner doesn't want to comply.
StanleyS4
(Massachusetts)

05/04/2021 3:38 AM  
Thank you all for assistance. I probably will check with building inspector although I know they have some limits on entering a property.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Condo trust document question

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement