Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, May 15, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Inaccurate minutes
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SashaE1

04/23/2021 11:38 PM  
The property manager refuses to make changes to the minutes that are not accurate. She posts them on the property management website as “Draft” minutes for all homeowners to read but they are not accurate. Since the Board didn’t approve them she says well then I have to post them as a “Draft”. The Board has no control as they control the access to posting these mi tues to the homeowners and it’s making the Board look bad. How do we ensure the property manager puts the correct minutes up not her Draft version when she doesn’t want to correct them? Complaining to the supervisor will not help as they are worse than her. Of course we will be dumping this company but for now how do I make sure homeowners are getting the right minutes?
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/24/2021 12:45 AM  
Obviously there is a failure to communicate between the board and the MC/PM.

The board needs to have a serious discussion with the MC and the PM.
Prior to that meeting, the board needs to read and understand the contract they have with the MC.

If the contract allows and the PM continues to refuse to amend the minutes, then the Board should terminate for cause.

BTW- Why isn't the Secretary taking and drafting the minutes?
AugustinD

04/24/2021 6:28 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 04/24/2021 12:45 AM
Prior to that meeting, the board needs to read and understand the contract they have with the MC.

If the contract allows and the PM continues to refuse to amend the minutes, then the Board should terminate for cause.

BTW- Why isn't the Secretary taking and drafting the minutes?
Spot on.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

04/24/2021 7:48 AM  
I agree with Tim and augustin.

I often see people complain about their property manager and it's always interesting to me that board's are PAYING the property manager to handle the day to day and then sit there and allow him or her to take over the duties of the board itself. Do you not realize that he or she who has the gold rules?

I know some associations have the property manager take minutez, but I don't understand the lack of oversight. You were at the meeting and should keep track of what was discussed and voted upon. That's what board members are supposed to do. If you have offers who can't or won't do their job - such as the secretary who isn't taking minutes, why are you there?

By the what's inaccurate about the minutes? If you've read other discussions on this website, you know they're not supposed to be a note for note recap of who said what. They should reflect the start and end time s, meeting date, who was there, what was discussed and the results of any votes. There are templates around the web and in word that can give you guidance on how this is supposed to be done.

By the way, the property manager is correct that the minutes don't become official until the board reviews them and make corrections or clarifications. That's done with a formal motion and vote at the next meeting where the minutes are supposed to be read At that time.

The property manager isn't making the board look bad - if you're a member, you and your colleagues are doing that yourselves. Get your stuff together and start doing your jobs!
Review these minutes at the next meeting, make the changes, vote to approve or approve with corrections. Tell the property manager from now on, the board secretary will take the minutes - the most the property manager should do is distribute copies to the board before the meeting so the can be read and then discussed. Afterwards, the property manager can file the minutes with the rest (at least that's how we do it - and all board members with of on the minutes)

Make sure the secretary knows what's expected - if he or she can't or won't do the job, appoint another one. Or rotate the minute taking among the members - actually that would be a good way for the rest of you to learn how to do the job correctly.
AugustinD

04/24/2021 7:57 AM  
Re SheliaH's post: Another spot on post, as far as I am concerned. Good detail.
MarkM19
(Texas)

04/24/2021 7:58 AM  
Sheila,
You are absolutely correct in your Post. The only thing I will add is that the board needs to remind the PM and PMC who they work for and it is not each other. They are hired and directed by the HOA board and they take direction from the board.

I am not a fan of posting Draft Minutes. Our board rarely makes changes to the proposed minutes at the next board meeting but when there are changes they can be important ones like removing names of HOs or too much information. Once it is out in the public eye it can not be erased.
MaxB4
(Maine)

04/24/2021 9:23 AM  
I am curious as to what the poster found was inaccurate?
MaxB4
(Maine)

04/24/2021 9:34 AM  
I don't know of any manager or management company that likes doing minutes. Minutes are to protect the HOA, not the MC, in their business dealings. If there are issues with the accurancy of the minutes, why doesn't the Board assign someone to take minutes or hire a third party?
KerryL1
(California)

04/24/2021 10:08 AM  
Your'e in CA, Sasha? Draft minutes in CA need to be available to owners 30 days after the meeting. But they do not need to be posted.

Isn't the Board approving minutes at the next meeting? Are open meeting every month?

With others, the Board needs to do its job and direct the PM.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/24/2021 1:14 PM  
Along the lines of what Shelia said. Many people want the minutes to be word for word what was discussed and this is not what they are. Primarily all the minutes have to have is Motions Made and the result. They do not even have to list what subjects were discussed though many will but without editorializing them. Such as Buying New Pool Furniture Discussed. No action taken.

BOD's get in trouble when they editorialize things as quite often the writer will let their personal bias creep in like Buying New Expensive New Pool Furniture Discussed. No actions taken.

Another example is someone asked the BOD if a dues increase is planned. The BOD replied nothing is planned but who knows what is in the future. It come out in the Minutes as Future Dues Increase Not Discounted. This will make for phone calls and Emails.

If you want to know what happened and/or what was said, go to the meeting. Do not depend on them bringing the information to you.

Most minutes do not need to be more than one or two pages unless a lot of things were Motioned.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/24/2021 1:15 PM  
Posted By MaxB4 on 04/24/2021 9:34 AM
I don't know of any manager or management company that likes doing minutes. Minutes are to protect the HOA, not the MC, in their business dealings. If there are issues with the accurancy of the minutes, why doesn't the Board assign someone to take minutes or hire a third party?

Well said.
GeorgeR8
(Arizona)

04/25/2021 6:56 AM  
Any HOA attorney will tell you that discussion is NEVER entered in the minutes. Minutes are the official record of action taken by the Board. Nothing else belongs. Always keep it vague.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Inaccurate minutes

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement