Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, December 09, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Fines
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LindaM36
(Florida)

04/19/2021 9:08 PM  
Can an HOA fine you for something that is NOT in the bylaws or covenants?
TimB4
(Tennessee)

04/19/2021 9:17 PM  
Short answer - possibly.

Longer answer - It depends on where or what the violation is.

The Board may adopt rules to govern common areas. These rules would not be in the covenants or bylaws.
So if the violation was a rule governing common areas, the answer would be yes.

I haven't checked FL statutes for awhile. Therefore, I don't recall if monetary penalties (fines) are allowed or if they must specifically be mentioned in the covenants or rules to be enforceable. You should check the applicable property statute for your development.

AugustinD

04/20/2021 7:05 AM  
Posted By LindaM36 on 04/19/2021 9:08 PM
Can an HOA fine you for something that is NOT in the bylaws or covenants?
Like TimB4 is getting at: It depends. If you answer the following questions, this will help others help you:

-- Is this a condominium or not a condominium?

-- Is this community subject to FS 718 or FS 720?

-- Please describe the violation for which the HOA/condo has alleged and fined the Owner/resident.

-- Please look at the Bylaws and CC&Rs and see if there is a related bylaw or CC&R. Then post it here.
AugustinD

04/20/2021 7:21 AM  
FS 718 (for condos) on fines:
"The association may levy reasonable fines for the failure of the owner of the unit or its occupant, licensee, or invitee to comply with any provision of the declaration, the association bylaws, or reasonable rules of the association. A fine may not become a lien against a unit. A fine may be levied by the board on the basis of each day of a continuing violation, with a single notice and opportunity for hearing before a committee as provided in paragraph (b). However, the fine may not exceed $100 per violation, or $1,000 in the aggregate."

FS 720 (for non-condos) on fines:
"The association may levy reasonable fines. A fine may not exceed $100 per violation against any member or any member’s tenant, guest, or invitee for the failure of the owner of the parcel or its occupant, licensee, or invitee to comply with any provision of the declaration, the association bylaws, or reasonable rules of the association unless otherwise provided in the governing documents. A fine may be levied by the board for each day of a continuing violation, with a single notice and opportunity for hearing, except that the fine may not exceed $1,000 in the aggregate unless otherwise provided in the governing documents. A fine of less than $1,000 may not become a lien against a parcel. In any action to recover a fine, the prevailing party is entitled to reasonable attorney fees and costs from the nonprevailing party as determined by the court."

General note:
A fine is only reasonable if the violation reasonably derives from the HOA's/condo's Declaration or Bylaws or state or federal law (notably, Fair Housing law). The rules must likewise derive from the Declaration or Bylaws.
LindaM36
(Florida)

04/20/2021 9:03 AM  
Can the HOA put a lien on my property for a $1000 fine?
AugustinD

04/20/2021 9:07 AM  
LindaM36, please answer the questions. Else it's impossible to comment intelligently on whether what your HOA is doing is lawful.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

04/20/2021 9:09 AM  
Posted By LindaM36 on 04/20/2021 9:03 AM

Unless the law or your governing documents say otherwise, they can lien your property for any amount that you owe. Whether or not it makes financial sense for them to do so is a different question.
TimB4
(Tennessee)

04/20/2021 3:08 PM  
Posted By LindaM36 on 04/20/2021 9:03 AM

Honestly, it's possible.

It will depend on your governing documents.

I've seen Associations apply assessment payments to monetary penalties first and then toward assessments. If this is the case within your Association, the answer would be yes but in a round about way.

Example:

Assessment $500 month
Monetary penalty (fine) $1,000

Apr 1 - assessment due - $500
Apr 2 - Fine assessed - $1,000
Balance - $1,500
Apr 5 - payment - $500 (applied to fine)
May 1 - Assessment due - $500
May 5 - payment $500 (applied to fine)
Jun 1 - Assessment due - $500
Jun 5 - Payment - $500
Balance - $1,000 (past due assessments as fine was paid off)
Lien filed for past due assessments

MalakA
(Virginia)

04/24/2021 6:09 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 04/19/2021 9:17 PM
Short answer - possibly.

The Board may adopt rules to govern common areas. These rules would not be in the covenants or bylaws.

I haven't checked FL statutes for awhile. Therefore, I don't recall if monetary penalties (fines) are allowed or if they must specifically be mentioned in the covenants or rules to be enforceable. You should check the applicable property statute for your development.

This just makes me ask the question too: what is truly a common area? How is that legally defined?
CathyA3
(Ohio)

04/25/2021 4:44 AM  
Posted By MalakA on 04/24/2021 6:09 PM
Posted By TimB4 on 04/19/2021 9:17 PM
Short answer - possibly.

This just makes me ask the question too: what is truly a common area? How is that legally defined?

Look in your covenants and restrictions - there should be a definition of what is common.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/25/2021 11:07 AM  
Linda

What is the association fining you for?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/25/2021 11:07 AM  
Linda

What is the association fining you for?
LetA
(Nevada)

04/25/2021 4:49 PM  
Linda, did you attend the hearing your HOA summoned you to? Did you read any mailed correspondences your HOA sent you via USPS? They should have sent you something registered mail to get your attention.
LindaM36
(Florida)

04/25/2021 8:29 PM  
The HOA stated at a park meeting on Monday, April 19 that residents that live on the fenceline have until May 1 to clear the fenceline of any obstacles to the new fence being installed. Fines of $25 per day begins May 2. First of all, it is not in writing. Second of all, according to the law, I have 14 days to appeal it but no indication as to when that 14 days start. Is it 14 days from the date they notify that I am being fined or 14 days after the date they told us about it?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/26/2021 7:01 AM  
Posted By LindaM36 on 04/25/2021 8:29 PM
The HOA stated at a park meeting on Monday, April 19 that residents that live on the fenceline have until May 1 to clear the fenceline of any obstacles to the new fence being installed. Fines of $25 per day begins May 2. First of all, it is not in writing. Second of all, according to the law, I have 14 days to appeal it but no indication as to when that 14 days start. Is it 14 days from the date they notify that I am being fined or 14 days after the date they told us about it?

Why are you objecting to clearing obstacles?
AugustinD

04/26/2021 7:31 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 04/26/2021 7:01 AM

Why are you objecting to clearing obstacles?
Ditto.

Sounds like the fence is a "common element," for which the HOA has maintenance responsibility. Covenants give the Board the right to make reasonable rules about the use of common elements and fine for violations of these rules. In Florida, see FS 720.305 for non-condo HOAs. Proper notice is needed, but it sounds like the HOA may be stuck with a time-sensitive situation. I think honorable owners should try to work with boards in these situations, recognizing all that is on the Board's plate and how a vendor here is involved and the vendor is a pretty busy entity itself. If the OP thinks the Board is being unreasonable, well I think the OP may be being unreasonable regarding moving the obstacles.
MarshallT
(New York)

05/03/2021 6:27 AM  
Hi Linda,

This does sound like a reasonable request considering the board doesn't have much time. Considering the circumstances, I believe that the HOA could issue fines to owners who do not try to accommodate the request.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement