Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, May 15, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Approval of Board Meeting Minutes
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
HaleyH
(Illinois)

04/08/2021 11:54 AM  
Our last Board Meeting Minutes were up for approval at the first Board meeting following the annual Membership Meeting.
At the annual Membership Meeting one of the prior Board Members was not voted in.
Does the Board have the "non-Board" member vote on the Board meeting minutes as he was a Board member at that time?
Two of the three Board members were re-elected. So the current Board would have two of three Board officers able to vote on the minutes (that were in attendance at the Board Meeting).

Thanks.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

04/08/2021 12:14 PM  
Posted By HaleyH on 04/08/2021 11:54 AM
Our last Board Meeting Minutes were up for approval at the first Board meeting following the annual Membership Meeting.
At the annual Membership Meeting one of the prior Board Members was not voted in.
Does the Board have the "non-Board" member vote on the Board meeting minutes as he was a Board member at that time?
Two of the three Board members were re-elected. So the current Board would have two of three Board officers able to vote on the minutes (that were in attendance at the Board Meeting).

Thanks.

No, current board members vote, the no-longer-on-the-board person has no authority to vote at the time the vote was being taken. If the new board member doesn't feel comfortable voting on this, he/she can abstain.

But it's an interesting question since it happens all the time, and I suppose it's possible to have some sort of quorum issues to make this a problem.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

04/08/2021 12:17 PM  
Since he was at the meeting, I don't see a problem - consider it his last official act before leaving the position and make sure he doesn't vote on anything else. That said, check your documents - they may state exactly when board member duties officially begin and that may indicate what you need to do.

To prevent stuff like this in the future, you could have the regular board meeting first to get the minutes approved, then the annual meeting for the elections. This way everyone starts fresh
AugustinD

04/08/2021 12:38 PM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 04/08/2021 12:14 PM
Posted By HaleyH on 04/08/2021 11:54 AM

No, current board members vote, the no-longer-on-the-board person has no authority to vote at the time the vote was being taken. If the new board member doesn't feel comfortable voting on this, he/she can abstain.
I agree with CathyA3. A few observations:

-- So far, I do not see that Robert's Rules treats this. Maybe for obvious reasons.

-- This scenario happens all the time when, for one, City Councils have a change in Councilors.

-- I see no other direction on the net other than to follow what the law or Bylaw says. The bylaw or law or Robert's Rules xyz edition usually says simply something like: Minutes shall be approved or disapproved at the meeting following the date of the meeting for which the minutes were recorded.

-- The prior directors can pretty much always chime in and say, "Hey, that's not quite the motion I made. The wordking should be... " The new directors can hear them out.

-- For minutes, I do not see quorum problems arising even when all the directors are new to the job.

-- If all directors are new and they all abstain, then I expect there would be good reason for this. Like the new directors do not like a motion passed at the last meeting. In the latter case, I think it legally best they formalize the overturning of the prior meeting's motion via a reconsideration vote and take other steps to ensure clarity on what motion is valid and what motion is not.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/08/2021 2:05 PM  
Haley

2 of 3 BOD Members is a Quorum and Motions can be made. Have them Make a Motion to Accept the Minutes. If 2 of 3 vote to accept, the Minutes are Accepted and done with. Stop the anguishing.
HaleyH
(Illinois)

04/08/2021 2:52 PM  
No anguishing here. The prior Board member had asked to make changes to the minutes even though his term as board member had ended. So I asked a question.
KerryL1
(California)

04/08/2021 4:20 PM  
If you think the prior board member's request has merit, you can put the minutes back on the agenda and the Board can decide whether to accept his amendment or not. If his amendment is not about something that must be in minutes, e.g., who attended, or the wording of a motion, do not bother with it.

The motion if a board member thinks it's worthwhile is to vote to rescind the decision to approve the minutes of xx/xx/xxx. If a majority is in favor, someone would make a motion that the minute be amended to say xxx. Then vote.

Pretty sure in Robert's that reconsideration is used re: decisions made at the same meeting.
AugustinD

04/08/2021 8:40 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 04/08/2021 4:20 PM
Pretty sure in Robert's that reconsideration is used re: decisions made at the same meeting.
You're right. I think this is the second time I posted this falsehood (by accident), too. My City Council pulled this a few years ago with a controversial subdivision vote, motioning to reconsider several weeks later. So it stuck in my mind. But there must have been more to this motion for the City parliamentarian not to have said something.

Robert's Rules and other sites say what KerryL1 posted.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/09/2021 1:30 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 04/08/2021 4:20 PM
If you think the prior board member's request has merit, you can put the minutes back on the agenda and the Board can decide whether to accept his amendment or not. If his amendment is not about something that must be in minutes, e.g., who attended, or the wording of a motion, do not bother with it.

The motion if a board member thinks it's worthwhile is to vote to rescind the decision to approve the minutes of xx/xx/xxx. If a majority is in favor, someone would make a motion that the minute be amended to say xxx. Then vote.

Sound like the best way to handle it.
BenA2
(Texas)

04/09/2021 5:58 PM  
All current board members can vote on approving the minutes. There is no requirement that they had to be at the meeting, much less that they had to be a board member at the time. Former board members cannot vote.
HaleyH
(Illinois)

04/10/2021 5:47 PM  
Thank you everyone for your comments.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Approval of Board Meeting Minutes

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement