Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, April 13, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Advice for Protecting Entrance Gates..Speed Bumps?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
HappyE
(Texas)

04/06/2021 7:30 AM  
We are getting ready to repair our entrance and exit gates after a year and half of being out of operation (we had no funds to fix it). They were previously damaged by vehicles hitting them. Is it worth installing a speed hump like the link below to try to slow down vehicles before the gate? We did install high quality LPR cameras as well so that at least now we can catch plates, but I imagine it may still be uncertain whether we can recover funds even if we can identify the person who hit them. I'd like to put in measures to prevent anyone from hitting the gates at all if possible.

https://www.postguard.com/speed-humps

Is there a way for me to attach a picture to show the entrance area?

Thanks all!
SheliaH
(Indiana)

04/06/2021 9:12 AM  
You might want to run this by your association insurance carrier and perhaps your association attorney.

Depending on the cost, you might want to try the cameras first to see if that can help reduce the possibility of damage, along with a sign posting the speed limit with a warning that drivers can and will be held liable for damaging the gate. In some areas, you may need some sort of permit to post this sign (check with your city or county)
HappyE
(Texas)

04/06/2021 9:33 AM  
We do already have cameras that can catch license plates... Should someone damage the gate and we have the plates, are the police able to help facilitate charging them and recovering funds to repair the gate? I'm guessing if we can identify hey live in the neighborhood, we can just assess them the repair costs to their account, but if they are from outside the neighborhood, I'm afraid we can't actually recover damages
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/06/2021 10:19 AM  
Happy

If your association let the gates sit unused for a year and and a half as they did not have the money to fix them, I suggest your association has major money problems.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/06/2021 3:03 PM  
I would also consider emergency vehicles. Speed humps are not recommended as it can cause them issues.

What are they wrecking into and damaging so often? Maybe that needs to be addressed instead of prevention. Why can't they be widened or fixed so less likely to be crashed into?

Former HOA President
BenA2
(Texas)

04/06/2021 3:21 PM  
Posted By HappyE on 04/06/2021 9:33 AM
We do already have cameras that can catch license plates... Should someone damage the gate and we have the plates, are the police able to help facilitate charging them and recovering funds to repair the gate? I'm guessing if we can identify hey live in the neighborhood, we can just assess them the repair costs to their account, but if they are from outside the neighborhood, I'm afraid we can't actually recover damages

I think you can only assess damages to an owner if your governing documents say so. Otherwise, treat it like any other traffic accident, call the police. If you have a tag #, they should be able to identify the owner. If the person leaves the scene without identifying themselves they could be charged with hit & run. Recovering damages would be like any other civil matter, either they or their insurance should pay. If not, you would have to take them to court.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/06/2021 8:09 PM  
Happy,

What it is worth to the Association is, of course, up to the board.

Keep in mind that the membership may or may not agree with you.
I would suggest polling the membership or, perhaps, holding a special meeting of the membership to discuss and give an advisory vote on the speed bump idea.
Do research and get pros and cons of having them.

LetA
(Nevada)

04/07/2021 6:29 AM  
We installed Shark teeth on the gates, they are far less expensive than cameras and only damage the cars of the bozos that bump the gates open instead of speed humps that damage every car that passes through.
Cameras cost about $10k at the low end.
HappyE
(Texas)

04/07/2021 11:28 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 04/06/2021 10:19 AM
Happy

If your association let the gates sit unused for a year and and a half as they did not have the money to fix them, I suggest your association has major money problems.

We DID have major money problems. Our last management company messed up water billing and drained our reserve and operating funds by the time we found out (it's a long story). We've increased dues and done drastic cost savings measures this past year to get back to a healthy operating place. We put out a survey and the majority of residents DO want the gate fixed, so we feel we're at a good place to start that repair. I just want to make sure we're doing everything we can to protect our investment.

The entrance gate was broken by a motorcycle that hit it going full speed while it was closed. The exit gate was broken by a car that hit it while it was in the process of opening (and continued hitting it multiple times) before it was open.

I do plan to propose less operating hours (keeping them open from 6am-8pm) to reduce wear and tear. We generally don't have crime issues during the day. (And I realize gates don't really deter crime, but people that want them think they do).

Great points brought up by everyone..I think now that our cameras are working well, maybe we try it without speed humps for now and see how many incidents happen
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/07/2021 11:38 AM  
Happy

As they have not been operating for a year maybe people will stop believing they are safer behind gates and you might consider removing them entirely.
HappyE
(Texas)

04/07/2021 3:33 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 04/07/2021 11:38 AM
Happy

As they have not been operating for a year maybe people will stop believing they are safer behind gates and you might consider removing them entirely.

Actually we have had an uptick in car breakins and people point to the gate being out of commission as a contributing cause =X. We did spent a buttload of money on new motors just before they broke, so it hopefully shouldn't take too much to get them going again.
LetA
(Nevada)

04/08/2021 6:16 AM  
Install a magnetic lock at the gate too. We are looking into that as well. We have been having people force open the gates and shimming through
JesseE
(Florida)

04/09/2021 11:18 AM  
Posted By LetA on 04/08/2021 6:16 AM
Install a magnetic lock at the gate too. We are looking into that as well. We have been having people force open the gates and shimming through

A magnetic lock? I'd be interested in this, as we have a problem with people trying to pry open our gates to get through on foot. After spending $8k, we'd like to avoid that...
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Advice for Protecting Entrance Gates..Speed Bumps?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement