Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, April 13, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA Pool Openings 2021
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MelW
(New Hampshire)

03/03/2021 12:17 PM  
I am one of 5 Board Members discussing our Condo Complex Pool Opening, sitting area, and bathrooms for 2021 due to Covid 19. Some members feel it is no problem, other's like myself, do. Last summer the pool remained closed due to Covid 19. From what the latest February 2021 CDC mentioned, water does not seem to be the problem - it is social distancing, the sitting areas and bathrooms. Any and All Advice would be Much Appreciated. We live In New Hampshire.

Sincerely,

MelW
MarkM19
(Texas)

03/03/2021 12:37 PM  
Mel,
I live in the middle of Texas so our weather is obviously much warmer than yours. We followed the Governors guidelines an added a few precautions.

1) we limited the capacity to 25% then 50% towards the end of last Summer.
2) we used a Reservation system so owners could book 1 1/2 hour blocks of time.
3) We made each owner who chose to book a time sign a waiver. Who knows if this would truly protect us but we did it and did not have any issues with compliance.
4) We have a Pool Monitor on site while the Pool was open and when the time slot was over they would clear the area and do some disinfection by spraying the furniture. We also had cleaning stations setup if owners wanted to self clean before using the furniture.

We were open for 165 days last year and with only a few minor issues. Some people beat the reservation system by booking under different names on back to back time slots. It costs us a few bucks to put it all in place but kept the wolves of the board by the keeping things open.

It looks like we are going to have less restrictions this year from our Governor. The board has it on our next agenda to see how we decide to handle things this season.
BillH10
(Texas)

03/03/2021 1:00 PM  
Mel

We live in a slightly different part of Texas than Mark. Our association used similar strategies:

1. Capacity limitations which were relaxed as the swimming season went on.
2. Initially there were reservations and 3 or 4 hour time blocks, both were dropped after the first month or so when it became apparent the demand to use the facility was not as great as had been forecast.
3. Some mask requirements, I do not now recall the details. Certainly not required when in the water.
4. Lounges were spaced 6'-8' apart unless those occupying them were from the same household.
5. Lounges cleaned by monitors after each use.
6. One hour closure in the middle of the day to clean the chairs, tables, lounges, splash pad, etc.

It worked well. The Beach Club was not as heavily used last summer as in previous years or as had been forecast.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

03/03/2021 1:53 PM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 03/03/2021 12:37 PM
Mel,
I live in the middle of Texas so our weather is obviously much warmer than yours. We followed the Governors guidelines an added a few precautions.

1) we limited the capacity to 25% then 50% towards the end of last Summer.
2) we used a Reservation system so owners could book 1 1/2 hour blocks of time.
3) We made each owner who chose to book a time sign a waiver. Who knows if this would truly protect us but we did it and did not have any issues with compliance.
4) We have a Pool Monitor on site while the Pool was open and when the time slot was over they would clear the area and do some disinfection by spraying the furniture. We also had cleaning stations setup if owners wanted to self clean before using the furniture.

We were open for 165 days last year and with only a few minor issues. Some people beat the reservation system by booking under different names on back to back time slots. It costs us a few bucks to put it all in place but kept the wolves of the board by the keeping things open.

It looks like we are going to have less restrictions this year from our Governor. The board has it on our next agenda to see how we decide to handle things this season.

This is what we did. I also spread out the loungers, and we bought some shade umbrellas so people wouldn't cluster under the shady areas. We also posted warning signs about social distancing, assumed risk, etc.

The only thing we will be doing this year is signs and hand sanitizer stations.
MarkM19
(Texas)

03/03/2021 2:00 PM  
Barbara,
Yes we did the same thing with the furniture. We grouped the chairs in areas with 4 or 5 chairs and removed many of the chairs to limit congregating. We have a large Pool area so this was easy to accomplish and our chairs and loungers are very heavy so not easy to move around the Pool area.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

03/03/2021 5:25 PM  
You should contact your local health department to see what they say. In most cases the policy will be based on the CDC recommendations and the statistics in your area.

You may be able to open, but I would guess there will be rules regarding capacity and make wearing. You may also to consider getting a monitor to enforce whatever rules you develop. And figure out what will be do e about keeping the place sanitary.

This may cost more money, so if it's not in your budget, you may have to consider some sort of surcharge for the users. He sure to run the numbers and pill your homeowners to see what they want to do.
KerryL1
(California)

03/04/2021 12:22 PM  
We spaced the lounge chairs and removed some. We have just 2 chairs at tables that seat 4. We have an emergency rule that only residents are permitted. No guests.

Instead of once a day, the furniture is sanitized 2X daily.

We have very few children in our urban high rise. Our pool doesn't get a lot of use. Mainly lap swimmers the time of year. Some sun tan seekers if sunny.

The bathrooms are in a building that has our Fitness Center which is currently closed. So no bathrooms right now, but elevators are nearby & residents just fo go to their units (we hope!)
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

03/05/2021 9:28 AM  
Poolside attendance will not be to everyone's acceptance in 2021. If your community wants pool service, open to community standard and personally stay away if you're not comfortable. I can understand your position.
AndreaS7
(Florida)

03/18/2021 5:08 PM  
I am in Florida. We have a brand new pool. Due to COVID furniture has been put away. All the other small pools around me are open. The board only insists we can use the pool when the manager is around from 9-1 one day a week. How can we get the board to open the pool more days and longer than 4 hours? We do have 2 cleaning women and 2 maintenance men that could check the bathroom during the week, during the day
Sincerely,
Andrea
BenA2
(Texas)

03/19/2021 1:47 PM  
I would not call the Texas governor's order "guidelines" by any stretch. To my knowledge he is not offering guidelines at all. He lifted all restrictions and said that Texans will do the right thing. Unfortunately, most will not do the right thing, at least not in the county I live in.

We decided to lift all restrictions because we have no way to monitor the pool for violations. At least when the state had restrictions in place, most people would respect the rules. Now that the state restrictions are completely lifted, the board felt that it would be an uphill battle getting compliance.

The good news is that the smart people will follow the CDC guidelines and the others will be up for Darwin awards.
DavidG45
(Delaware)

03/29/2021 7:49 AM  
I'm curious who you used for a pool monitor. I am considering the same for our pool, but I don't think the property manager is too excited about hiring someone and having to do a payroll for them. Just some summer break college student would do, but I'm not sure how we pay them.
ChrisD14
(Florida)

03/29/2021 8:39 AM  
Our pool was closed for several months at the start of the pandemic in 2020, but then opened again in the late summer. We advised residents to be careful of keeping a social distance and be mindful of potential risks when using the outdoor furniture and bathrooms. I was not a board member when this happened, but I don't remember any other precautions (like more frequent cleaning of the bathroom or the gym).

Overall usage for the rest of the year was light. I think people who were paranoid stayed away completely and people who were cautious didn't use the pool much. Those who didn't care for the virus protocols used the pool as much as before.

With the onset of warm weather here in Florida (we have already had several days hit 90), the pool usage seems to have increased a little over last year.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

03/29/2021 8:43 AM  
Because of assorted rowdiness at our pool, we ended up hiring off-duty police officers and gave them the authority to shut it down and send everyone home if people didn't behave. We had a swim at your own risk pool because of our size and so the monitor didn't have to be a lifeguard - he was there to check pool passes (required to enter), make sure residents were there with their guests (we had parents and grandparents who would send little kids to the pool and then leave), and of course, make sure some basic rules of engagement were followed (e.g. little kids needed to wear swim diapers so poop and whatnot would land in the water).

You could hire college kids, but if you want your monitors to double as lifeguards, you should check to see if they have training (I think there are classes through the Red Cross - if the kid wants the job, he/she can pay for it). Since COVID hasn't gone anywhere, you may have to have several to monitor social distancing, mask-wearing, etc.

If there are other HOAs in your area with pools, you could ask how they find people and how much they pay, to get an idea of what you might charge. And don't worry about the property manager - he/she works for the association, not the other way around, and I'm sure you aren't the first community that's hired summer help. If your contract states payroll for the association is one of the services provided, they need to buck up and do the job.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA Pool Openings 2021

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement