Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 06, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Insurance and Tile Roofs
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JimH29
(Florida)

03/01/2021 5:07 PM  
Our BOD and the ARC (Architectural Review Committee) are in open discussion regarding the tile roofs and insurance in our 56 home, HOA community in central Florida.

The discussion is centered around one homeowner who was seeking homeowners insurance and the the price of the insurance policy saw a significant increase in premium due to the cost of a replacement roof as the tile roof is now 30 years old. The insurance policy was increased to cover the cost of a replacement roof. I do believe that the elderly homeowner had their home insurance lapse due to an oversight on their part.

The HOA and the ARC are now discussing whether or not to allow different roof styles (asphalt, rubber tile and metal).

Have other HOA's experience anything like this? I would think that the insurance companies can generally state any reason to increase premiums and I wonder what the true shelf life of a tile roof is.

Looking forward to any and all comments regarding this matter. If there is a similar post regarding this subject, would someone please direct me to it. Many thanks!

JohnT38
(South Carolina)

03/01/2021 5:27 PM  
Are these condos or detached homes? If it is condos I personally think this would not be pleasing to the eye.
JimH29
(Florida)

03/01/2021 5:54 PM  
The 56 homes are detached, stand alone homes.ir is a clubhouse with a tile roof as well and the HOA is obviously responsible for the upkeep. That insurance policy did not go up substantially. Nor did the insurance policy of my personal home. I can not speak for other homeowners if they saw increases this year.

I would agree that if they were condos and the owners had a choice of what style roof they wanted, it would not look pleasing to the eye.

With all the homes having tile roofs, it made our community unique and desirable when built.

Thirty years later, there is this talk about allowing owners to deviate from the tile roof as it could put undue stress on ones' finances. I should note that there are a majority of single elderly homeowners. Thirty eight homes (68%) are occupied by those who are retired.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

03/01/2021 6:24 PM  
Posted By JimH29 on 03/01/2021 5:54 PM
The 56 homes are detached, stand alone homes.ir is a clubhouse with a tile roof as well and the HOA is obviously responsible for the upkeep. That insurance policy did not go up substantially. Nor did the insurance policy of my personal home. I can not speak for other homeowners if they saw increases this year.

I would agree that if they were condos and the owners had a choice of what style roof they wanted, it would not look pleasing to the eye.

With all the homes having tile roofs, it made our community unique and desirable when built.

Thirty years later, there is this talk about allowing owners to deviate from the tile roof as it could put undue stress on ones' finances. I should note that there are a majority of single elderly homeowners. Thirty eight homes (68%) are occupied by those who are retired.

Others may disagree but I don't believe in making this kind of decision because there are a majority of elderly owners. If it was an official 55+ community I might feel different. We have this same issue in my community where the older folks didn't want their dues increased and it eventually led to severe maintenance and financial problems. I'm older myself but I believe that my financial situation should not drag others and the community down. Make your decision on what's best for the health and stability of the community.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

03/01/2021 7:12 PM  
1. How much less will your houses sell for when you have mixed roofing materials in the community?

2. How quickly do your houses sell now vs. houses with different style roofs? In other words, there are communities with a lot of for sale signs and others with hardly any. How likely is your situation to change for the worse?

3. Which of the following benefits of tile roofing are you willing to forego?

https://tileroofing.org/why-tile/durability-longevity/

4. I have asphalt roofing. Good for 20-25 yrs. You have tile roofing. Supposedly good for 50-100 years (maybe not in FL though).

5. What John said.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
TimB4
(Tennessee)

03/02/2021 12:19 AM  
See:

How Long Does a Roof Last in Florida? from a roofing company in FL

How Your Roof Impacts Your Homeowners Insurance

Hurricane season is here. You might be surprised how your insurance has changed. 2020 article in the Sun Sentinel

The insurance cost would be one thing.
You say the roofs are 30 years old, per the first article I listed, this is close to end of life for a tile roof in FL. The cost of the roof is another (200-300 per sq foot vs. $100 per square foot for asphalt).

If your development has a lot of retired individuals on fixed incomes, they might not be able to afford the upkeep of a tile roof. If this occurs, the development may look shaby and unattractive to buyers.

All that said, we tend to worry about color vs material.
TimB4
(Tennessee)

03/02/2021 12:24 AM  
I don't recall seeing it asked. Do your covenants specify roofing material?

If it does, then unless the covenants are amended, there is no option for the Association but to comply with the covenants.

If it does not, then I don't see an issue in allowing owners of detached homes to choose a different material.
Try to match the color of the tile would be a good compromise.
JimH29
(Florida)

03/02/2021 4:44 AM  
Thanks to all who have replied. Your comments, knowledge and access to links regarding this subject are greatly appreciated.

Wondering if any other communities with tile roofing have any first hand experience with allowing tile roofs to be replaced with other materials and what drove that process.

Again, many thanks to those who have responded!
SheliaH
(Indiana)

03/02/2021 7:22 AM  
I second (or third?) what John said. There's another discussion on this website about a special assessment, and the poster noted the challenge in approving a special assessment or even an increase on regular assessments because the documents require a homeowner vote. I said most people don't vote on paying more for anything unless they absolutely have to, and unfortunately, some of the older homeowners vote things down because they figure they'll be gone (from the community or the planet) by the time you can no longer kick the can down the road.

But when you own a home, you have to plan as best as you can for replacements and major repairs because using things day in and out will cause them to wear out sooner or later. These folks will have to decide do they keep costs down or risk roof leaks or worse because the old roofs aren't doing the job anymore.

In the meantime, I might bring over a contractor and ask him or her to make some recommendations as to what would work best for the community. Function and safety is the first priority and even with all these material choices, there may be some that are more in harmony with the style of the house - perhaps the board could come up with a few and use that for a design standard to use for exterior change requests.
AbdulS
(South Carolina)

06/29/2021 3:05 AM  
Posted By JimH29 on 03/01/2021 5:07 PM
Our BOD and the ARC (Architectural Review Committee) are in open discussion regarding the tile roofs and insurance in our 56 home, HOA community in central Florida.

The discussion is centered around one homeowner who was seeking homeowners insurance and the the price of the insurance policy saw a significant increase in premium due to the cost of a replacement roof as the tile roof is now 30 years old. The insurance policy was increased to cover the cost of a replacement roof. I do believe that the elderly homeowner had their home insurance lapse due to an oversight on their part.

The HOA and the ARC are now discussing whether or not to allow different roof styles (asphalt, rubber tile and metal).

Have other HOA's experience anything like this? I would think that the insurance companies can generally state any reason to increase premiums and I wonder what the true shelf life of a tile roof is.

Looking forward to any and all comments regarding this matter. If there is a similar post regarding this subject, would someone please direct me to it. Many thanks!

I too agree with john, it will be really awkward if it's condo,
LetA
(Nevada)

06/29/2021 8:21 AM  
Posted By JimH29 on 03/02/2021 4:44 AM
Thanks to all who have replied. Your comments, knowledge and access to links regarding this subject are greatly appreciated.

Wondering if any other communities with tile roofing have any first hand experience with allowing tile roofs to be replaced with other materials and what drove that process.

Again, many thanks to those who have responded!

Jim, look further down the road. Technology is rapidly changing. "tile" roofs are being replaced with solar tiles, as are other types of roofing materials. Who knows, in five or ten more years the percentage of people with rooftop PV systems may be near 70% of all households. The aesthetics of communities need to change with technology.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/29/2021 8:24 AM  
Jim

If your HOA strives for a given level of appearance, I would say roofs must be replaced with near identical type roofing.
KerryL1
(California)

06/29/2021 9:02 AM  
I'm with JohnC. A mix of old tile and new whatever roofs would be unsightly and diminish the property values in your HOA. Some uniformity really is a good thing. Tile should indeed last 100 years.

We have a large public Spanish colonial building complex from the 1920s with tile roofs near our HOA. The entire complex was rehabbed into shops, restaurants, etc. Every roof tile from the old structure was removed, numbered, etc. and replaced on the final project. Excellent!
MikeB23
(Louisiana)

06/29/2021 9:49 AM  
Do you really believe that?
KerryL1
(California)

06/29/2021 10:56 AM  
To Mike: Does who really believe what????
AbdulS
(South Carolina)

06/30/2021 6:54 AM  
Posted By JimH29 on 03/01/2021 5:54 PM

Agree with this it will be awkard if they are condos, it must have same and unique design
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Insurance and Tile Roofs

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement