Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, February 25, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Question about fence of a corner lot
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BaaikoC
(Georgia)

02/22/2021 4:55 PM  
Hello,
My house is a corner lot. I have a street on the side as well as in front of the house. From the street, there is a 2 ft grass patch, and a 5 foot sidewalk, which means that my lawn starts 7 feet from the street. When we did a survey of the house, we realized that the sidewalk and the grass patch are within property lines. (See illustration, orange line indicates property lines)

The HOA document for fence specification specifies, "If the fence is adjacent to an alley, street or road, the fence must be at least 2 feet away from such alley, street or road."

My question is: How close to the sidewalk, on my lawn, can I install the fence? Does the "2 ft away" specification apply to the sidewalk or just the street?

Thank you.

Attachment: 122255250271.pdf

SheliaH
(Indiana)

02/22/2021 5:56 PM  
Did you ask the board? If so, what was the response? When you submit your exterior change request (usually required for things like fences) it may help to bring a diagram of what you want to do (don't forget measurements) and your survey.
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/22/2021 6:16 PM  
Well, you wouldn't want to fence in the sidewalk as that would cause issues.

I would put the fence 2 feet in from the sidewalk as it would cause the least issues for me.

Once you apply for approval of the fence from the Association, they will let you know if it's in the wrong place.
ND
(PA)

02/22/2021 8:06 PM  
From info provided, I think you could install a fence right along the edge of the sidewalk on your house-side of the sidewalk. I've seen that done before in similar situations and I think it is somewhat typical. I assume that's perhaps what you may want to do in order to maximize your fenced-in yard space.

Installing any closer to the street than that just doesn't make sense. You can't install on top of the sidewalk, and you can't install on the street-side of the sidewalk, which results in you fencing in the sidewalk.

That said, I have seen fences right along the sidewalk get damaged by kids riding bikes/scooters/skateboards on the sidewalk or other possible damage by people "recreating" on the sidewalk in close proximity to your fence . . . so you may want to consider backing off the sidewalk a bit too.

But I also suggest seeing what else already exists in your neighborhood as that will have set a precedent as to what is likely allowed (by whoever is interpreting your design standards and approving architectural requests) and also in keeping with other similar improvements already existing in the neighborhood.
BaaikoC
(Georgia)

02/23/2021 7:09 AM  
Thank you for all the responses. Yes, obviously we do not want to put up a fence on the sidewalk, or enclose the sidewalk inside the fence :-)
I wanted to find out if the "2 ft away" wording extended to include the sidewalk or only to the "street, alley or road".

DouglasK1
(Florida)

02/23/2021 8:11 AM  
You might want to find out if there are any easements on your property that would affect putting in a fence. In my last association, each lot had a 5 foot utility and sidewalk easement along the front property line. If you had a professional survey done, hopefully that would show any easements, if you have the plat for the development, that should show them too.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/23/2021 9:09 AM  
Baa

I am surprised the association allows fences in the front of the house. Were it me, I would place the fence 2 feet in from the sidewalk as a sign of being a good neighbor.
BenA2
(Texas)

02/23/2021 9:36 AM  
I think the wording is very clear and the fence has to be at least 2' from the street. It does not need to be any distance from the sidewalk.

Obviously, the sidewalk being on your property brings up different issues but you seem to have already realized that.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Question about fence of a corner lot

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement