Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, February 25, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Maryland HOA Board and Officers
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SharonC12
(Texas)

02/21/2021 4:47 AM  
In the State of Maryland in the County of Anne Arundel, are HOA Officers required to be HOA Directors?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/21/2021 7:52 AM  
Posted By SharonC12 on 02/21/2021 4:47 AM
In the State of Maryland in the County of Anne Arundel, are HOA Officers required to be HOA Directors?

It depends on your association docs, not the state.
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/21/2021 8:45 AM  
I haven't looked at the statutes.
Take a look yourself: https://codes.findlaw.com/md/real-property/#!tid=NA03512309CC311DB9BCF9DAC28345A2A

Typically, the governing documents only require the President to be a Director.
That said, it's also typical for the board to simply appoint themselves as Officers due to lack of (or expected lack of) volunteers.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/21/2021 10:56 AM  
Our Docs require all Directors be members/owners and all Officers be selected from Members of the BOD. thus all Officers are members/owners. No outside BOD Members nor Officers allowed.
KerryL1
(California)

02/21/2021 12:06 PM  
Read your Bylaws, Sharon. Are you on the Baord?
SharonC12
(Texas)

02/21/2021 3:49 PM  
The Articles of Incorporation are clear that Directors govern.
The Declaration is clear that the Directors govern.
The Bylaws have a clear clause that the Directors govern, then there is a clause that says Directors supervise the officers, agents, etc., thus there is some question whether officers must be Directors.
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/21/2021 3:55 PM  
Must they be?

As I posted, typically governing documents only require that the President is a board member.

Other positions may be filled by anyone.

However, as previously posted, there are rarely any volunteers so the board appoints officers from amongst themselves.
KerryL1
(California)

02/21/2021 4:23 PM  
Can you please cite what else your bylaws say about Officers, Sharon?

Also check MD corporations codes on officers in corporations, which your HOA probably is.

Btw, why do you ask?
KerryL1
(California)

02/21/2021 4:24 PM  
Can you please cite what else your bylaws say about Officers, Sharon?

Also check MD corporations codes on officers in corporations, which your HOA probably is.

Btw, why do you ask?
SharonC12
(Texas)

02/21/2021 4:41 PM  
I ask because the President of the HOA is not a Director and it does not seem compliant from an instinctive perspective, if no other.
MaxB4
(Maine)

02/21/2021 5:03 PM  
Sorry George, it looks as if Tim had you silenced.
SharonC12
(Texas)

02/21/2021 5:06 PM  
I failed to answer an earlier question. I am on the board of a condominium association in Texas. My son is in the Maryland HOA where the President is not a Director.
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/21/2021 5:25 PM  
Posted By SharonC12 on 02/21/2021 5:06 PM

My son is in the Maryland HOA where the President is not a Director.

The requirement to be a director would be contained in the governing documents.
Either the articles of incorporation or the bylaws.
AnnaJ1
(Maryland)

02/23/2021 6:21 AM  
I am in Maryland and president of our HOA. The requirement should be listed in the HOA bylaws. But, as I have always understood it, each board member is a director. Within the Board of Directors, there are officer positions, ie. president, secretary, VP, etc. To me, if you aren't first a director, how can you be an officer? It's almost like working at Walmart without being hired.
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/23/2021 2:12 PM  
Hi Anna,

Almost right.

Each Board member is a Director. This is true.
Each Director sits on the board.
Each Director has one vote.
The Board, via majority vote, makes the decisions for the Association.

With the Association there are Officers.
Officers implement the decisions of the Board and handle the day to day tasks of running the Association.
Officers make reports to the Board so the Board can make informed decisions.
Officers may sit in on board meetings to make reports and answer questions but do not have a vote.
Officers Serve at the pleasure of the Board (the Board appoints and the Board may remove)
There are often some qualifiers for Officers (President must be member of board, The Pres. and VP may not hold dual officer positions, etc.). If there are no qualifiers for a position that specifies that the individual appointed to that Office must be a member of the Board (i.e. a Director) then that position may be filled by anyone the Board sees appropriate to appoint to that position.

Officers and Directors are two different positions with different authority and responsibility.
Often, due to lack of volunteers, both positions are filled by the same individuals.
This is simply like having two jobs within the same company.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Maryland HOA Board and Officers

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement